So I bought a domain name... what now?

ReelFiles

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Built my own webserver, I have it running through my friends I-net connection. I think I have some free space if you want a host although no matter what host you use go with scp instead of ftp...much more secure and reliable...

PM if you want me to look into the space I have available...(and yes it is a linux box...fully updated FC6, RKHunter, and daily log checks for hackers...)

PS Our "Great" (Read LAME) forum is in my sig

Surprisingly, 1&1's templates were pretty decent, but I still feel kind of confined by the whole process, I guess I am just a bit oldskool in that way. So I think I might actually pick up some html books and play around with Photoshop and maybe Dreamweaver too even though I know diddly about the latter.

Thanks for the offer shattered, I am gonna research my options thoroughly and post back with what I decide to go with. I am taking my time because I won't have much time to set up anything good until after the holidays anyways.

You don't need a business account to host a server. You can run a server off of your home account, IF:

a) Your upstream bandwidth is adequate for what you are trying to do.

B) Your ISP doesn't cap(OOL is a joke here - they cap upstream like crazy so they can continue to put on paper the high speeds they offer)

c) Your ISP has port 80 open.

d) You don't mind people having to put the port number in the URL. Say, http://thasp.net:4000 - I have to put a port number because I can't use 80, because my ISP blocks it.

e) You know how to setup a webserver from a linux machine(I can be of help with this).

I do all of my hosting from home... free image hosting sucks, and so does paying for it. I have nearly 10 mbps up and a spare machine, it works well. :)

Another benefit of homemade hosting is that you don't have to deal with that awful cpanel crap.

I run a website out of my apartment.

Right now we do our domain hosting threw godaddy.com.

Our local ISP blocks port 80. So what we did was have our server listen on port 2020 and then have godaddy forward our domain requests to mydomain.com:2020 and mask it so people dont know they were forwarded.

Cool thanks for the offer, I'll let you know what I decide.

You guys are the bomb, free offers for hosting, good advice, friendly chat. No wonder I dumped all my "real" friends for "virtual" ones rofl.gif

hehe why we dont do the same :D

I got a Christmas gift from AceGoober, the only one besides my family who is thoughtful enough. Pretty sad that my online friends are better people than my real-life acquaintances, but I would rather have one true online friend rather than a bunch of fake friends in real life.