First 8800GT 512 review?

Repr

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got off the horn with evga, and i could only get the stock card, which MY card has beaten that gt in about 1/4-1/3 of game demo's. And it's the only gt i can "step-up too. But the guy said i can't even do that as that gt is cheaper, and they don't send you money and a card. and I wouldn't waste my time spitting on that thing.

I hate nividea for pulling this deliberate rip-off. Way to keep a customer base.

I'm going to send them a nastygram.

My best option to step up is to get the gtx, like i originally planned on. And overclock the living . out of it, and it's still covered by the warranty. Kiss me nvidia..i like to be kissed when i'm getting f'd.

Yep, that is a pretty awesome deal for that 8800GT......read a few reviews and...:eek:......for the $$$$......HUGE deal.

However, the 9xxx's are right around the corner. The 8800GT is lending some credence to the rumors that the 9xxx cards will be X times faster than a GTX. I want to see what those cards can do.......must resist......hold onto the GX2 a bit longer.........get that water cooling set-up first...........(as my hands shake with new technology fever)

Yep, that is a pretty awesome deal for that 8800GT......read a few reviews and...:eek:......for the $$$$......HUGE deal.

However, the 9xxx's are right around the corner. The 8800GT is lending some credence to the rumors that the 9xxx cards will be X times faster than a GTX. I want to see what those cards can do.......must resist......hold onto the GX2 a bit longer.........get that water cooling set-up first...........(as my hands shake with new technology fever)

How do you come to this conclusion that the 9xxx's are right around the corner? How long? What's your source of information? Can you confirm this? If not, it's just another rumour. Nvidea just shot themselves in the foot by releasing this gt. Now people won't buy the more expensive gts's, gtx's, and ultra's.

And for people like me that spent more on a gts than the gt costs, we lose money if we step up to this gt crap. I mean evga cards. Like i said, my card actually beats this stock offering by evga (only one we can step up to) in about 1/4--1/3 of game demos. And i think it looks stupid. It doesn't even blow the hot air out of the case. It's going right in your case. And i hear they run hot. Just look at anandtek's site.

nividia did not shoot themselves.. users with GTX will keep thier cards because they are marginally faster and with the GT priced in the mid $250 and beating the 2900 series, GTS series. The 8800GT is cheaper to produce and is a step forward .

The GT is already sold out at most online vendors even w/ markups.

Nvidia usually releases a killer midrange card before the next series is released, remember the 6800GS, 7900GS, 7950GT, 7900GTO. All those cards offered near top tier performance at a lower price, but later in the series. The 8800 series is almost a year old, its about time a faster and lowered price card be released.

If you are unhappy with your card.. sell it on ebay and buy a GT.

Does AMD/ATI give you an option to step-up or a lifetime warranty? Nope.

8800GT here I come!

How do you come to this conclusion that the 9xxx's are right around the corner? How long? What's your source of information? Can you confirm this? If not, it's just another rumour. Nvidea just shot themselves in the foot by releasing this gt. Now people won't buy the more expensive gts's, gtx's, and ultra's.

And for people like me that spent more on a gts than the gt costs, we lose money if we step up to this gt crap. I mean evga cards. Like i said, my card actually beats this stock offering by evga (only one we can step up to) in about 1/4--1/3 of game demos. And i think it looks stupid. It doesn't even blow the hot air out of the case. It's going right in your case. And i hear they run hot. Just look at anandtek's site.

hopefully, you're right wangerin, I have been reading about a couple new cards, and they're still calling them gts's....1 has 512mem, the other has 1gbmem. Their's a big article about all this and a long discussion in their forum.

a few people mentioned something about 9500 or 9800 series card coming out soon because ati is up to something. But I'm forced to stick with evga, since my step up period ends about 12/21, and if i did anything else, I'd have to sell my card and take a loss. SO i hope this new 9800 card will come out before xmas. It is rumoured to be pretty cheap too, to compete with whatever ati is coming up with.

And yeah, they did shoot themselves in the foot. Who's going to buy all those old gts's gtx's and the ultra's if this g92 is so much better? They should've just stuck with releasing a killer 9800 card in time for crysis and ati's card. Yeah, those g92 cards sold fast, but they are cheaper=hence nvidea loses money.

Besides, why would i want that card?? My card beat that stock gt in 1/4-1/3 of game demos as i stated in previous post. It's a piece of crap that will warm up you pc case very nicely. They run hot. Definatly not worth stepping up to even if they allowed me to.

I'm going to wait until the very end and get in cue for the 9800, if they make it available. if not, it's the gtx for me, but I'm definatly getting either.

If a person already has a GTS or GTX the best thing to do is sit tight. If looking to upgrade from a lower performance card or building a new system the GT is the only card worth considering. From a price/performance viewpoint a person would have to look quite a bit back in time to find a card it's equal.

I agree with ya Praz. People like myself and momoceio that just bought our "older" gts cards feel kinda betrayed by nividea coming out with a "better" card, cheaper than what we paid for. But like i said, I have read that the g92 runs hot because of that dumb looking single slot cooler that's going to warm up your case nicely.

I called evga, and i don't even have the option to step up to "that", even if i wanted to.

So yes, sitting tight is excellent advice, as nvidea has to come out with a killer card cheap to compete with ati's "mystery" card coming out in time for xmas. Then I'm gonna pounce on it...lol. But from the threads Ive seen on the new 512 and 1gbmem cards nividea will release, Not sure if even those will be the new 9800 series, but i sure hope the memory bus will be bigger than 256 bit.

Heck, even the gtx has a 386 bit bus for it's 768 memory. Are we going to be looking at a 512 bit bus for 1gbmem? The possibilites and probabilities=compatible?

Edit; To respectfully disagree with you, I'd rather have the gtx than the gt. Yeah it's hotter but it beats the gt even in sli with just a single card in some game benchies I've seen. I think this gt is a real loser. Just my opninion.

I agree with ya Praz. People like myself and . I think this gt is a real loser. Just my opninion.

I know your pissed at its price per performance, but its hardly a loser.

Price is $250-275 +/-

Single 6 pin power adaptor.

On par if not better than 640 GTS.

From Anantech:

Getting Cocky: 8800 GT vs. the GTX

We've already established that NVIDIA's new 8800 GT is better than the 8800 GTS, and we've just proved that the 8800 GT is a much better value than the 8600 GTS, but how does it fare against the current king of the hill - the GeForce 8800 GTX?

We would be out of our minds to expect the 8800 GT to even remotely compete with the GTX, but the real question is - how much more performance do you get from the extra money you spent on the GTX over the GT?

Because the 8800 GT does top the 8800 GTS, there is an even smaller gap between the 8800 GT and the GTX than between the existing $400 and $500 parts. With a smaller difference in performance than the GTS and about a $250 to $300 premium for the 8800 GTX beyond the part that falls one step down in performance, we really don't see much motivation to purchase the 8800 GTX.

But, as long as you are happy with your card thats all that matters. :)

Exactly my point when I wrote price to performance. A person would have to have money to throw away to get the GTX over the GT. I'm sure a lot of the same reasoning would apply to why someone would choose the GT over the GTX as to why you have a GTS and not a GTX Jaz.

Jaz I don't know why there is so much anger inside you lol. There will always be a better newer product around the corner....thats how everything works in every kind of technology ever created.

And you are still putting too much worth into benchmarks. If I remember correctly you don't run a uber high resolution and your current card should be playing just about every game out right now perfectly....with the exception of Crysis lol. My roommate has a 320mg GTS and he played games just fine even at 1600x1200.

Well I guess my point is to just learn to be happy with what you have. Especially when it should be doing wonders for your gaming performance.