Linux is it Worth it?

kiikkuja

I recommend Fedora above all others. Granted I have only tried RedHat Linux, Fedora core, mandrake and Ubuntu.

After tryng Fedora first and then Ubuntu later, I didn't like sudo in ubuntu at all. People say that Fedora is for more experienced Linux users, I actually found it easier to use than ubuntu.

In part due to the fact that there is a great step by step install guide for Fedora Core 3, 4 and 5

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_in...tion_notes.html

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_in...tion_notes.html

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_in...tion_notes.html

Stanton recommends you go straight for FC5 these days, have a read through the guide. Some of it probably wont apply to you like the LAMP setup and stuff. Probably easier than you think. Note: Fedora core is open source so you will have to download mp3 codecs/video codecs seperately.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Overbyter

You could always dload and burn Knoppix. Runs right from the cd, no install. A good way to get a feeling for Linux.

I have to agree here the LiveCD is an easy way to choose and there are many CD's to choose from..... :nod:

This may be of some help in finding the right distribution for you:

http://www.linux.org/dist/index.html

I run a dual platform with xandros as my linux platform.....It is a KDE environment...I find this easier than GNOME , for me,but alot of experienced linux users prefer GNOME...Try this read if you haven't already ...A review of the desktop environments...

http://linuxreviews.org/software/desktops/

Good Luck....

Ubuntu is super stable and super easy to install/ use but if you really like to customise some of the others might be better to play with. There are others out there that are probibily better for the expert users I dont fall in that catigory and never will as I hate command lines being dyslexic. They have both GNOME and KDE versions. Oh and if there is something extra it really doesnt mess up your computer to uninstall like windows.

I have used several versions of Linux, but like SuSE 10 the best.

Most avid Linux users believe that SuSE is for the birds. Everyone has their own opinion.

SuSE is the version to try if you want an easy transition from Window$.

You can use some games in Linux, but you will have to use an emulator.

Once I build my sig., (Which I just received.) my old box will be dedicated solely to SuSE 10 Linux.

If you want an easy way to burn ISO's, download CDBurnerXP Pro. It is free and does a great job. In fact, I use it to burn everything.

i just installed fedora core 5 today and i must say it has been one of the easiest ones ive tried. tried gentoo, suse,mandrake and now this. the only problem i ran into was with my 7800gt for the install as i couldnt find anything to tell me how to get the anaconda screen to show correfctly well all i had to do is at boot: type linux vesa and it worked then i installed drivers for the card after i got up and running. fedora does dual boot nice and easy compared to some ive played with where if you have a second partition it auto sets it up and sets grub up for dual boot no issues. the only other issues ive found is with fc5 x86_64 you have to install 32bit firefox or else no flash plugins work. but other then that its been a great experiance.

Linux is great, espicaly if you do alot of programing (damm java) or other program-esque things. However the main problem i have found that the support for ATI was never as good as the Nvidia support, i havnt used linux for over a year now so the situation may of changed.

My preference for distros is Mandriva 2005/6. Its very simple to use and navigate thanks to KDE

Sure you can use a distrobution of linux like fedora, mandrake, or suse that try to autoconfig for your computer's hardware, and not have a clue how anything works or what to do if something happens to not work with the default configuration, or you could use a distribution like slackware. I've used fedora, mandrake, gentoo, suse, knoppix, and freebsd (yes I know its not linux) out of all of them I've had the least amount of problems with Slackware, mainly because I dont have to fight with the autoconfigurations for the hardware or use rpm's (the package management system for fedora, mandrake, suse and some other linux distributions).

Installing Slackware doesn't have any fancy gui, but its very simple, quick, and easy to do, all you need to do is be able to run fdisk, and then type setup and go through some text based menus to pick which software/etc you want installed. It installs only what you tell it to, so there's no bloat. And contrary to popular belief, if one distribution of linux is compatable with your hardware, they all are.

Slackware has a pretty big library of binary applications on the slackware ftp/http/rsync mirrors that are free and easily attainable. Once you find an application you want thats a slackware binary file, all you need to do to install it is type "installpkg filename.tgz" as root user. Its very simple. And as the saying goes, "If you use Redhat, you learn redhat. If you use Debian, you learn debian. But if you use Slackware, you learn linux"

I've had plenty of good luck with Slackware, and hopefully you will with the linux distribution you end up choosing.

Good Luck!

--Fenix

I get the Linux bug every now and then. Have tried Red Hat, Suse, Fedora, and Ubuntu. Mind you, I'm a Systems Administrator for a living (although in my defense for Wintel workstations & servers) but every time I sit down in front of a Linux box I feel completely incompetent. Takes me forever to do anything, and there's a pretty good chance I won't have done it right. Such a different environment where not much of my experience translates well.