New Bios Mod DFI Expert

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet! Thanks Merlin. You are Merlin, Wizard of Bios. Rofl.. My system kept on having random restarts during gaming since i updated the bios from the DFI website. After installing's Merlin's it stopped it. Plus the Bios menu looks good ^_^. Still testing it out but i like it so far. =)

What's with the lack of documentation with each BIOS release? Should I just go with the 10/07/06 release? Or is there much difference with the 04/11/06 release? I mean apart from the release dates what has he changed and how are people noticing the differences?

Also could someone clarify for me, is this post in this thread correct. Does the 10.07 release have the latest Sil and NVMM BIOS's?

Well, thought I ought to share my o/c experiences, as I have leeched some very useful info off this site, and have now got my system stable with settings currently in my sig

The 07/06 bios is what I'm working on at the moment but as you will see, I had to drop to 2T timing to run those higher HTTs in sync..

Another great discovery was with max HTTs though, again in the 2nd & 3rd pics you will see how I got to 410 x 5 PI32m stable! I OK'd one of the PI windows so I could reposition it, but you can see where the temps drop off as it finishes earlier than the other core :) I have flirted with 400*7 for 2.8GHz (of which this opty is capable), but couldn't quite get stable enough, and don't want to push over 1.55v on air alone.

Any hints on aiding me to get 1T stable and perhaps 2.5-3-3-6 would be nice. 3v for my Corsair seems a bit more than I'm comforatble with, but I do have active cooling on it.

(sorry, I didn't pay attention to the size limits...)

Here's updated urls:

275x10-2.5-4-3-6-2T

400HTT PI32M Stable

410HTT PI32M Stable

How about for 1T you stick the opty on a divider like most do......Really there is no need to push the fsb on the NF4 platform, MHZ is what counts.....fair enough to see how far you can push it but really there is no point in running ram "at its very edge" especially when DDR mem's are on the "extinct" list, i would use a divider say 150 and HTT at around 280 stick the HT multi at x3 (no benefit in overclocking it above 1000) cpu multi on stock x10,,,,,,,,,,,running it like that you get your 2800mhz and you can probably run your ram at less voltage as well.......

Just as a side note have you ran CoreTemp or Everest or A64info to see what your core temps are when running 1.55v at 2800Mhz, my opty will be at around 52C running both cores with dual prime and 1.45v, i dont think i would go higher than 1.45v, not after looking at the temps in those proggys,,,,,not trying to scare ya just think you should check the core temps and see for yourself....

Anyway back on yer topic, tight timings dont really matter as i said, HG has tested this and there is no diff, what he proves is loose works as well as tight, loose get ya further if you get the most MHz out of your cpu then this is king, so get the most out of your opty as you can with stable settings no matter if you have to run 2T or not, boost the cpu Mhz, use the dividers, most do on Optys........

Logan

I see where you're coming from, and I do plan to do all that. I was just ruling out any HTT limits that might be causing stability problems and finding it's limits, same for the chipset being o/c'd.

Even though I've had this board for a few months, I've spent ages getting it tweaked to a point where there's no BSODs. I'm just having issues getting it 2x superpi 32M stable most of the time, even though it's 12hrs memtest stable (even at 275:2.5-3-3-6-1T), along with 12hrs Orthos stable. It does seem as though I'll definitely have to drop the divider anyway, but also a bit of a shame imo :)

I didn't thank Merlin for the great Bios, and for the other users who have passed so many hints here & there on getting this board tamed. After coming from a budget setup, this is certainly more challenging, and am always grateful for tips. So thankyou!

I'll have a Conroe setup before long, so I'm really just giving this rig a good thrashing until then!

Okay for those using G.skill memorys and wondering if the 10/07/06 bios works okay, well i can say its working fine on my expert with my 2x1gb pc4000 HZ's i also got an extra 20mhz out of the default stock voltages over the 0406 stock bios,,,,,,seems to be a bit looser, i also tightened the timings up more than the stock bios as well.....gonna stick with this till the next Merlin release, it seems to do a little better....

Logan

Merlin 04-11-2006 bios is friendly to UCCC chipset. :)

Mine is Corsair Value 2GB kit UCCC chipset.

I never got stable RAM at (even) 213 with many diferent bioses and settings. But with this 041106 bios, i got stable at 250 3-4-4-8.

Thx merlin,

SG

:);) thanks for the nice feedback!

Merlin ;)

Merlin 04-11-2006 bios is friendly to UCCC chipset. :)

Mine is Corsair Value 2GB kit UCCC chipset.

I never got stable RAM at (even) 213 with many diferent bioses and settings. But with this 041106 bios, i got stable at 250 3-4-4-8.

Thx merlin,

SG

Where is this 04-11-2006 bios for download?????????

Logan