Holy Crap Video Card!

Psywar

Ok,

I havent been a n00b in computers in a very long time, but yesterday I got my first shipment of new PC parts..

Motherboard, CPU, Ram, Video Card..

Mind you, I have not put a video card, nor seen a video card since the one I installed in my PC 7 or 8 Years ago.

So Yesterday I get my video card and I open the box, and I pick up what seems to be 2 to 3lbs of videocard madness lol..

(ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 4870)

Holy crap! this thing takes up 2 Slot areas! has 2 spots where it need additional power from the PSU.. looks to be a 92MM fan built in on it w/ heatpipes.

So do I need to go over to Home Depot and pick up a steel beam, and tack weld this card to my case to support it?

The thing is just massive lol..

I havent really read the instructions yet, but do I really need to do anything to support this card? or just the 2 screws and the actual PCI-E slot will hold it?

Thanks guys!

-Psy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is just massive lol..

Thats what she said!

sorry couldn't resist :) But ya todays cards are a lot bigger than before. But it will be fine with just the 2 screws. If you ever move it across town or anything though, I would probably uninstall it just to be safe.

Edited by Raiderfan001

Come on... the ghetto modder doesn't know what to do?? Duct tape man... come on, I'm disappointed in you.

It'll be fine man, just use the screws and stick it in the slot.

Ghetto Modder, lol.. so you telling me to grab a bunch of pennys weld them together and make them support the card?

Alright, Thanks for the replys guys!

I will get some pictures in a few weeks once I get everything - I should have it built by the end of this month!

You think that's big? You should see my penis.

Shameless spam.

Lol, jp, I have an HD4850 and I thought that thing was massive, IDK if the HD4870 is any bigger, but with the cooling it certainly looks like it.

if you're worried about it just lean your case on its side then it's not going to like snap and just break in half

or you could just screw it in and solder it so it'd be somewhat physically attached to the case

Edited by wolzen