AM2+ for AMD quad cores?!?

thejamesvolta

I read on amdzone.com that the quadcore being released in Q307 will be using a new AM2+ socket. The new chips will be backwards compatible with AM2 socket motherboards, but will be limited by bandwidth. This pisses me off. This is why I went AM2 over 939. Now I have more crap I will have to buy.

ive been telling everybody not to buy AM2..... oh well...

but yes, AM2+ will have Hypertransport 3.0 running at 4000Mhz..... AM2 only have HT 1.0 running 2000Mhz.....

u can always plug the Quad-core Agena coming later and 2nd half 2007 into AM2, but the HT will only run 2000mhz.....

whether the HT bandwidth really bottlenect the quadcore performance... only time will tell....

but im currently running at FSB287x3=1722Mhz HT, and i dont see any performance difference than x4=2296Mhz HT in games..... 3dmark06 got about 50point boost but thats it......

but yes, thats why i dont buy AM2 (or Conroe) coz im waiting for socket AM3, which has native HT3.0 and lotsa other goodies........

yep...

just like everyone that went A64 in the beginning that got those NF3-150gb boards....those were a joke....and just when the 250's came out they released the 939 cpu's.... you're never going to win...

939's were around pretty long in the tech world... even those that jumped on the AM2's wont realise the true performance without buying a new board later on....

And with the rising price of copper (4x's the cost of last year) I am sure boards are only going to keep getting more expensive....;)

as soon as you get it home and set up, there is something that is a little faster or better out there....always has been and always will be...but i musat say that i am happy with my 939 as well...it does everyting that i need it to do and it does it well...i prob will not go am2 and will hold out and upgrade to dx10 and mega more ram b4 i go the the proc upgrade

four by four is waht they are called also code named am3 the first releases of the so called quad core will be server boards and they will jsut be 2 dual core cpu's sold as a bundle and they will be put in a board that has 2 cpu sockets.

this is waht I read a few days back will psot link in a few mins if it is still in my pc's history.