E8400 Vs I7 I Know You Guys Are Tired Of It...

My dilemma here is I am starting a new build and I am trying to debate if I should get a e8400 and OC that with promising gains like I have seen so far. Or should I get a I7 core instead and mildly overclock it with moderate gains?

I will mainly game on this computer and be playing at 1980x1080 or higher it really depends on the resolution of the television I am going to use for my setup but at least 1980x1080.

The thing that has me wondering the most is is it worth it to get an i7 processor right now? Mind you I am not upgrading my current system this new one will be from the ground up and the tech inside of me is leery about using an older socket for a PC that is meant to last for awhile.

Reviews I have read as well seem to show that the i7 is pretty much on par with older cpus as far as games, mind you I dont encode or do anything else much with this computer other than game or surf the net and do random things, but nothing specific.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on whether you want the system to be upgradeable. Personally I still think there's still some life left in the core2duo and you could do worse than a E8400+P45 Mobo+DDR2+GT260(216)/4870.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

get the e8400!!! i7 is pointless and a waste of money if you aren't going to use it for the things it DOES beat the 775's in. Gaming's crown goes to the e8000 series, you could always get a q6600 too and have the best of both worlds (just dont get the i7)

+1 on e8400.

i7 isn't a HUGE fantabulous upgrade. (fantabulous, yes.)

Price for performance, the core's still kick ..

besides, intel is not going to start producing CPU's with 32nm tech until early 2010.

E8400 is a great buy.

Sounds like everything feels the same, I will go with the e8400 and OC the beast I know in the past I have had a lot of success OCing intel based boards which is why I picked this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128358 -Motherboard

It sounds like a good pick for a mobo, but as far as memory is something like this okay?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227267 -Memory

Or can anyone recommend better?

It sounds like a good pick for a mobo, but as far as memory is something like this okay?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227267 -Memory

Or can anyone recommend better?

I'd maybe get the 1066mhz version of the memory if you really want to take that e8400 up as high as it will go. My 1066 reapers run great.

Defiantly go with the E8400 its an awesome processor. Im currently building myself a new computer based on that processor and i just finished building a friends. He has a 24inch dell LCD 1920x1200, with the E8400 and the 4870X2 he got he has been playing every game he has at the native resolution and gets great fps

E8400=Win

I own an E8400, its great, I have it OC'ed fantastically... but get the i7. You're building a system to last a long time, the 1336 socket will do just that. Remember, there were Pentium 4's that used socket 775 so its a good bet that 1336 will be around for many years. Dual cores are nice but when you get a game like Alan Wake or play RTS games that rely on computing power more than they do graphics, you'll wish you had the quad core. An overclocked E8400 wont get you better framerates than a stock E8400 in most any game, so the whole issue of overclocking that processor specifically for gaming is a bit moot. FEAR2 is optimized to make use of all the cores on a machine, and its a good bet that any future game will be as well. Consoles are getting their multicore processors, and since it seems like damn near every game these days is made with the console in mind, I would expect the future of gaming to be core-based, not clockspeed based. Not saying you wont love your E8400, but for a rig thats to last a while.... I would drop the extra couple hundred dollars and go for the future of intel sockets.