X2 or Opty??

Guest synergy_merged

It depends really how much you will want to work.

Either X2 or Opty will, with the right stepping be able to reach higher than average clocks.

I am not sure what effect the statement" DFI boards do not support Opteron cpus" has. The 3 Ghz club has mostly Opterons in the list.

You really can't lose here because any dual core(X2 or opteron) will run circles around your 3200 which is a nice little chip.

IMHO, if you go the opteron route get a 165, they will generally clock higher than a 175 and are cheaper.

If you pick an X2 try the 3800+ or 4400+.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I'm on my 3rd opty 165 all differant steppings. But there is one thing in commen, all of the are very stable at 2.6ghz some a little higher. But 2.6 seems like the sweet spot. I have a 185 opty but only get to 3.0ghz. Had a 148 that would only do 2.6, and a 146 that rocks at 2.9. So to answer your qusrtion I would recommend a 165 Opty. Newegg has good steppings right now as of last week. Cow

Yeah I wish I'd gotten a high end Opty too. My X2 4600+ runs stable at 2.7ghz. It'll do 2.8 as well, but if it gets hot in here the temps start causing instabilities. Can't do 3GHz to save my life - on air anyway. It looks like the opterons are a bit more sturdy.