ARMA II

GlimmerMan

I cant seem to get the game to run smoothly. Even on the lowest settings it feels like Ive got low FPS. The mouse has some input lag and even when I crank the game to "very high" it looks nothing like it does in screenshots... Its all blurry. Setting everything to normal makes the game look worse than BF2, but with none of the smoothness.

Edited by SMeeD

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we just have to stick around for future patches like with AA3. Although I don't think I'll stick around for the patches. I'm unfamiliar with the franchise, unlike AA. So I have no loyalty towards it.

I want to see a demo of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. From what I heard its a cross between Arma 2, CoD 4, and BF2. Although there aren't any real gameplay videos to justify any of the gameplay style yet. It releases this Autumn.

because the things that "work so well" are there to make the game easier to play, rather than to make it more realistic which is what A2 is going for.

Because it's complicated to do real-life actions? I would assume that the more smooth the controls are, the more realistic they are.

I cant seem to get the game to run smoothly. Even on the lowest settings it feels like Ive got low FPS. The mouse has some input lag and even when I crank the game to "very high" it looks nothing like it does in screenshots... Its all blurry. Setting everything to normal makes the game look worse than BF2, but with none of the smoothness.

Disable Vsync.

Had the game its really great, but my PC got r@ped by the game, its really graphic's hungry.

Liked it, but too boring, people who are into action shooters, not too sure if this game is for you.

But hey I couldn't even enjoy it b/c of my PC, so nvm <_<

Disable Vsync.

Tried. Its disabled in ATI CCC but from what Ive been reading that really doesnt do crap. AA doesnt seem to work either.... How I miss nvidia drivers...

Because it's complicated to do real-life actions? I would assume that the more smooth the controls are, the more realistic they are.

agreed, but what's complicated about ARMAs controls? you can remap them any way you like...

hmmm,

Downloaded the demo of this off steam today, based on some very positive reviews. Had every intention of buying, but 10% wont now.

On my rig, with everything set to Very High @ 1920 x 1200, it ran soomth as butter, and did look very good!

Thats where the praise ends:

The training was USELESS. For one, it never showed you what options you had in response to what people said to you. So I would just press one of the numbers, hoping its the response I want.

Throughtout the training, not ONCE did it tell you what buttons to use, and any instructions where very vague. This ment every 2 seconds I had to open up the controls to check what I was supposed to be pressing.

I must admit, I really did like the look and feel of the game. It was just MASSIVELY let down by its controls, and more to the point, it never telling you what the buttons where.

The list of posible controls was far too long to remember, and it seemed to have completely straaeed from the standard FPS controls. Apart WASD, and the left mouse button being "fire", everything else seemed different. Which is fine. But It would be nice if it just told you.

I am aware you can remap the controls, but there was just so many, that it was very difficult to gauge wheather applying my stantdard control set would work well with this game. As it had pretty much every key assigned already, there was little in the way of being able to re-asign them.

I did however like how it detected my old MS Sidewinder 2 joystick. I also liked how easy it was to have multiple keys assigned to an action. Meaning it was easy to add the joystick to the controls. Even though the game did seem to lack a "toggle" feature, as for many of the controls, you needed sperate keys (like for Gear up, and Gear down.)

Either way, from the short play I gave the game, I spent about 60% (no joke) of my time looking at the controls screen, and trying to figure out how to do simple things. Like pickup a gun, switch weapon, and get in a vehicle.

IT seems this game really is aimed at hardcore fans of this type of game. I played Operation Flashpoint back in the day, and liked that, but this just seems abit lacking in trying to get you to grips with it. Feels almost like you have turned up at a party where only PRO's are invited, and you being the n00b are un-welcome.

The training was USELESS. For one, it never showed you what options you had in response to what people said to you. So I would just press one of the numbers, hoping its the response I want.

Throughtout the training, not ONCE did it tell you what buttons to use, and any instructions where very vague. This ment every 2 seconds I had to open up the controls to check what I was supposed to be pressing.

I must admit, I really did like the look and feel of the game. It was just MASSIVELY let down by its controls, and more to the point, it never telling you what the buttons where.

The list of posible controls was far too long to remember, and it seemed to have completely straaeed from the standard FPS controls. Apart WASD, and the left mouse button being "fire", everything else seemed different. Which is fine. But It would be nice if it just told you.

I am aware you can remap the controls, but there was just so many, that it was very difficult to gauge wheather applying my stantdard control set would work well with this game. As it had pretty much every key assigned already, there was little in the way of being able to re-asign them.

I did however like how it detected my old MS Sidewinder 2 joystick. I also liked how easy it was to have multiple keys assigned to an action. Meaning it was easy to add the joystick to the controls. Even though the game did seem to lack a "toggle" feature, as for many of the controls, you needed sperate keys (like for Gear up, and Gear down.)

Either way, from the short play I gave the game, I spent about 60% (no joke) of my time looking at the controls screen, and trying to figure out how to do simple things. Like pickup a gun, switch weapon, and get in a vehicle.

IT seems this game really is aimed at hardcore fans of this type of game. I played Operation Flashpoint back in the day, and liked that, but this just seems abit lacking in trying to get you to grips with it. Feels almost like you have turned up at a party where only PRO's are invited, and you being the n00b are un-welcome.

That seems to be how the whole game is. They just stick you in and hope you figure things out on your own. The first day it was out multiplayer was retarded. Nobody knew what to do so 9/10 servers was just people crashing vehicles and TKing. Its gotten better now but its still there every once in a while.

Remapping keys is even worse when you use the Dvorak layout and dont remember QWERTY all too well. I had to mash my hand on the keyboard and now I know most of the basic keys.

Edited by SMeeD

hmmm,

Downloaded the demo of this off steam today, based on some very positive reviews. Had every intention of buying, but 10% wont now.

On my rig, with everything set to Very High @ 1920 x 1200, it ran soomth as butter, and did look very good!

Thats where the praise ends:

this pretty much summed up my experience with the game,,, and to top it all off while this was going on I very quickly realized that I was not having any fun whatsoever.....

it seems to me they didnt ask any gamers what they wanted, instead they are trying to tell us what we are gonna be fed,, I for one am gonna get my supper somewhere else

I dont think that they need to make games Easy,,,, but they do need to be 'easy to play' or we are gonna chuck it,,, its just like driving a truck that doesn't have power steering

Edited by feetfats

Ive been playing a little bit every couple days since release and once you get by the learning curve.... and find a server filled with people who actually want to complete the objective its quite fun. Just hiding in the bushes and shooting people in the back who walk by is fun. Coop is alright but i really like the games where you go PvP.