The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the Marvell NIC issue is known. Though, they will not release a fix AFAIK.

Dunno what the deal is with the Nvidia one, it keeps pulling down nadda, and defaults to the private address 169.xxx.

The Marvell one DOES pull down the correct IP via DHCP, but you just can't connect to any web sites but the windows update it seems. It did get 1 update for defender I think it was. But any other site, and it won't work.

From the longhornblog link that SoundX posted..

Anyone who has installed Vista 5536 on a machine with a Marvell Yukon NIC knows that it has issues, you cannot browse websites or really do anything functional on the network. One easy way to fix it is to of course install the XP NIC Drivers. The other way however, lets you keep the Vista driver and just fix the root of the problem. Here's how to do it:
  1. Go to Start -- Run and type "devmgmt.msc" without quotes.
  2. Expand Network Adapters
  3. Right Click the Marvell device and go to properties.
  4. Click on the advanced tab.
  5. Select IPv4 Checksum Offload and set the Value to Disabled.
  6. Hit ok and enjoy!

NOTE: This may also work for people who have Realtek network devices and are experiencing hard system lock-ups when doing anything on the network. No promises there but I can confirm this works 100% for Marvell.

I have a second Newcastle/VIA/1Gb box I needed to use this fix on, the Marvel LAN now works, but I get %100 CPU usage spikes while browsing a local workgroup

Heads up if you work for:

Federal Government

Civilian Intelligence Homeland Security Others

State and Local Government

City County Municipality Township/Village State Special District

Education, K-12

Higher Education, 2 year

Higher Education, 4 year

http://www.microsoftgovernment.com/vista

I work for the Chicago Public Schools and seems I can get a copy of the Vista RC1

They work, but I didn't bench before so I can't say if they're any faster... they do have a new control panel I'm about to mess with.

Did you need to do anything other than just run the installer? I don't know, like maybe uninstall the default drivers?