The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am trying to look into upgarding as i am going to have to upgarde my whole computer systems accose my work

i haev 15 computers any one know whats the cheap way of doing this (and no i dont want xp to stay)

Thanks Philip

here's my suggestion:

forget Vista

there is ZERO REASON to upgrade to vista

none

zero

nada

most especially for WORK computers (which are considered mission-critical)

if you want vista, wait 6-12 months for a Service Pack to be released, then wait 30-90 days after that as it will take up to 90 days for popular software to be patched to work with a service pack (as any Service Pack usually breaks all the necessary software that you seem to need).

Again, this isn't me being a jerk or anything. It is me being realistic (and watching the nightmare of upgrades to new OS's from Microsoft for the last 10+ years in mission-critical environments....its a total and complete nightmare and unecessary)

I'll show you mine if you show me yours :D

Just so we can do some comparison against RC2.

I like the looks of the latest clock much better.

Windows Sidebar is definitely a different icon, but the rest look the same to me.

vistarc27ow.jpg

What's the dealio with that player thingy mabobber? Part of Vista?

Some really sweet tips and tricks for Vista at TweakVista

http://www.tweakvista.eu/index.php

Be a real good idea if folks let us know what version/build (x86/5744 here) cause there are a lot of differences between them.

Especially programs that ARE NOT working for you.

Hey SoundX...

That clock he shows in his screen pic is in the 1st betas...is it not in yours...

One thing I miss in the sidebar is the calculator...I forget which version it was...but it was in the sidebar...in the next it wasnt...let me go look quick to see if I still have it....sorry I didnt write the build number down...only the date I got it...6/1/06

Ok I don't have the time to look through this whole thread but I have done a search

Is Vista 64bit vs 32bit gonna be like XP where it (64bit) basically should have been aborted as a fetus (beta)? Will we need completely different drivers for hardware? Will there only be drivers (pretty much) only written for the 32bit version?

Edit: hehehe Post Count 666 its the devils number and I'm talking about the Devil (MS Vista)

Ok I don't have the time to look through this whole thread but I have done a search

Is Vista 64bit vs 32bit gonna be like XP where it (64bit) basically should have been aborted as a fetus (beta)? Will we need completely different drivers for hardware? Will there only be drivers (pretty much) only written for the 32bit version?

Bout sums it up, 32-bit Vista is gonna be what 85% of ppl are gonna be using. I don't think there is gonna be much driver support for Vista 64 bit until 2008, and will proberbly not kick in till next year

Click this link below for further details

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36938

Windows Vista SP1(codenamed Fiji) hotfixes appear on Microsoft's site

vistasp1.net has posted links to six hotfixes set to appear in Windows Vista SP1 (Service Pack 1) codenamed Fiji.

All six fixes can be obtained via Microsoft Support if you can prove that you are indeed having the problem listed.

The site links directly to Microsoft KB articles that describe each problem in Vista.

929734 - You may experience problems after you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation

http://www.vistasp1.net/

I have had this one every time, even after disabling it in the CP it still does it, so now i just have to put up with a screen saver or just switch my monitors off!

I got build 6.0.6000 (RTM) Dvd That I got from MS...

I havent had any issues with any programs I have trown at it...they all seem to work without any special tricks...

The only program that would give a error on reboot was ITE's Smart Guardian.

I would get the file not found error on reboot but running it as administrator fixed that...until I just disabled UAP in msconfig....then it runs fine from a reboot...

Also a rather big bug I see is creeping ram usage...when I reboot I hit the desktop at 38% (for 2 gig) while it's loading drivers and what not....then after about a minute it goes down to 20%

If I load it up with IE-7 and run about 3 tabs (this forum stuff) and Media player running music and MSN I hit 23%

now when I minimize the window and let screen saver come on it goes up 5% each time it comes out of saver mode til it tops out about 48%

only a reboot fixes this...I have tried everything under the sun to stop it...but last resort was putting the screen saver to None and just powering off the monitor....that did it...;)

And audio drivers still stink...;)