How To Install Vista On A System Build

My_Inner_Fred

I dont understand what ur supose to do, how do u install a cd drive if u dont have a operating system to install it on...

how am i going to install vista if i dont have a cd drive to install it on....

If u have made a system build plz explain to me how its done.

Thank You

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Step one: Be clearer when your asking a question.

Step two: Use Capital letters and periods.

Step three: Buy a DVD-Rom Drive.

Step four: Connect the power and IDE/SATA cable to your motherboard and power supply.

Step five: Insert Vista Install disc and Vista should install preset drivers for you.

Step one: Be clearer when your asking a question.

Step two: Use Capital letters and periods.

Step three: Buy a DVD-Rom Drive.

Step four: Connect the power and IDE/SATA cable to your motherboard and power supply.

Step five: Insert Vista Install disc and Vista should install preset drivers for you.

My bad about my spelling and my ability to explain my question.

And thank u for showing me how its done =P

Step 5 is a little odd. (Over simplified for effect ;))

Once the computer is built and everything is plugged in, stick in the vista disc and set the boot options in the BIOS so it boots from the DVD, then just follow the on screen instuctions, telling it which hard drive you want to install it on, any partitions you want to create etc. Then just let it work through, it'll start up into vista, you answer a few questions and then get the desktop, install the chipset and graphics drivers and your done :)

I dont understand what ur supose to do, how do u install a cd drive if u dont have a operating system to install it on...
set the boot options in the BIOS so it boots from the DVD,

If there is no operating system installed there will be nothing to boot to so no need to set the DVD as the first boot option in the BIOS.

If there is no operating system installed there will be nothing to boot to so no need to set the DVD as the first boot option in the BIOS.

Yes there is, if it's set to boot from the hard drive the motherboard will look to the hard drive. If there's no OS installed you'll get the ntldr missing error.

It doesn't work like having the optical as first and hard drive as second, where if the optical is empty, it'll boot from the hard drive. If you have it switched, and the hard drive is first/optical second, and the hard drive is empty (no OS) then it doesn't go and try the optical drive, you get the error and you get to reboot.

To get into bios , just hold down the delete button as the computer is starting. Once you have windows installed the first thing to install is the motherboard drivers the came with the M/B that will install everthing you need. Then you can go on line and update al the drivers your drivers. ;)

Yes there is, if it's set to boot from the hard drive the motherboard will look to the hard drive. If there's no OS installed you'll get the ntldr missing error.

I have yet to see at default BIOS settings anything other then the optical drive listed as the first boot device. But what do I know.

Actually if you don't have any OS installed you won't get an ntldr error, as ntldr is a component of windows. The message you get will vary depending on the motherboard you have.

But nVidia Freak is right, if you don't set the BIOS to look at the disc drive first, it won't advance past the HD when set to boot to the HD first.