FX-60 + 8800GTX - For those that want to see it!

I dunno, after having my E6600, the 165 just doesn't cut it anymore. It took about 5 keystrokes and I was at 3.0.

Right now. I'm just sad I'm FSB bound at 410FSB on this board. I know I've got a bunch of CPU left in this sucker.

Sounds like a nVidia rReference 680i MB. I am up to 429 FSB but I had to do an SPP volt mod

to get up to 1.60 metered to do it along with better cooling on the NB. I also had to find and

get past the FSB range "holes" where the MB wouldn't work too. These 680i reference MB's

are kinda twitcy to say the least lol.

The Connies are so much faster than an AMD's it's not even a contest but the downside comes

with a steep price too. If you are upgrading from a DDR1 platform under that Opteron, you have

the cost of the Connie, a new MB and new DDR2 memory which adds up fast.

Just upgrading a 939P DDR1 AMD rig from an SC CPU to a DC CPU does gives a lot of bang for

some pretty small bucks compared to a full upgrade to a Connie rig. It's not as fast as a Connie

but your wallet is a lot heavier in the end lol.

Viper

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seriously considering getting a Conroe as a toying around rig and making an Opty rig my main one, once I get a processor that can actually do 3GHz as this one ain't gonna cut it I have a feeling. Seriously after this Opty 165 0609 that can do 2.86GHz @ 1.38Vs (mine barely does 2.8Ghz at 1.45Vs, and takes 1.58Vs to get to 2.9GHz), which I think will be hella easier to get to 3, voltage wise. Plus my Mushkin sticks may FINALLY get here tomorrow and I'll have them to do it with.

I hate Intel too but sometimes ya just got to go with the flow of the rushin' river lol. This Connie is my first Intel CPU in years. My last one was a 100Mhz 486 way back in the 1990's.

Viper

LOL that's ancient :-) My last Intel was a Celeron 600 in 199x (cant rememeber exact year, probably 98.

Sounds like a nVidia rReference 680i MB. I am up to 429 FSB but I had to do an SPP volt mod

to get up to 1.60 metered to do it along with better cooling on the NB. I also had to find and

get past the FSB range "holes" where the MB wouldn't work too. These 680i reference MB's

are kinda twitcy to say the least lol.

The Connies are so much faster than an AMD's it's not even a contest but the downside comes

with a steep price too. If you are upgrading from a DDR1 platform under that Opteron, you have

the cost of the Connie, a new MB and new DDR2 memory which adds up fast.

Just upgrading a 939P DDR1 AMD rig from an SC CPU to a DC CPU does gives a lot of bang for

some pretty small bucks compared to a full upgrade to a Connie rig. It's not as fast as a Connie

but your wallet is a lot heavier in the end lol.

Viper

Thats what would deter me right now too. Having to change not only the CPU but mobo, ram etc. Im happy with what I've got as it is a huge jump from what I had before and is the fastest machine I've ever had. I dont see why I'd need faster anyway (though I DO get it, faster is always better) when I can play Oblivion maxed at 1600x1200 with 16xFSAA.

I'll be waiting a while before I upgrade anything now.

I hit almost 10,600 at 3ghz and my 8800GTX slightly overclocked.

My games run happy at the moment even though Prime is being a little whore. :D Yeah, I have almost $500 invested in my watercooling setup, but this is how I see it:

1) My watercooling setup will easily migrate to another CPU & video card

2) Temps across my case have gone drastically down.

3) My hardrives register 10c less with less heat in the case.

I can leave F&H running all night, turn the fans on the rad to 50%, my CPU temp will hit mid 40s and it will be nice and quiet.

Yeah, the $ I spent on my watercooling setup I could have gotten a low-end Conroe, but I still won't be watercooled and the inside of my case will feel like the surface of the sun.

It's painfull to add it up but.. LOL:

8800GTX:$135

TDX: $53

Black Ice Xtreme 2x120mm Rad:$100

2 x D5 pumps: $150

Water additive: $30

2 x 92cfm 120mm fans: $20

Lined Worm-Drive Hose Clamps: $20

Hose: $10

Fillport: $12

$530. Oops.

It's painfull to add it up but.. LOL: