X2 or Opty??

Guest synergy_merged

Guest synergy

cool...It sounds like the Opty is a popular contender. You think the 165 will perform (OC) better than the 175 then?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest synergy
You think the 165 will perform (OC) better than the 175 then?

Any suggestions for which one I should get. I know the only difference is the multiplier, but is that worth the $80 difference. Anyone know if the steppings are good for both these on Newegg at present?

The Opty 165 (depending on the stepping) is a living legend :) The best bang for the overclocking buck. The 170/175 will overclock nicely as well...but the 165 is just sick. Some peeps get 3GHz on air and 3+ on water or phase. I ran my 165 at 2.906 Prime-stable (CCBBE 0617).

I'll be hard pressed to use anything but Opteron from here on out. My newest Opty is as fast as the FX-57 and probably more stable...and it definitely runs cooler at 32C. With some tweaked RAM timings, I know it will run 3GHz on air...it's just screaming for more speed.

I may grind an Opteron into dust and snort it...it's whack like a crack attack :eek:

Guest Darkslayer

Lets put it this way...

From my experience...

With my CPUs...

---X2 4400--- Maximum "safe, stable overclock"---2.5ghz @ 1.5v (10x250) - this CPU got it's butt sent packing :D

---Opty 165--- Maximum "safe, stable overclock"--- Haven't found it yet :D (the proc is getting too hot with my s***ty cooler, sooooo... as soon as my new Zalman gets in, I'll be shooting for 3ghz again :D)

As far as I can tell, the Opty was stable @ 3ghz @ 1.5v, but the temps were hitting 58c+, which was making me nervous, so I quit the dualprime :sad:

But alas, I shall have my revenge :D

In other words, get the Opty. DON'T even think about it... just do it :)

165 here got a crapy one that loves 2.45 on stock voltage, but I have no complaints and got to 2.7 on air(never got above 46* or pushed it to the max, also could be my psu craping out w/ 4xHD's and what not), then backed it down, going strong for a year now HIGHLY RECOMENDED FTW!!!