How many pieces of hardware have you fried?

106 members have voted

1. 1.

• none
    • one
    • two
    • three
    • four
    • five
    • six
    • seven
    • eight or more

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest r3d c0m3t

I remember frying the PSU that came with the A-Top Gladiator (my first case) it was a cheap piece of crap and it wasn't very reliable...it had about 450W or so said the label...in any case I was running my 9250, a Sempron 2800, and two hard drives and the PSU just couldn't handle it.

It shut off and a little smoke started to flee from the front vents...I jumped up flipped the power switch to off...unplugged that bad boy and recycled the hell out of it.

I fried an old Pentium II as well...don't ask me how because I don't know. :sweat:

Hm...what else?

I spilled fruit juice over two keyboards...actually I knocked the cup onto the keyboard and that was the end of that.

I think that's all...what's that bring me up to...7. Seven fried pieces of hardware...we've all got to learn somehow. :rolleyes:

Guest thespin

Only 3 major pieces:

1: DFI NF4 ULTRA-D Mobo - attempting the SLI mod

2. AMD X2 4600+ - had it naked and working ... no improvement in temps ... added unknown thermal paste around the core standoff ... tsk tsk tsk ...

3. Did the HD Window mod on a Hitachi 160MB Deskstar - worked great for about six months ... shortened the life more than likely ...

That's over $1G in stupidity, gentlemen ... I WIN!!! :)

EDIT: I just saw the X2 4600+ for $120 at Tiger, a processor I prepurchased for over $800 two years ago. I think THAT counts as "virtual frying" of a piece of hardware - overpaying to be leading edge! But I was a real noob at the time.

ahhh well fix'em till they break

xt5900 256mb those stupid plastic piny things broke off

tried to mod a psu......that didn't work lots of smofe and the words

.........Oh ....Oh .......Oh .........oh ........oh . .....owwchhhhhHH

quite a few keyboards and a few flying mice(fps games frustrate me)

still trying to break a few more things

Put a 486 DX 33 chip in arse-about once, & let the smoke out.... i think it was my 2nd ever PC..

Got a pile of dead PSU's about the size of a beer keg, but they fried themselves (they are a great source of wire & connectors ;) )

I fried 3 C4 autos in the same week, but that felt OK, 'cause i could feel them die a horrible, slipping, smelly, death under full throttle 2-3 shift's... ya just don't get the same level of satisfaction from a PC component going *pop*, even if you are the poor b#stard changing it each time...

Two acts of stupidity here.

1)Fried my Mobile XP2600 socket A. The plan was to try and get it in the GGG club(the only socket A)under phase. Anyway it put up stiff resistance, so i resorted to 2+ volts through it :eek2:. It did'nt resist anymore, just fizzled and died :sad:

LMAO This is exactly the sort of thing I would have tryed.

Just plain stupid things I did

I fried a NF2 motherboard due to putting the wrong voltage video card in it. (I didn't know you could go wrong)

Blew a stick of ddr400 RAM after fitting it the wrong way round switching it on & wondering what the hot smell was. (Don't know what was wrong with me that day they don't fit the other way round)

Killed 1 stick of D9 pushing too much voltage through it. (Well at least now I know what D9 can do & its bloody unreal)

At least 6 socket A mobos admittedly they had already died once due to capacitor or transistor failure but I got them going again by cannibalising parts from other blown boards. (waste of time really)

Epson printer stopped working after I cleaned the head in hot water (I now buy cheap printers & run them on cheap cr*p ink & when they give trouble kick them in the bin & get another one.

