Free Software Thread

yonton228

I never have Seagate drives go bad...I've only lost Maxtor and WD drives. We've got about 1500 machines at work and they all run Seagate drives. I might have 1 or 2 a year that need replaced. The 5 year warranty is great too and you don't have to go through a bunch of hoops to get your drive replaced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest InFeKtioN
I think seagate/maxtor is crap, those are the only drives that have ever gone bad one me, and I've had a lot of drives over the years. Maxtor used to be decent, but now that Seagate bought them they are going down the drain.

Now See ...... I have a 3 Maxtors that has been outstanding ! ! !

Also 3 different WD's that have taken a crap on me, 1 of them just 2 days ago.

Only owned 1 Seagate .... its been on he shelf for a bit, 20G.

OMG,

InFektioN, has risen from the grave!

Where the hell have you been hiding out? Great post in since forever, since Seagate sucks and I wouldn't ever put anything but WD or Hitachi in my own rigs! :)

Well, I just had another Hitachi 80GB drive fail diagnostics. That makes two out of about 80 that I've sold and six that I own.

I've lost drives from every manufacturer over the years. The lowest failure rate has been IBM(now Hitachi) 15,000RPM SCSI array drives.

The highest failure rate has been Maxtor 120GB IDE drives from several years ago. I actually received a replacement drive that wouldn't pass diagnostics. Bah!

The 250GB Maxtor IDE drives aren't any better, we have ca 40% failure rate on the drives we get. Then again SUN has much higher standards and drives we consider bad might do fine in a normal household for years.

Like ExRoadie I've lost drives from all manufacturers over the years.

And the Maxtor drive problems from two years ago are probably one of the things that put them under.

I too received replacement drives that failed their diagnostic program immediately.

Current Maxtor products are just rebadged Seagates so they are solid.

My personal preference is WD and Hitachi but it's really pretty hard to go wrong with any of them these days.

The highest failure rate has been Maxtor 120GB IDE drives from several years ago. I actually received a replacement drive that wouldn't pass diagnostics. Bah!

Hope my SATA 120s don't follow suit... I haven't actually seen them since October... been a little busy with Basic and Tech School :-) but I get my household goods at the end of April... and it'll be time for some modding action :-)

Guest InFeKtioN
OMG,

InFektioN, has risen from the grave!

Where the hell have you been hiding out? Great post in since forever, since Seagate sucks and I wouldn't ever put anything but WD or Hitachi in my own rigs! :)

HA !

Mostly working ....... Busy, busy, busy !

I agree tho ..... in my house we have 8 Hitachi's (some sort of raid) and I love them ..... Not any trouble ... Thats all I would put in my machine if the price is right.

But maybe the price is right ..... if the others keep dying !

How did this tread turn into a HHD discussion ?

Hello !

• 3 weeks later...

I've got to say VLC has nothing on this... KMPlayer simply the slickest player out IMO. This player reads Video TS files along with tscc.exe that vlc couldn't play with out codec download. Tons of options!

Only con is, it's windows platform only currently. This is a MUST TRY! get it here http://www.download.com/The-KMPlayer/3000-...4-10659939.html

I read MaximumPC too. lol

I must say that the AusLogics defragment program is blindingly fast. Their Registry compression application seems to work just as good.

Free disk defragmenter thats faster than XP but mostly FREE...

www.auslogics.com

Keep Passwords safe for FREE...

http://keepass.info/index.html

FREE DVD ripper AutoGK (auto gordian knot)

www.autogk.me.uk