Sign in to follow this  
red930

Guide to VMware and SMP install for [email protected]

Yeah I was planning on getting the 2x1GB of Buffalo Firestix that are Micron D9's an divide the kit up between two machines

I'm just gunna run Ubutu on them anyway so it's not like I'll be using a lot of RAM idling (and I don't want to buy 2-4 more Windows XP licenses :P)

I'd appreciate if you could find the guide, as well!

Here is a link to various guides. It looks like you can set them up using Ubuntu instead of having to by any Windows licenses.

Edit: Another guide.

Thanks a lot! I won't be setting these machines up for another couple weeks but I'll definitely be using these guides!

How many PPD would you estimate a 2.8GHz Pentium D 820 will make using the SMP Windows client... about 1,000?

I'm going to be installing it on my two PD borgs this week.

Thanks a lot! I won't be setting these machines up for another couple weeks but I'll definitely be using these guides!

How many PPD would you estimate a 2.8GHz Pentium D 820 will make using the SMP Windows client... about 1,000?

I'm going to be installing it on my two PD borgs this week.

Honestly, I am not sure. I have seen a AMD x2 at 2.65Ghz doing around 1000 PPD depending on the WU. I don't think the client has been out long enough. You can test it out for us and let us know. :D

I was looking at $360 SMP folding rigs....

Man I wish I had money. I'd blow ~$1000 on three rigs for folding.

It is possible, although I'm not sure how likely, that they might drop the points for the Linux SMP WU's. I don't think they will drop the points though because they are still keeping the tight deadlines.

Work unit one in!

Congratulations!! I am waiting to see your PPD climb. :)

@David,

If you are trying to build a dedicated SMP [email protected] server with one of those guides I have some suggestions. You will most likely be running Linux so you don't need to worry about VT support. If you want to go cheap and have multiple diskless and headless rigs you could get some e4300's and and MicroATX socket 775 motherboards (with a video out so you can check on it if you need to without having to buy a separate video card) and put a stick of 512MB of RAM (this should be enough) it in and a okay/cheap PSU and it would be under $300. Instead of buying a Gigabyte DS3 and an e6300 for 300 you can get everything for the same price.

ok gonna install foldingathome to see what kind of benchmark difference it gives compare to running it inside a guest OS.