Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Installation Tutorial Video! (2 fast mirror

Vard,

we all had a factory heat pad at one point or another.

Happy_Game had just already removed it and fitted the stock cooler with Arctic Ceramic earlier. This alone would drop the temperature a few degrees. Using the VC-RH with AC/AS5 is much better though, as you could see. And yes, running the board a bit before the manipulation definitely make removing this pad easier.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to a defunct Enermax PSU, there was - sadly - no way to heat up the pad.

Which meant it was, strictly, hammer and chisel time for the chipset.

Didn't know that they arrived with a heat pad to start with, though. Is this standard on most motherboards ?

If so, I'll need to remove it from the chipset during the next CPU upgrade, before I emplace the new cpu's mobo.

You live and learn.

the older boards had thermal paste on them, not that crappy little pad =(

here's what i do (and I had to do this even on the AM2 Infinity after letting it run for almost 72 hours at 60C chipset temps lol)

i removed the chipset cooler (stock) and then took the edge of a credit card (a plastic knife or other plastic item is good too) and removed any excess pad, then took a cotton ball soaked in 100% acetone, and just set it on the chipset and put a heavy object on it (needle-nose pliars in this case), and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Removed the cotton ball, and then easily used a paper towel to remove the rest of the pad that was stuck to the chipset, then used 91% alcohol to clean it all up, drop a little drop of AS5, and installed the new chipset ;)

the older boards had thermal paste on them, not that crappy little pad =(

here's what i do (and I had to do this even on the AM2 Infinity after letting it run for almost 72 hours at 60C chipset temps lol)

i removed the chipset cooler (stock) and then took the edge of a credit card (a plastic knife or other plastic item is good too) and removed any excess pad, then took a cotton ball soaked in 100% acetone, and just set it on the chipset and put a heavy object on it (needle-nose pliars in this case), and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Removed the cotton ball, and then easily used a paper towel to remove the rest of the pad that was stuck to the chipset, then used 91% alcohol to clean it all up, drop a little drop of AS5, and installed the new chipset ;)

I was a little worried when my trusty thermal compund remover wasnt working on that goo... thanks for the tip on the credit card, that worked perfectly... overall i've seen a drop of 8-10 C idle... and my load temp isn;t much higher than my idle temp (thanks to the magificent vf-900 mostly, but still :) )

edit: Forgot to thank you for the video, gave me the confidence I needed to tinker with the board!!

Just out of curiosity, for those people that already have the motherboard mounted in the case, is it possible to simply cut the white plugs in half, pull the cooler off, and push the remaining heads through the board and then they will simply slide down and drop out the bottom the motherboard. Then you can easily just insert the VC-RE into place after cleaning the chipset, all without having to unplug and remove you motherboard.

I don't see anything wrong with doing that, but maybe I am just missing something.

Kind Regards

Prometheous

Guest LithoTech

That's how I did mine, but I wouldn't reccommend it to the uninitiated. The VC-RE isn't a perfect fit into the holes, and takes a wee bit of finagling to get it in. Unless your case has plenty of room, you may find yourself reapplying the TIM a few times.

Even in a roomy case you will want to pull nearly everything out of the way anyway, and it's only a few more wires and screws and the mobo is out. My P180 at the time was a pretty complicated cable management job, and I didn't want to upset anything that I didn't have to. It's better now, and not such a big job to pull the mobo.

Mine wasn't completely on first try, it looked like it was but it would rock side to side, or otherwise move easier than it should. Once it was properly and fully in, it would not rock side to side and is quite firm unless you really press on it.

I didn't get quite as much temp improvement as others, and it may be due to the TIM getting messed up a bit when fussing with the cooler, might be an air bubble in the works. It could also just be the vid card which is hotter than others. In either case, next time the mobo is out of my case I was planning on reseating the VC-RE.

I just had a quick question about the VC-RE. I noticed when I installed the VC on my motherboard the little posts have to be angled in slightly and it was quite a tight fit. The chipset ran about 10 deg. cooler than the normal aluminum sink, so I am assuming I installed it correctly, but I just wanted to make sure everyone else was experiencing the same thing on the CFX3200.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the post two above mine. Thanks LithoTech.

Guest LithoTech
Thanks for the help, I thought that it could be done, but yeh it may be better to remove the whole board, I'll think about it.

In the end, it took me about the same amount of time due to the constrained space, as it would have if I took the mobo out.

The problem for me was some finicky cable management, that has now been rectified.

Guest LithoTech
I just had a quick question about the VC-RE. I noticed when I installed the VC on my motherboard the little posts have to be angled in slightly and it was quite a tight fit. The chipset ran about 10 deg. cooler than the normal aluminum sink, so I am assuming I installed it correctly, but I just wanted to make sure everyone else was experiencing the same thing on the CFX3200.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the post two above mine. Thanks LithoTech.

No problemo! Most of the answers to any question are already in this thread.

Best test to be sure it is seated correctly, is simply push down on it's sides opposite the posts, if it rocks side to side with very little effort or pressure, it is not in correctly.

If it is in perfect, it will not rock without significant pressure.