Which Card?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GTX 260 (216 Core)

or

Radeon HD 4870

if both were stock clocked (and you weren't willing to overclock it yourself) it'd be a tough pick and I'd say go for whichever is cheaper. But since the 260 can overclock so ridiculously, I'd say that's the winner here.

Ive got two sapphire HD4870s and i like them a lot, people talk about how the other cards win, but does getting 10 fps really matter, its nothing you can see, when i had a single card it ran all the games smooth, last time i saw a sapphire HD4870 on newegg it was 189.00 usa, the card also runs very cool with the 80mm fan they have on it. I use to run nvidia cards but dont buy from them anymore just because they like to stick it to you with their pricing, and if no one else has a card close to theirs they really stick it to you with 800.00 dollar cards.

You can get a Republic of Gamers 4870 for 164 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121288

But wait till next week because prices will drop once more with the 4890.

Actually thats just the Dark Knight Edition, the linkt below is the Matrix, Asus's ROG series ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121298

So guys.......

Ultimately would you get the GTX 260 (216 core) or the Radeon HD 4870 (if the price was exactly the same, because it is for me)

they are dead even with eachother, since the 260 will win in some games and the 4870 will win in others so if you aren't going to overclock it, just find out which one excels in more of the games you play (though they often perform so close to each other, that even if one wins, it's not by much), if you intend to overclock your GPU, I say 260 all the way.

I have done some reseach and found that the NVIDIA cards noramlly plan better with newer games than ATI, while the ATI cards normally play better on older games.

I play both actually. I play WoW, CoD4, CSS, HL2, BF2142, BF2, C&C 3, Starcraft (OLD-SCHOOL), (soon to be) Starcraft 2, and games similar to those.

With that into consideration, which card would you guys say?

I know the GTX260 would play better on HL2, CSS & almost the same with the HD 4870 (1gb) in CoD4, but I just want to see what you guys think before I pay $180-$200 for a ghaphics card

If it makes any difference, I plan on getting either a Phenom II x4 3.0GHz (AM2+) or a Phenom II x4 3.2GHz (AM3) w/ a AMD 790GX NB & 4GB of DDR2 1066 RAM.

Edited by DeathNote