First 8800GT 512 review?

Repr

on my daily run accros the hardware news i found this article about the MSI 8800GT 512MB OC. with the laungh being tomorrow, i guess this is the first review ive read for the new g92 chipset. looks very promising. makes me wonder what ATI/AMD come up with though considering NVidia released these cards sooner becouse of the rumour the ATI's are gonna be faster

for the review:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1210/msi_...card/index.html

btw, guess im not the only one reading....the page is slow as hell

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the general consensus is that more stream processors, the better. The new core should reduce the power consumption (it's about time they start reducing it, at least a little). Also, the foreseen price should make people happy (provided they do not own a 8800gts - I feel your pain, I really do). I'm not really feeling the single slot design, tho. Sure sounds like it could be a noisy little guy. *prays to the aftermarket cooler gods*

I'd probably pick one up if I wasn't saving up for a car (and had my desktop here - that's a big reason). My good ol' 6800 could use retirement, but it does what it does and I currently have no need for DX10 nor the bugs associated with it. ;)

However, I'm still interested in seeing what happens when it hits stores and we get more reviews. :sweat:

Just my random $0.02

I'm interested in what it has to say about the g92 vcard. My step-up period ends in

12/21, and I'm hoping it will be available by then, and won't cost an arm and a cupy two tree legs. :D

I'm interested in what it has to say about the g92 vcard. My step-up period ends in

12/21, and I'm hoping it will be available by then, and won't cost an arm and a cupy two tree legs. :D

youll know by tomorrow. there have been screens of pretty much all brand-g92's. if the rumours are true there will be 8800GT's from eVGa and all others in just 24 hours *fingers crossed*

Well, i got all the way through that review and am both relieved and dissapointed. In some benchies and game demo's my card actually beats the gt. That's the good news, sort of...the bad news is that there is no mention of any g92 card.

What does evga expect me to do, downgrade?? Unbelievable. Why did they make this card now? They must be either pretty freakin' bored, or this is a part of a marketing plot to rape us monitarily for that "g92" card that there are so many rumours about, but no proof they are even making them.

I'm starting to feel sick...

The only thing I'm interested in is the temp on this card! With the die being only 65nm it shouldn't need a monster cooler like the GTX and thats why the single slot design! The GTX tops this card in all benchies I have seen but is hot like a little nuclear plant! I want the temps to come down on the G92 chips!

I want the temps to come down on the G92 chips!

Y'know, I feel the same way. I have to say I'm a little nutty and I like everything to run as cool as possible. Maybe it's the engineer in me. :sweat:

I guess we'll find out soon.

If there is any truth to the rumours I've heard about the g92, it will be cooler, yet twice as powerful as an 8800ultra! Do i hear $800? do i hear $1k? I put tape over the little "g" cutouts near the end of the gts and configured riva tuner to spin up fan faster as temps climb. Works great. And it blows all the hot air right out of the case instead of some heat seeping up through the "e" cutouts.

My pc is like a space heater. And yes, cool is good. My pc likes cool.

Screw the 8800GTS dudes lol. I had to sit an watch as people bought a 7900GT for half the price of a 7800GTX some 6 months later.

I can't wait till I get mine! Downgraded to a 6800 because I was offered a decent price for my 7800GTX and wasn't doing very much gaming at the time.

That was then, this is now - It's almost November, a FPS fans favourite month lol. Valves Orange Box, UT3, COD4, Crysis all spring to mind.

That's.....the new wonderful, all powerful new card from nvidea??? This is the new g92? My card beats it in some benchies I've seen! What a bunch of crap. Now i see what nvidia is doing, holding us at bay with the gt, gts and ultra's, milking the cash cow before they come out with the card i heard about that has 1gb of memory 3x's as many shaders and twice as fast, with a 65 nano tek, less power consumption, and a really, really fast card.

And it would cost about $6-700. And they give us this crap. Now i see they probably won't come out with that card until next spring, so I'm forced to step-up to a gtx. I just hope they come down in price now that this "card" has come out. What a let down.

On the other hand i wonder if ati-amd has spent almost 1/2 a mil on r+d.