The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

I don't think so, Coolbits only worked with the original menu, not the new control panel, as far as I know...

Thanks, by the way.

EDIT: I installed, and quickly uninstalled the new drivers. They caused lag, and when I booted starcraft, it couldn't even render it properly.

Lame. :-/

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soundx98 can you tell me how to install vista with no blank DVD involved using Virtual Clone Drive.

I downloaded build 5600 and then realised I have no blank DVDs that actually work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ah nevermind, I guess you must have mounted it in a previous build which was installed from DVD.

Burning to one side of a 9.4Gb DVD-RAM as we speak, see if that works. If not i'm gonna have to go get some disks :/

I just started it from VCD in XP32 (I had 5536 on my desktop with the VCD icon) and then pointed it to the partition I wanted.

4 on drive - 50G XP32, 50G x64 Edition, 50G Vista x32 (pointed to 3rd partition) and 50G Storage.

Ah well I couldn't figure out how to install from the Virtual Clone Drive, but installing from DVD-RAM worked. So here I am in vista RC1 build 5600.

First problem, it is set to automatically activate in 3 days. I tried to manually activate now, but it is telling me my key is already in use :( I know for a fact this is the key I was given with my Beta 2 download so I'm not sure whats going on there.

I suppose I will have to wait for the public preview to be released proper, and hope that I get a key which will activate.

anybody get raid working yet on rc1? i followed the instructions on nvidia site and it still was showing up with about 4 drives instead of 1. i'm currently running on a single raptor just fine.

i have the latest official bios and am using build 5600 with the rc1 drivers from nvidia beta section.

I had to clean install XP and then upgrade, to get RC1 to to work on my RAID-0 array. I was having problems doing a clean install using the DVD, so I mounted the ISO with Virtual Clone Drive and upgraded which worked fine for me. I kept getting error 0x0, thanks to soundx98 for the advice. I am using all the default drivers that came on the DVD and just installed the SIL3114 drivers. For antivirus I use the free PC Cillin beta trial.

I made mention of it loading SATA RAID 0 in Post #189

SATA RAID worked for me by starting install from windows x64 Edition partition and then loading the x64 F6 drivers when asked.

I would think the F6 drivers will depend on which version (x86 or x64) of Vista you are trying to install. D-oh!

It worked the same for me in 5536 Vista x32.

Just started the install from the correct OS (depending on which Vista you are using), loaded the SATA RAID drivers when asked, and then set up on a different partition.

I use the 6.67 F6's for x64.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//%5B...RAID_FLOPPY.rar

ANd the 6.70 F6's for XP32.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//%5B...RAID_floppy.rar

EDIT: Put some links up

I made mention of it loading SATA RAID 0 in Post #189

It worked the same for me in 5536 Vista x32.

Just started the install from the correct OS (depending on which Vista you are using), loaded the SATA RAID drivers when asked, and then set up on a different partition.

I use the 6.67 F6's for x64.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//%5B...RAID_FLOPPY.rar

ANd the 6.70 F6's for XP32.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//%5B...RAID_floppy.rar

EDIT: Put some links up

so you're not using vista drivers then. i only tried it with the vista ones. why would nvidia release drivers for vista when the xp ones work? couldn't they just say, "for vista, use the xp driver"?

separate, unrelated issue but with xp i always had to use the drivers from the "legacy" folder as the normal ones would always cause bsod's.

basically i should be trying the non-legacy sata raid driver from the xp driver package. this is retarded.

sound issue that Reelfiles decribed earlier in the thread is still present, I am just using the nforce platform drivers that came with this build for now. Perhaps installing them from the latest RC1 pack from nvidias site will help that, or the ones from realteks site.

To fix the crackling for nowi just skipped to the next track and everything returned to normal.

Installed the 96.33 graphics drivers from nvidia.com about to go and test Battlefield 2 1.4, Source/mods and Quake 3 for openGL.

Only workaround I know

I've never been able to get any of the Vista ones to work.

But they are on the nVidia site with instructions if you want.

Getting the wireless working can be fun as well :)

thank god i don't need wireless then for my desktop. it works fine on my laptop though.