Ocing I7

t12am

I have tried and tried and yet fail and fail again. I would like to get to 4GHz but starting to think this is not going to happen. I Dont how much more i am comfortable pushing and I dont want to stay there just want to achieve it with stability. I seem to be able to get 3.8 very easy and obtain stability but thats it. my last test did run for an hour but then could not even get back to the OS, and was very hot ( I am On AIR)

AnteC 1200

i7 920 (2.66GHz) Asus P6T (Non DeluX) X58 (I7 model# 3841a346)

Noctua NH-U12P Duel 120mm Fan

6GB Corsair DomiNator 1.65v 8-8-8-24

Thermal Take 750w ToughPower

Asus GeForce GTX 295 / GPU: 576 MHz / Memory: 2 GHz

any suggestions would be great.

here is a post of the last test before i stoped last night.

Lots of Volts and Heat

This cpu fan and case are pretty good I had better temp results 1 try before this one but Multiplyer was 20 and bus under 200 (197 i think) ect ect ect .. but still was not stable.. does not like to even go into the OS after 4GHz

post-66172-1234376258_thumb.jpg

Those temps are fairly outrageous in my opinion. I'd back it back down and call it a day. Doesn't look like that chip has it in it... just my two cents.

:withstupid:

98c temps? Yeah, SO not worth it. I'd be perfectly happy with 3.8 and call it a day. You've easily reached the point of diminishing returns.

Well I wouldnt like to give up just yet even though I am getting there. Like I said I can bring those temps way down by lowering a few voltage setting and run 20 multiplier. I will be recording some more test tonight for now trying to gather info. I did shut that down for the temp after a few minutes and nothing else has even come close to those temps. untill that never went over the 76 degree mark

I did wonder about the heat sink but it did have some heat through it .. Its a pain in but to take off or adjust.

Edited by t12am

those are yucky temps.

can someone explain to me the difference between raising FSB to overclock vs raising multiplier?

I believe the front side bus is the better way to get a result from what i have read. Its more for system wide where as the multiplier is the CPU and although can get a quick reaction to what you might can achieve i am thinking you want take your time and find the setting by gains through the FSB.

Edited by t12am

My I7 didnt take that much voltage to reach 4ghz, but it looks like temps are what's holding you back there. If I remeber i'll post a screen shot of my temps/volt's while prime95 is running. In the bios I have voltage set at 1.4v core and 1.4v on the qpi/vtt. the rest of the voltages are at stock. My temps just hit 75c after an hour of prime95 but my system is liquid cooled...