Worldcup 2006 (merged)

Sorrento

Probably it's time for me to add my view on last night games:

- For Sweden it was one of those rare games when the defence looked totally messed up; when did I last time see three - yes three - players like zombies run after the boll just to leave a field in the size of Texas empty in front of the goalkeeper. Usually that's not the problem, but in recent years the defence line has lacked stability; not this bad though. As it turned out now they never really got the chance to repair, or they got, but then another very rare thing happened, Larsson missed a penalty kick! That my friends is very rare.

- Referee? I don't know what to say. Before the game the Swedish coach urge FIFA to choose a experienced referee because of the demanding circumstances, but I doubt Carlos Simon was the right answer. Besides that I hope Podolski gets some reprimands from the German football association, because his behaviour and lack of sportsmanship doesn't reflect well on the rest of the team.

However I could sum it up like Glenn Hysen did: "the referee was bad, but so was the Swedish team".

A more positive thought: I was really impressed by how well Mexico stood up against Argentina. The FIFA ranking of Mexico at the fourth place is a joke, but they showed a lot of skill and most importantly courage last night. But, but, how they blew free kicks in the end of the game shows a lack of tactical understanding. If you get free kicks and you have just like five minutes left, you don't just play on like nothing happened and eventually loose the ball still a long way from the goal, you ought instead to get the whole team up close to the goal and try to force in a long free kick. That's still a mystery to me, why they didn't take their opportunities in the end of the game.

Avatar: hm, as it is now it proves that I have to support England. That's the most Swedish left in the tournament.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If & when england go out i'd like to see them go out in the same blaze of glory that mexico did last night after bringing one of the strongest teams in the competition to their knees. It was without doubt the match of the tournament.

3 there is nothing else except floor polish
-Mmmmmmm knew i missed something last night.:D

well

today we meet the netherlands

tough match for sure....holland is always a strong oponent

to bad mexico didnt make it........they played very well.....but that goal from maxi rodriguez.....omg....that knocked the mexican team mental strength away.....

i wish the best luck to all the teams still int the cup

well after a great game comes a kok(krock of krap:) ) from england. A bit harsh perhaps but we're lucky it's still 0-0 at half time.

Don't know if any of you ever saw blackadder where baldrick had his cunning plans, svens strategy seems to be as effective.

A terrible performance by England...

... and of course a victory!

Strange as it may sound, this makes me wonder how far this team can go. If they win by playing crappy football and have Lampard and Gerrard not being even close to show their true potential, they might all of a sudden produce some incredible football...

... or am I mad?

... or am I mad?
Lol:) Yes your mad:)

Funniest part was half time when they goto the experts in the studio :-

Gary Linniker(Anchor Man)

Alan Hansen

Alan Shearer

Ian Wright

Linneker starts by wondering what's going to happen reminding panel that england have for the last 2 world/european cups had much worse 2nd halves, performing better in the 1st. Hansen who's scottish smiled the other 2 English went pale & very quiet.:)

Only thing that gives me some hope is that there must be a time when we play at least half decent, so i guess i'm mad as well.

thought england's match was a farce until i saw the refereeing decisions with Netherlands v Portuga. You deserved the win steelballzz, shame you lose deco & costinha on stupid refereeing decisions.

will it be like

the quarter-finals at UEFA EURO 2004 (england lost on penalties)

or

the semi-finals in 1966 and England emerged victorious en route to their only ever FIFA World Cup title.

Personnally on today's performance i think you'll wup us:)

required that the fans remove the offending lederhosen before they could attend the match. According to one source, the pants were actually confiscated. Many of the fans allegedly ended up watching and cheering in their underwear
Hehe not a pretty sight, that's agreat article & a good find ReelFiles :D