The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Anyone using that fast shut down/bootup feature for Vista? Any disadvantages to using this feature? In Windows XP, bringing the computer back from hibernation would lower my overclock back to stock, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this feature in Vista.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the new nVidia control panel

Untitled-2.jpg

Alright, pardon my ignorance but where did that come from?

I’m using 88.61 x86, and I haven’t seen that screen. Can you overclock?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, still no overclock

Anyone using that fast shut down/bootup feature for Vista? Any disadvantages to using this feature? In Windows XP, bringing the computer back from hibernation would lower my overclock back to stock, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this feature in Vista.

Which feaure are you referring to?

You I'll bite. What did you guys do in x86 to bring it up.

maybe x64 will have it some day.

It's right in control panel. ;)

The Reliability monitor is pretty cool too;

stabilitymonitor.jpg

Which feaure are you referring to?

I think it's called the instant off feature (not sure if that's the official name). From the Windows start globe, click on the orange/yellow power button. Windows shuts down in a few seconds, and when you turn on the hard power button, Windows turns right on (without the bios or bootup screens).

It seems a lot like hibernation from Windows XP, but MS appears to be listing this as one of the new features in Vista.

Ok, you meant the sleep/standby function. My wife did it yesterday to me by accident and it seemed to work, but scared me at first because it made my screen look like my vid card got messed up for a couple of seconds before powering down. I would be weary about using it, as I had problems with most earlier Vista builds not being able to recover from it. Certain PSUs won't turn off everything either. On my wife's PC all the fans keep spinning in sleep mode.

Another bug;

I was uploading my sig to photobucket yesterday and I renamed my old one in the file open dialog (like you can do in XP) after that everything in the pictures folder disappeared. When I open the pictures folder from the start menu it shows all my files correctly, but whenever I get a file open/save dialog the folder appears empty. Probably has something to do with virtual folders, etc... I just woke up so I'll look into it once I get some coffee into me and wake up.

fileopen_savebug.jpg

I tried fixing it by temporarily redirecting the pictures folder to another one. but that seemed to screw things up even worse as I was unable to reirect it back to the original folder and my start menu entries changed to the new foldr name, which was I was unable to rename. I tried System Restore, but my PC tried to shut down for 15 mins, but didn't freeze up, so I killed it.

Solution to serious issues when System Restore won't work from within Windows Vista;

I manually shut down, booted the installation DVD, chose recovery options and ran System Restore from there, all is back to normal now.

Edit

The bug remains (empty pictures foler in open/save dialogs), but at least all my folders and startmenu entries have been restored, I moved the pictures folder to ...documentspictures and it works perfectly fine now.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/12/ms_flash...e_accelerators/

...Microsoft is working on a trio of technologies that will utilize flash memory as supplemental memory rather than as storage devices. Collectively referred to as "PC performance accelerators," Microsoft will debut SuperFetch, ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive to store and access frequently used data from peripheral flash devices and hyrbid hard drives...

...ReadyDrive pertains to how the OS utilizes the Flash Memory from a hybrid hard drive. Microsoft presenter Matt Ayres told TechEd attendees that the initial cache size will be 256 MB, the first 32 MB will be exclusively reserved as a write cache. Up to 68 MB more may be set up for boot/resume pinning, which places frequently accessed sectors during power up or resumption from suspension, in non-volatile RAM, Ayres said "Pinning" refers to the remapping of sectors to memory locations, without actually relocating (and thus deleting) data from the hard drive.

The remaining memory is split between two functions. What memory isn't reserved by OEMs for pinning for their own purposes, is requisitioned for read pinning. At least this much of ReadyDrive memory acts like ReadyBoost memory at this point...

...SuperFetch, will be a Vista feature that maintains frequently accessed data from the hard drive. ReadyBoost (which had in previous demonstrations been referred to as SuperFetch) will enable the operating system to requisition Flash memory from USB devices, or conceivably other sources, for use as higher-level read caches.

Especially ReadyDrive appears to become a substantial performance-enhancing factor in Vista computers. Data that decisively proves how much faster hybrid hard drives will be than standard models, are not yet available, according to Ayres. The reason: The prototype models Microsoft presently tests utilize a grade of Flash memory that is pretty much as slow, as Flash goes. Production models are likely to use much faster grades, he said, though the effect of accelerating the Flash on performance speeds cannot yet be quantized. Still, he said the average seek time for a random access hard drive may be about 10 ms, while the speed Microsoft's team sees with the prototypes it's been given, is closer to 1 ms. Ayres would not say whether this speed was realized with a hybrid hard drive based on Samsung or Seagate technology...

...Would the write cache for ReadyDrive memory truly offer a performance improvement, one attendee asked, given that standard HDDs already have a write cache that uses high-speed memory - presumably, higher speed than Flash? The performance improvement won't be realized as much during writes as during reads, Ayres admitted, although the true benefit of having a write cache, he believes, is that it enables the drive to spin down almost 90% of uptime, reducing wear on the drive and improving reliability and durability...

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I must say that the windows fan-club is more enthusiastic than I thought. I thought we linux folks were the ones ready to suffer in the attempts of trying out some new operating system, but now I wonder who's most willing to put up with a lot troubles...