Socket A CPU blew as a result of pure bone idle laziness. I was going out with the lads one Friday night & heard a funny noise coming from the Office. I poked my head round the door & heard the CPU fan was to blame & thought to my self it should be ok even if it fails the machine will automatically shut down when it gets too hot. When I got back to it the next day it was off & after fitting another CPU & heatsink I found the temp shutdown was disabled. (learnt not to be so lazy)

600W PSU went bang when a molex connector shorted out on the case. (Now I use rubber caps on all spare connectors)

Killed my old Dell file server when I fitted a new PSU. (The Dell PSU wiring was different than standard the bas**rds I have not purchase from Dell since)

Sold a Socket 478 CPU on ebay & when I was packing it up dropped it on the floor then stumbled & stood on it. (Just a plain bad day)

Not really my fault but funny now looking back on it

I was fitting a new server at work & the parts guy knocked a full fresh cup of coffee he was bringing me all over it whilst it was on with the case open. I have no idea why it didn't die big style as the coffee went everywhere but it ran for 2 years until I swapped it out for another new one. The coffee did kill the keyboard as all the buttons got stuck as the coffee dried out. I still run this server as my personal file server & it is still 100%. (Learnt to resist drinking coffee whilst working on equipment & the parts guy later got sacked for drinking on the job so he was probably drunk when he threw the coffee on the server)

I have had tons of stuff die in spectacular ways like a PSU blowing all its capacitors one by one like a string of Chinese firecrackers & CRT bursting into flames but none of these were as a result of me playing with them.

Regards

Craig.

• 1 month later...

I don't know what's my mistake and what was just bad parts in the first place, but I fried a MSI mobo once, a PSU committed suicide and took the mobo with it. Dunno if that was my fault, though. Ahh, and I was going to sell a 250gb harddrive, but when I was on my way to the post office to find out the postage, my dog pulled in one direction so it fell to the ground. Now it makes alot of ticking noises and stuff:angel:

I've also broken one of the IDE pins (the one above the empty "slot" in the middle) on 2 DVD-RW's. One still works (half of the pin is still left), the other one doesn't. I also bent 7 pins on an Opty 180, but after 2 hours working with 2 cards and a needle it was allright again.

I killed two things

1) I was fixing my moms computer a p3. I reinstalled windows on the computer and had it running nice. I thought I would take a look in the bois and seen the I could chang the FSB so I raised the FSB 10mhz save and exited the bios. As the computer was rebooting I heard a bang "like an m-80" and it just shut off. A cap in the power supply popped. I swaped out the power supply and it started right up. The computer is still running today and has a 10mhz overclock! :)

2) I had a 3500+ clawhammer with the stock heatsink. I had it overclocked to 2.4ghz. It was running hot so I went to put an aftermarket heatsink on to it. When I took the stock heatsink off the chip came out with the heatsink. Half the pins stayed in the mobo! :eek: After I pooped my self I got a smile, I was getting a shinny new 4400+ dual core! :)

None ( not having owned much). Have come across a couple of truly awful supplies (one Eagle from Misco, the other unbranded from Maplin, need I say more) and some weird mem that refused to work in a relative's system. Dead HDDs from the Bay (sold as untested so not guaranteed in any way).

That kind of thing. Pretty stupid. :rolleyes:

I think it's 2 that were my fault.

1. Cooked a T-Bird ... couldn't get my old Abit board to boot ... was trying everything ... had the HSF off and tried for a boot ... what can a few seconds do ??? it can create a very pungent odor.

2. Tried changing a partition on a drive using Partition Magic ... drive had a boot manager to recognize larger size ... eons ago ... totally trashed it.

Not my fault:

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro ... scrambled screen ... drivers were impossible to deal with anyway so I was happy to get rid of it.

Couple Hitachi Death Stars ... Clicks of Death ...

Abit mobo puffed it's caps from old age ... I loved that board ... RIP ... (see T-Bird cook out)

Few PSU and chipset fans went screaming into the night ...

At least 2 CRTs shrunk to the point of no return

Couple ROM Drives quit recognizing anything

Couple NIC's

But all in all ... looking back ... this stuff is quite reliable and takes considerable punishment. Most parts just became too slow, too small, too ugly, or too outdated but just refused to die.