First 8800GT 512 review?

Repr

In that case, I might as well step up :)

Whenever i have called evga tek support, they all advised me to wait until about 5-7 days before step up period ends to see what surprises nvidea might have in store. I'm hearing all kinds of rumours, but am not going to post any cuz at this point in time that's all they are, is rumours.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did finally find someone that had more than one 8800 GT in stock. Tiger-direct had one, but it was absurdly overpriced at $329.

I ordered a EVGA overclocked for 309...about 10-20 more than it should have been, but I wanted the oompaloompa NOW.

Just bought a 8800gt through Best Buy with that 10% coupon racket going on. Came to $270 with tax. Still more than early releases but I was this close to buying a 8800gts for $400 like 4 weeks ago.:)

In case you folks care, here's what it did to my system in 3dmark05 (ceteris paribus):

7900gto 10926

8800gt 17192

I'm thinking about getting a 3870 instead because my computer is a HTPC and I've always thought ATI images look better. Its just my opinion of course. Also I have faith in Angry's diagnostic about the "complex" driver situation because of Microsoft. Also this 8800gt is similar to the 6800gt in that its a great heat engine.:eek2: But she flies now......

then you definitely want to look into the 8800GT 512MB which can get hot but it's probably more card than an 8800GTS 640MB now.

As for which images look better...ATI ruled the roost for a while but from differing opinions around the web, the general opinion is that Nvidia and ATI are on an even field, neither offers a better image really...unless you want to split hairs that is.

Price vs Performance. The 8800GT 512MB is a kick butt product, a little better than the 3870, but also about $50 more. These days a lot more people are willing to get 10% less performance for $20-$50 less price, and I think ATI might be onto something here, especially with the new 3870x2 or whatever the dual gpu card is that maybe might actually have decent drivers lol.

the 8800GT 512MB which can get hot

It depends on your fan setting. Stock out of the box, the fan is set to 29%. Using Riva Tuner, I adjusted to ~58% for gaming and the fan is pretty quiet still. Temps at this rate are 43-45C idle, 55-58C full gaming load, ambient temp=19-20C. I have played ARMA, Crysis Demo, GRAW2, COH, COD4 demo and the temps held for all. ARMA actually ran the hottest.

Anything above 60% fan speed and the fan is very audible. There wasn't much temp improvement above the 58% setting. Maybe a degree or 2, but nothing worth tolerating the fan noise.

My case is a CM Stacker with a 2-120 mm fans in the front, one in the back and one in the side door cutout blowing down onto the motherboard, vid card area. All fans are rated at ~27 dB.

I noticed these new 8800GT cards are PCI-Express 2.0 and I have a PCI-Express x16 DFI mobo. will these new cards still work on the pci-expressx16 boards?

yea, they are backwards compatible.

I noticed these new 8800GT cards are PCI-Express 2.0 and I have a PCI-Express x16 DFI mobo. will these new cards still work on the pci-expressx16 boards?

Yes PCI-X 2.0 is backwards compatable with the older normal drab PCI Express x16.

Everyone is buzzing that the best way to get every ounce out of the PCI Express 2.0 performance wise is to have the new X38 Intel boards.

Oh yeah about eVGA and about how stupid they are to overclock there memory to 2000mhz out of the factory thread...

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=11720

http://evga.com/forums/printable.asp?m=148955

If you're lazy to read the CLIFFS are that the SSC edition cards OCed to 2000mhz memory are getting artifacing problems since the stock cooler can not handle that much speed. Also you're in for bigger problems since apparently you shouldn't even clock the mem that high on the 8800GT.

I don't see how an 8800gt can't handle 2000mhz mem when a GTX can. With it being newer it should if anything clock higher as long as it's kept cool enough.

That last part was what some OC said so umm...

I'm sure the G92 8800GT can as long as you have adequate cooling.