2009: Post Your Ride Thread

d3bruts1d

Hey an update on the stang got everything together, cranked her up, what is that sound? Are the lifters/valve lash adjusters not seating properly? Is it.... O $H!T!!! TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF!!!! The fellow who sold my the comp cams, while doing good and telling me the valve springs needed to be replaced, failed to mention that to run these cams the pistons have to be notched. So, that sound was the piston smakcing the valve, and that worse sound was three valves being bent and the worst sound was three rockers flying off and chewing on my cam lobes. Not happy camper but me and my buddy have gotten this motor figured out now and we had the motor pulled in about 4-5 hours including taking off the headers which is not nearly as hard as it used to be. We stripped the motor down to the block and sure enough the valves were tapping the pistons and it was just a matter of time before the other 13 valves bent. Motor is at the machine shop now getting a valve job, notched pistons, ported and polish jobs on the heads, intake manifold, and throttle body, and the cam lobes that got chewed are being machined smooth. Lot more work than I was anticipating but I can't wait to get the motor back and hook it up again! And lol on the 73 pinto with a 5.0!!! I still say if you can work on these late model mustangs you can do almost anything. If you ever need to replace your headers, let me know I can give you some hints that will save you a whole lot of trouble.

1. jack up car and put on jackstands.

2. unbolt motor from both motor mounts.

3. put jack under oilpan of motor and lift off of motor mounts

4. REMOVE MOTOR MOUNTS.

5. You can now get to every bolt on both sides and can move the motor up/down which aids in getting to the top/bottom bolts. If you have the motor disco'd from the tranny this is even easier as you can move the motor side to side as well as up and down to make the job almost too easy.

Removing the motor mounts is key, and it is very simple to do, three bolts on each side, but it will make the whole job much much easier, the difference in about 2 hours of labor vs, three days. I also did the three day thing the first time. Also while the header is off, get a tap and tap out all the header bolt holes in the thread, use stainless steel bolts, and use anti seize on each bolt, this will save you tons of headaches later on.

.02 has been given.

Oh no man, that's terrible. Those must have been more aggressive cams then? I think anything but stage 1 cams require notched pistons. You might as well put a forged stroker assembly in it then :D

And about the header install... I already DID that. It sucked butt. I installed the headers on it back in the fall of last year. I ended up doing exactly that though. However next time, if I ever have to take those stupid things off for any reason, I'll replace them with LTs and just drop the k member.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse my absolute noobishness, but what brand car is that? :blink:

An Eagle Talon is an American made mitsubishi eclipse.

Eagle Talon = Mitsubishi Eclipse = Plymouth Laser... same car, same parts, different brands.

DSM made the eagle brand (Diamond Star Motors... Diamond as in the mitsubishi logo and star as in the chrysler logo)

If you look at the front quarter panel right behind the front wheel is a Chrysler logo.

But if you pop the hood: there a Mitsubishi 4G63 Turbo.

DSC00944.jpg

AHH, now it makes sense! I saw the pic and thought "Mitsu.... no bugger, wrong logo!", but I guess I was partially right at least :D I'm most definitely digging the AWD bit, gives it a bit of a rally car feel coming from Mitsubishi ;) How many horse is that thing pushing roughly?

They were some pretty interesting cars, my sister used to drive a white one and we put that thing through some shenanigans on the county dirt roads by our house. Not quite like a WRX or EVO, but still a lot of fun for less $$

yup I had a '91 plymouth laser (aka eclipse, talon) with a turbo. Thing was fast, I beat 5.0 mustangs on the street. About 60,000 miles the timing belt broke and took the entire engine with it. Was a good excuse to get a higher performing engine and better turbo! I remember getting it up to around 130mph and feeling like the thing was gonna lift off the ground, being so light.

I drive a '99 mustang gt, limited edition now. I'll get some pics up later. Only 42,000 miles. Black coupe.