Guide to VMware and SMP install for F@H

red930

this is the 3rd time I have started it LOL, but it looks like 20 min

Good or Bad?

Does VMware Tools make it faster?

Tweaks?

fah3mt1.th.jpg

That's good. I get about 20.5 minutes per frame on my Opty 165 at 2.7Ghz. I haven't messed with VMware Tools so I don't know if it makes it faster. It seems like Core 2 Duo's really like the SMP WU's and go through them quite a bit faster than AMD's. I set mine as a higher priority once using likewhoa's code in a earlier post in this thread but didn't see really any gain at all in TPF. There is a gain (although nothing enormous) in speed by running in native Linux as opposed to VMware but I need Windows.

You will see your PPD go up a lot now. I noticed on EOC it was about 400-500. Now you should top out over 1000 PPD. Remember, these SMP units have VERY short deadlines. Basically if you don't leave your computer on 24/7 you run the risk of missing the deadlines and getting NO points. Check out a list of the proteins as well as deadlines and points here.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. ATM I don't even have Linux installed. I've been too busy with this C2D lol. Once I get my final stable overclock I'll probably try to get back into trying to learn linux again but for now it's OCing time on the C2D and game time on the 939:tooth:

Well I've finished the 2604/2605 for the 4th time LOL.

fah5bs6.th.jpg

My problem is it seems to stop after completion and just sit there.

I have set it up for auto DL of new WUs.

Do I need to do something special.

Every time I reboot after completion I lose everything and then I have to start the whole process over and the completed WUs are no longer in the folder.

Just sitting here waiting for something to happen. :D

fah6ex7.th.jpg

WTF? How do I get this thing uploaded to F@H?

Shouldn't it tdo it automatically?

Well I've finished the 2604/2605 for the 4th time LOL.

fah5bs6.th.jpg

My problem is it seems to stop after completion and just sit there.

I have set it up for auto DL of new WUs.

Do I need to do something special.

Every time I reboot after completion I lose everything and then I have to start the whole process over and the completed WUs are no longer in the folder.

Just sitting here waiting for something to happen. :D

fah6ex7.th.jpg

WTF? How do I get this thing uploaded to F@H?

Shouldn't it tdo it automatically?

After that last screen shot it should attempt to send the results. Sometimes it takes a few minutes. After that last screen shot of your's it takes me about 5 minutes to get a new work unit.

Don't no why but although my WLAN works in FAH when downloading the WU,

once it has started folding and completes the WLAN CANNOT connect to the internet.

In fact I can't connect in VMmare at all once FAH had started.

Using a Belkin F5D 7050 (v.1.0) USM Wireless.

(Only took me 4 completed WUs to figure it out LOL)

No access to a wired LAN but I'll try with my new notebook next week.

Hopefully it's wireless will perform differently.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Okay, I'm unhappy. I registered and gave them all my info to get spammed to death for the next ten years and then effing seriel #'s didn't work... so unhappy.

It's not that big of a deal I'm just not willing to put up with things like this at the moment. Bad week that I keep waiting to get turned around and it's not happening.

EDIT: This is for VMware I'm trying to run on my AMD machine.

For Ubuntu? I never had to register or give a serial number for anything. I just DLed a live cd, installed and that was pretty much it. Other than running some commands to get it setup and stuff.