United States Presidential Election 2008

Great_Gig

US Election  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for?

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain

Are you serious? Community service in middle and high school is about the most normal thing ever! It really is sad how everyone who is not happy with Obama tries to burn him. Calling community service slavery, this thread gets more quoteworthy material by the hour!

That's what has been happening in this whole thread people who don't like him find one of Obama's controversial ideas and then they blow it out of proportions.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

in the United States forced community service is used as a sentence for crimes.

it is against our constitution to require this.

forced servitude is slavery whether you consider it so or not.

my total lack of respect for him has nothing to do with anything.

nobody has blown anything out of proportion.

that link is to his website...

In a different light, had McCain won and stated this, I'm sure we'd be seeing this:

"It's about time all the welfare leachers and ungrateful kids who have their college paid for by the government start giving back to the community." In a much more drawn out form, of course.

I've learned to just laugh at what most people say when it comes to politics. That's all it's ever good for.

what makes you think we would see a direct violation of our constitution as OK no matter who suggests it?

that is just stupid.

what is being suggested is actually illegal no matter who thought of it.

if you suggested the same thing for welfare leeches the dems would be the 1st to scream about it.

in the United States forced community service is used as a sentence for crimes.

it is against our constitution to require this.

forced servitude is slavery whether you consider it so or not.

my total lack of respect for him has nothing to do with anything.

nobody has blown anything out of proportion.

that link is to his website...

Community service is meant to be a good thing. If it was meant to be a punishment then why is it recommend/required in some schools and colleges as a graduation requirement?

Also how can you say nothing is being blown out of proportion I mean the McCain supporters have suggest pretty much all the extreme from this country turning into a communist nation to Obama's a terrorist or up to some scam or plot because he can't pass a back ground check or that hes going to start taking away guns.

You and the others that have a similar types of arguments know what your doing your taking facts and words and bending them into something extreme that you want to believe is true and then saying nothings wrong because this or that was said in this article.

what makes you think we would see a direct violation of our constitution as OK no matter who suggests it?

that is just stupid.

what is being suggested is actually illegal no matter who thought of it.

if you suggested the same thing for welfare leeches the dems would be the 1st to scream about it.

You guys, seriously... what you're forgetting is that no Republican president has ever done/suggested anything against the constitution and/or illegal. Once you realize that, you see why this is such a big deal and why it MUST be dramatized so much. This is only one step away from torture, which, by the way, we know the Republicans disagree with strongly. I think it's only rational to assume that Obama is pricing out contracts for a ball and chain for every American citizen.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good lord. If you don't like it, fine. But for god's sake, don't go all drama queen on it. If this is the worst thing he's got up his sleeve, I'll sleep much more easily.

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime where of the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Maybe someone can explain how this plan doesn't violate the above? Aside from what I said earlier about minors?

Oh and give the "well someone else violated the Constitution" argument a rest already. It's wrong no matter who does it.

I don't look at it as Slavery because you do have choice.

If you really hate doing community service that much then just don't do it. You probably won't graduate but I doubt you get thrown in jail, beaten, torchered or killed like a slave would because you didn't do community service in school.

Like I said bending words.

You could use the constitution to prove that warrantless wiretapping unconstitutionall too.

Maybe someone can explain how this plan doesn't violate the above? Aside from what I said earlier about minors?

Oh and give the "well someone else violated the Constitution" argument a rest already. It's wrong no matter who does it.

Ok your not going to see me do much of this 'cause I'm not a big fan of the left but I am a big fan of truthfulness, accuracy and at least some fundamental understanding of words ....I just went over and re-read the Obama/Biden national plan---start to finish. The words "required" and "community service" appear together only regarding a $4000.00 tax credit ( there's THAT phrase again)) in exchange for 100 hours of community service for college kids ( that's $40.00 an hour). With regard to other types of community service the word "enable" is used.

So unless I've missed something........???

Edited by Jack Stand

I just did some quick googling because, on a hunch, I thought Rehit's sources might not be entirely truthful...

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/service/

Obama and Biden will set a goal that all middle and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year, and will establish a new tax credit that is worth $4,000 a year in exchange for 100 hours of public service a year.

http://media.www.dailypennsylvanian.com/me...e-3470957.shtml

Obama strongly emphasized his plan to create a tax credit that will subsidize the college tuition of Americans who conduct 100 hours of community service.

It's a plan to help kids pay for college. Good lord, that's horrible! Nowhere have I read that they will be "forced" into doing this. Only that they will be required to do a certain number of hours if they want the subsidy.

If something of this nature was done to McCain, it would immediately be labeled "drive-by-media". When it's done to Obama, I have a feeling it will be no big deal...

The words "required" and "community service" appear together only regarding a $4000.00 tax credit ( there's THAT phrase again)) in exchange for 100 hours of community service for college kids ( that's $40.00 an hour). With regard to other types of community service the word "enable" is used.

Erm, I'd be up for that to pay off some of my $25000 student debt :rolleyes: