FX-60 + 8800GTX - For those that want to see it!

So where to for those of us on single core A64? Opteron or cheap X2 and then a GTS or wait until conroes become old hat and upgrade?

If you can find a cheap x2 or opteron I'd say grab that for now as a holdover.

I've been very tempted to build a conroe setup, but what I have now will definitely hold me for a bit. I figure if I can fight the urge til k8l comes out, then I can see how they stack up and which is worth my money. I'd hate to buy a conroe rig now and then see it beat by k8l in 8 months.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd hate to buy a conroe rig now and then see it beat by k8l in 8 months.

The only concern you probably have for the next couple of years is buying Conroe now and seeing Intel come out with something that stomps it.

So where to for those of us on single core A64? Opteron or cheap X2 and then a GTS or wait until conroes become old hat and upgrade?

If you are running a single core Venice then upgrading to a DC with larger caches makes sense

and will definately give you a nice speed boost on the cheap. First thing you will notice is how

much smoother and snappier your system responds and runs with a DC CPU.

I have an Opteron 170 CCBWE 0530TPMW here that I ran 2700Mhz (300x9) @ 1.425 Vcore with

crap air cooling you can have cheap. It was used in one of my card test only rigs (replacing an

Opti 150) until I got my FX60 lid less.

If you are interested shoot me an email.

Viper

I dunno, from the looks of things, AMD won't be competing with Conroe/kentsfield in the really fast desktop CPU for some time. The FX-74 got spanked by the kentsfield in all but the the server-like benches. However, the AMD scalability with rule the roost in the sense that it looks to be easy to add a 5-6th, 7-8th and more cores with the new platform. In the server market AMD looks great!

Totally agree. I love AMD and hate Intel but AMD got caught with their pants down (just like AMD

caught Intel napping when it popped the A64) and won't be directly competitive again for 2 or 3

years at least.

Viper

Totally agree. I love AMD and hate Intel but AMD got caught with their pants down (just like AMD

caught Intel napping when it popped the A64) and won't be directly competitive again for 2 or 3

years at least.

Viper

Yeah but intel dont have something extremely overclockable and cheap like the opty 165 do they? Thats a lot of bang for your buck , which is more important for me. In terms of outright performance though, I wouldnt know but obviously Intel have the edge but Im sure trusty old AMD will not let their faithfulls down and have a few tricks up their sleeve left in them yet :sweat:

Yeah but intel dont have something extremely overclockable and cheap like the opty 165 do they? Thats a lot of bang for your buck , which is more important for me. In terms of outright performance though, I wouldnt know but obviously Intel have the edge but Im sure trusty old AMD will not let their faithfulls down and have a few tricks up their sleeve left in them yet :sweat:

Connies OC like cats with their asses on fire lol.

Even a 1.86Ghz 6300 Connie can hit 3Ghz+ on air with dull regularity in a MB that will FSB well. A 40-50% on good air cooling OC is common as house flys for 4meg cache Connies. For 2meg cache 6300 and 6400's 50-60% OC on good air is common with a few hitting 90% OC on good air. The hard part can be a getting motherboard to FSB high enough with the lower multipliers.

AMD is of course working on new CPU's but they have nothing that will hit the streets and directly compete for the next couple of years. The developement cycles from design start to in quantity, sellable product is about 2 years and I doubt Intel will be resting on their laurels during that time.

Intel got burned bad by the A64's when they got caught napping with the P4's. It is unlikely that Intel will be caught with their pants down again anytime in the next few years. I would love to see AMD get the edge again and they might do it but it will take a good of developement cycle time.

Viper

Shows how much I know. I hate intel though so I am biased :sweat:

I hate Intel too but sometimes ya just got to go with the flow of the rushin' river lol. This Connie is my first Intel CPU in years. My last one was a 100Mhz 486 way back in the 1990's.

Viper

I dunno, after having my E6600, the 165 just doesn't cut it anymore. It took about 5 keystrokes and I was at 3.0.

Right now. I'm just sad I'm FSB bound at 410FSB on this board. I know I've got a bunch of CPU left in this sucker.