overclocking gtx 295 in quad sli

jtravapd

Exactly! The way I look at it, money is no issue for me since I have a good job and don't spend it on frivoulous, things like a nice house or car or good food. (lol) My computer is my toy and the way I look at it I can buy the best vid card i can get, best processor I can get, (i7 965, 6gigs of ocz 1600ddr3 ram,) and have a monster platform to upgrade later on. Sure you can get better monetary value with vid cards, but how about when prices of gtx 295's drop? While others might be running a lesser pair of cards in sli, I will be running a pair of gtx 295's in sli. Won't be top dog anymore, but it will still be farther ahead than if I had gone with a lesser card to begin with.

Of course all of this is based on the fact that I have the money to spend on it. If I didn't the 965 could be seen as a terrible waste, but I can't wait to overclock it to a goal of 4.5 after I get a solid cooling solution.

And yes, you need to look at oc'ing your cpu man.

he has an i7 965 if I'm not mistaken

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do u still see the sli load bar with 2 295's in quad-sli or like a quad-sli logo in the corner or something? i have both of mine installed and hooke dup and im not seeing ether and/or being able to enable/disable sli in the nvidia control panel.......

This is OVERCLOCKERS CLUB not MONEY MANAGEMENT CLUB

ya but this isn't LET'S BLOW MONEY CLUB either

I'm surprised you are posting that, your build seems very well built for the $$ minus the xfx 4870

Edited by IVIYTH0S

who cares how much we spend on our rigs. i'll have a little over 5 grand in mine once i get all my watercooling stuff. BUT on the same note i have no kids or girlfriend at the moment and i work 60 hours a week so take that and shove it

I just came in and noticed that you indicated if you had a 60 hz refresh rate is would lower your framrates. I have a 24" 1080p with a 75 refresh rate. Should I use it for gaming and benchmarks?

I am when it comes to price for performance, I'm just out to get everyone the best deal for the purpose they need it for. I'm only here to help, we shouldn't be supporting paying 500 dollars for a video card now should we? I learned my lesson with my $450 dollar 8800gtx, yeah it was good, but yeah a few months later that investment was pointless. What's wrong with spending like 2 fifths's the money and getting 3-4 fifths of the performance?

than I could see there being more of a justification for a more expensive card but 90% or more of people with LCD's have them with 60hz refresh rates meaning you aren't getting to experience those lovely framerates that your video card can produce.

Hi Matt. Just need a little info. How much will the 60hz refresh rate lower your framrates? I have a Q9650 @ 3780 with 2 xfx 285 blacks in sli.

75hertz = 75fps.

60hertz = 60fps.

ya but paying 500 dollars to please a 50 dollar game isn't a very good grasp of smart money spending. It's not like we're trying to please a 120hz monitor here I'm sure, which in that case I could see where more muscle is needed most of the 295's fps are bottlenecked by the monitor in every other game other than crysis.

Do you buy a Ferrari to drive 55 MPH?Yes! Do you buy it to go 150 MPH? Yes ! He has the money , its his money, he spent it on something he enjoys. Why debate whether it is smart or not. You seem to want to tell him he is not smart for spending his money on something he wants to spend it on as though you are his conscience. He could be running them on a 22 120HZ monitor or an old 17 inch CRT trying to slap down some serious 3D01 numbers. it really does not matter. Its getting old people being told they are making a big mistake for buying top end hardware because they want to or can. This is Overclockerclub not the penny pincher! Today i bought a complete water cooling kit for my wifes GTX 260 SLI Core I7 rig so she can play runescsape and surf the web on her 24inch monitor. I could have got her a 9800 GTX.......