The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

Thanks for the heads up. I have got RTM ready to install but I just can't find the motivation to do it knowing that in all likelyhood the nv drivers are still going to suck until it is released to retail in January.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys RC1 is no more, forget about all builds before RTM.

Both license model and Signed drivers are now active. which makes all pre RTM version obsolete and a complete waste of time.

Well I don't know if they are a "complete" waste of time.

I'm gonna keep using the Beta's for a while.

Let the guys with the big bucks be first on the block with this one.

Still can't OC your graphics and it doesn't Overclock as well.

Lot of money for something I really don't need and can't afford right now.

ALL nvidia drivers are embedden in RTM!

you only need the "Fernando" inf file to do a clean install with raid and the rest will install automatically.

Probably true, but it still looks like Nvidia is in for a lot more work before you could talk about 100 % reliable and stable drivers. Actually there's a whole lot of things being under pressure to be fixed; graphics drivers from Nvidia doing bad monitoring of temperatures for instance; the trouble of getting the right support for sound is still a headache for Creative since MS totally changed the architecture.

All in all I think Soundx98's words are very true: "Let the guys with the big bucks be first on the block with this one." I don't say it's a bad operating system, I just say it's in a very early stage to be of easy use for most of us.

Vista is going to be on the shelves jan 9.

I am running the relase version from the MSDN website (x64)

It's no use investing time in older builds since the code in there does not represent the released product and there is no further support from manufacturers since they are all focussing on RTM drivers which are totally different.

My config below works with Vista x64 out of the box, no issues with any Nvidia product in my system. BF2 runs perfect and yes it's more picky with overclock, i guess Prime95 is not the ultimate stabillity benchmark anymore....

I understand what you are saying perfectly Ralphie.

We'll all gravitate to Vista sooner or later, it's just a matter of time.

But I don't think some of our members are alone in not seeing the need to jump on Vista right off the bat. Service Packs and Hotfixes will be plentiful once it hits the mainstream.

Since you are using the latest x64 Version from MSDN, can you tell us if popular OCing programs like MBM5 (especially _xhp_'s NV Plug-in 7.22), ITE SmartGuardian, ATI Tool, A64Info, CoreTemp, etc are working for you?

Even better a list of programs that do not work would be helpful.

(IE; I can span my desktop horizontally across two 20.1: monitors in XP32 and x64 Edition. Doesn't seem to make sense I can't do this in Vista.)

I don't think any of us doubt the x64 version is stable, but many are concerned that these "tweak" programs will not run correctly due to Vista x64 security "features".

Have you seen a true advantage in running Vista x64 over Vista x32?

Benchmarks between the different OSes?

Any info you could share would be very much appreciated.

My reasons to run Vista x64

- I have an 4400+ X2, why not use it :D

- X64 works for me as fast as the x86 version (though games are slower)

- Vista in general is a much bigger resource hog than XP pro

- on X64 BF2 runs about 20% slower than on my XP Pro 32, but it's still playable

- I have no experience with ATI cards and i also did not find any ways to OC in Vista yet with the Signed drivers.

- I also did a fresh install of XP Pro (only for games) and now use Vista X64 for everything else.

- I find the GUI much nicer (full Aero interface) however Vista will be demanding on your system.

- I have no experience with other OC tools than 2 instances of Prime95

- C&Q is working perfectly in Vista, hence i don't want to overclock anything higher than the AUTO volt en AUTO multiplier (which means 216 Mhz FSB, with DDR 500 setting on memory in GENIE BIOS = 267Mhz DDR)

Above OC works rock solid with C&Q enabled and i haven't been able to make x64 crash. The only problem i have is that my system locks up when it recovers from "sleep mode" but i have the same problem with XP Pro, so seems to be a BIOS issue.

I find C&Q important, not only because it keeps the system cooler, but also becasue it generates less heat and keeps the energy bills low with 24/7 bittorrent usage (now run @ 1000Mhz @ 1v rather than 2500Mhz @ 1.5v :P

I really like it too but $400 is just too much to shell out when XP is still doing what it should. Plus 1 Gig of RAM just doesn't do Vista justice. So for me to comfortably jump to vista I would need 2 Gigs of good RAM and going all in, that would run me $600+. I just couldn't justify that to myself.

i tired it out for a few days and i have 2 gig - it was using about 50% of my memory with nero record running -

not too bad - still would have 1 gig left for other stuff

but it does need alot of high end parts to get a high score with there vista experince score -- mines came in at 5.0

i would have expected a bit more - but i for sure wont spend $400 for vista - thats insane

Hey Raphie did you get your free copy from powertogether.com or elsewhere? I got in on the free Vista Business offer just in time (they've since run out), but am wondering about the legitimacy of the whole deal since it just went up yesterday and my copy obviously hasn't arrived yet. Anyone here know anything about it?

Edit: I take back my question to you Raphie, seeing as you are from Netherlands and this offer was in the U.S. only....I'm assuming you're a beta tester or the like. Anyone else know anything about this?

Hey Raphie did you get your free copy from powertogether.com or elsewhere? I got in on the free Vista Business offer just in time (they've since run out), but am wondering about the legitimacy of the whole deal since it just went up yesterday and my copy obviously hasn't arrived yet. Anyone here know anything about it?

Edit: I take back my question to you Raphie, seeing as you are from Netherlands and this offer was in the U.S. only....I'm assuming you're a beta tester or the like. Anyone else know anything about this?

you might want to freshen up on the rules of this forum