? for electronic eng

Why can't video card manufactures make a video card that fits into 2 or more 5.25 slots and connected with a round cable.Would there be that much signal loss that it can't be done.My antec 900 case would work .

What don't you understand?Basically you would put the video card in 2 slots that the cd or dvd's would go.Then connect with cable, wouldn't have to worry bout how long it was or how heavy it is.Most cases come with a rear fan the antec 900 has a massive 1 on top which would vent a lot of the heat.Just a thought.

Why can't video card manufactures make a video card that fits into 2 or more 5.25 slots and connected with a round cable.Would there be that much signal loss that it can't be done.My antec 900 case would work .

Good question. I suppose it's possible but there could be problems with signal quality like you say but they could be overcome I imagine. I cannot see any manufacturer investing any money in developing this idea however when all that's needed is a new case.

The best I can come up with at the moment is the PCI-E extender cable here that can be up to 15 inches long. If you are into modding it may be possible to locate the graphics card somewhere else but you may have stability problems?

Cheers

Paul

I suppose as it's a digital interface you could have the card any distance away you liked provided there was some electronics at both ends to inject the signal... don't know if anyone's made such a device though.

In an old PCI riser thing I had there was something onboard to clean the power, so that's probably an issue.

Reason why I asked is cards are getting bigger and bigger.More than 1 pcb etc.They are getting taller and longer it seems all the time.Just wondering why it hasn't been done yet.

I'll be checking that link out to the cable may get one for grins and giggles if it is cheap enough to test it out.

$60.00 for a 15" cable is a bit too much just to goof around with.It looks like it is possible though.Will have to keep this in mind for my next case mod.

Edited by wildman2

Reason why I asked is cards are getting bigger and bigger.More than 1 pcb etc.They are getting taller and longer it seems all the time.Just wondering why it hasn't been done yet.

I'll be checking that link out to the cable may get one for grins and giggles if it is cheap enough to test it out.

$60.00 for a 15" cable is a bit too much just to goof around with.It looks like it is possible though.Will have to keep this in mind for my next case mod.

It hasen't been done yet because the current design for graphics cards is perfectly fine.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

i'm pretty sure this isn't the product i was actually looking for, but the ExpressBox is an external enclosure for pci-e graphics cards.

clearly this technology is aimed at laptop users with no means to upgrade their videocard, but i see no reason why you couldn't use it in a desktop. as others have said though, it seems pretty pointless.

That's almost exactly what I was thinking of :P

It does attach up to a small PCI Express though, so I'm guessing you can't use it for graphics?

as i understand it, you could run any pci-e 16x card through a lower bandwidth pci-e connection albeit with reduced performance. the product i linked to only supports cards that require 55w or less though, so really it's the lack of power that makes it unsuitable for running a decent graphics card.

if there were more demand for something like this i'm sure someone would have made it work by now.