So I bought a domain name... what now?

ReelFiles

Like the title says, I need some help figuring out what best suits my needs.

I have pretty much no experience with web design, except for some cutting and pasting html code, hehe.

I need to know how I should host the site. Host it myself, on a free server or a paid server? Right now I am using Optimum online. Do I have to get a business account to host my own site? I already have the hardware to to do it. I am not looking for anything crazy, I just want to host some videos, audio and psd files. What should I use to create the page? I do want it to look better than some lame Angelfire page, if you know what I mean.

Right now I am playing with the free Google page thing, since I got the domain through the "Google apps for your domain" page. Is it supposed to be any good? I find it kind of lame and awkward to figure out.

Any other tips?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been doing something like you are, except as project for eventual release to the public. For relyability and security I have been told to use linux, and from what I have found Centos is the best free linux os.

I would host it yourself to save cost and make it easy to work with the site.

Well I would suggest taking a look at Hostmonster for your hosting needs. I have been with them for a bit now and they offer the best hosting service I have ever had.

Oh yeah they offer free domain name renewal as well for as long as you are with them.

Their tech support is accessible 24~7 and their is only one idiot there. The rest are flawless.

As far as site stuff are you setting up a forum or just a web page?

Tmod

Check to make sure with your service, but most ISPs will forever ban you from their services unless they specifically allow hosting in their TOS. I use 1and1, they have lots of packages, it's like $9.99/mo (no contract!) for more space, transfer amount, and email boxes than I could ever imagine using, has greater than 99% uptime, and is super easy and noob friendly. Plus, the bill is quarterly instead of every month. Any questions, just ask. Their site is pretty informative on their packages.

Reelfiles,

If you decide to go with Hostmonster please let me know as I have a referral program with them.

Tmod

Well I would suggest taking a look at Hostmonster ...

As far as site stuff are you setting up a forum or just a web page?

Tmod

I'll check that out, thanks.

I think I just want a site, DFI-Street, WizD and nindeals are the only three forums I frequent, I don't need my own, as of now anyways.

It's cheaper in dollars to host it yourself.

It's cheaper in every other way to use a host like DreamHost or some other service.

Contact your host for instructions to get the domain live.

Good info, thanks.

Check to make sure with your service, but most ISPs will forever ban you from their services unless they specifically allow hosting in their TOS. I use 1and1, they have lots of packages, it's like $9.99/mo (no contract!) for more space, transfer amount, and email boxes than I could ever imagine using, has greater than 99% uptime, and is super easy and noob friendly. Plus, the bill is quarterly instead of every month. Any questions, just ask. Their site is pretty informative on their packages.

Cool, I can afford $10 bucks a month, I am not big on contracts bit I will if the services offered are good enough, thanks.

What about the actual page design? I am sure some of you guys are pretty good with that stuff. I haven't played with html since the AOL days.

1and1's got Website Builders, and most of the hosts have things like PHP, Perl, MySQL, etc. If (and it sounds like you won't) you don't use them, making the actual web pages are relatively simple. I think there are a few WYSIWYG website programs, if you have access to Dreamweaver or the like that's all you need. No need to know or use HTML at all, it's all visual- what you put is what they see. Simple. Easy. Nice. ;)

I like the idea of templates,but most of their designs are pretty lame. I have access to a lot of software at extremely steep discounts so I am not too worried about that. I also have some Dreamweaver books from school kicking around here somewhere. Always willing to learn. I'll check out their templates to see what they have to offer anyways, thanks again.

Oops, I meant "a few free WYSIWYG" programs but was trying to remember the WYSIWYG and forgot free. Yeah, Dreamweaver is pretty much a single-stop solution, but I recommend having Photoshop since there are plenty of graphical "doodads" Dreamweaver can't handle. Also, lately, I came across FileZilla, which has been awesome for transferring files and screen shots to my server without having to load and fuss with DW. There are other tools, but these should get you well on the way.