Best Anti-virus Software?

Assassin X

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AVG for sure. Norton and Mcafee both have "viruses" that "recommend" their products.

Geez, I can't believe AVG didn't make your list!

BTW AVG is cheaper than most other anti-virus progs, it's free!

I've been using AVG for around 5 years or so and have never had problems with it. I've tried many others but it seems that when something fishy happens with one of my systems it's always AVG that cleans it up. Norton and Mcafee both miss viruses. Who would want to pay >50 for a product that "may" catch some viruses?

As for adware and malware the only program I've ever used that has found and cleaned EVERYTHING is Malwarebytes anti-malware. I use both spybot and adaware but malwarebytes was the only one that was able to remove the "xp-antivirus" virus I had a few times, (work computers.) It's free as well.

Just for reference I am NOT smart about the internet. My theory is "wear an anti-virus program and hope that you don't get an ITD" (Internet transmitted virus) so my virus and malware proggies need to be good.

Keep your antispyware for scans, just disable realtime protection and make sure they aren't starting at boot.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I would rather have real-time AS protection over AV if I could only choose one. It is way worse than viruses. I can reload my OS for a client if they get a virus, but I can't fix their identity if it gets stolen by spyware!

I would recommend Kaspersky Internet Security as it has more options than the standalone AntiVirus app. It requires a bit more memory than Norton, but it can scrutinize the entire CPU if you wanted it too. Ad-Aware or spybot is a nice compliment as a double check for malware and such.

Edited by Harima

I wholeheartedly disagree. I would rather have real-time AS protection over AV if I could only choose one. It is way worse than viruses. I can reload my OS for a client if they get a virus, but I can't fix their identity if it gets stolen by spyware!

I think you misunderstood my answer.

Edited by Phil