Sign in to follow this  
kiikkuja

Linux is it Worth it?

I'm a windows user and thinking about moving to some Linux Distro in the future.

My main concern is will there be as good as support for my audio, SATA, Lan , etc.

Can it really work? Also i'm worried about whether it's stable if i Oc. How about playing windows based games? Or should i just use both at first? With separate

harddisks? :confused:

Better forget about Windoze games.

Hardware support is generally not an issue, on modern NForce boards it should autodetect and use all the onboard devices. This is actually easier than Windows where you have to install additional drivers.

This question is: why do you want Linux?

Guest area51

To echo what Martin said above...with newer NF3 NF4 based hardware install will be easier than windows actually as it is all auto-detected (at least on the latest versions of ubuntu, fedora, etc)

And yes your windows games are toast...maaaybe you can get a couple to work with wine but in general forget about it.

I too am curious about what is motivating your switch? For example, I have a Fedora based server (running on an NF3-250GB) that handles all my data storage, web server etc type duties...but I use windows on the desktop because I like to game.

Are you looking to learn? If you are curious about what you are getting into you could install one of them on vmare and check it out...

You could also set up a small partition and install it on the same disk as windows...only malfunction there is I have yet to find an easy way to remove grub or lilo once you have them on even if you pull the distro. Perhaps Martin would know the answer.

I've been using linux for 3 years. Yeah, forget about the games. Some may work, most won't. It's easier to condifugure hardware (it automatic). The only driver you have to install would be for nvidia or ati cards.

You could also set up a small partition and install it on the same disk as windows...only malfunction there is I have yet to find an easy way to remove grub or lilo once you have them on even if you pull the distro. Perhaps Martin would know the answer.

The easy way to remove grub (or lilo) is to boot the winxp installation cd and chose the console (recovery console or something like that) and execute the command fixmbr (help fixmbr -- for help).

Guest area51
The easy way to remove grub (or lilo) is to boot the winxp installation cd and chose the console (recovery console or something like that) and execute the command fixmbr (help fixmbr -- for help).

Damn right that helps! :rolleyes: Don't know why that never occurred to me? Ah well thanks for the tip!

I just used a seperate hard drive as you can select the boot drive by hitting ESC on start. Very easy on Nfoce2 also dont even need to install the video drivers drivers with some versions as long as it is NVIDIA ATI doesnt have very good support yet.

With many it is as simple as stick in the CD and let it run only need to denter name regon etc.

Worth it is another matter they are free so it is worth the price :) it is more effecent than windows and you dont need to intall a lot of garbage to get things going it is actualy quicker than windows to install. Downside no games that is about it. everything else is better except for Rais and SATA support on some(at least with the old Nforce2 system)

A MS-DOS diskette and a `fdisk /mbr` also works fine.

Multi-boot system are generally best done with not having grub on the disk's boot sector. Place grub in the partition boot sector, and on the disk MBR use either no boot selector (have the active partition be the one with grub) or the FreeBSD boot switcher (even if you don't use FreeBSD). Never put grub into the disks mbr, in particular not from Fedora Core.

i run Ubuntu 5.1 on a machine.. just for kicks and giggles, its 64bit which is nice.

especially for certain things i do.... but its stable as a rock installed like a gem, i had no previous Linux knowledge.. i contemplated switching but games are really the only thing stopping me,

i already use GAIM and Firefox which are both convieniently incorporated into the install.. its very nice and FREE

My main reason for this query is that my girlfriend is setting up a new system with linux and i was wondering how hard would it be to do that with dfi expert mobo. My other reason was that my girlfriend and you guys have given me alot of reasons to do so too. In the near future i will put some distro in my system and put windows on separate partition/disk. From windows i will just play the games and the Linux will be my main os. Linux is easier to install, lighter, free, more stable, safer etc. what i understand. Thats a big reason too.

I've installed Ubuntu a few times. I like it... but games keep me on windows. The main challenges for me were:

- dual-boot (using 2 hard drives and grub)

- getting a Soundblaster card to work

- accessing Windows NTFS drives on the same machine

- making a USB wireless adaptor work with WPA.

The first three are easy and google (and/or the forums related to your chosen distro) is your friend. The last one sucked, but is not a problem for many...

So what i understand from your comments is: it's easy to setup and use. Any suggestions what distro should i get? I want the distro to be fast as in fast startup and light to use, very simple to install, has some firewall/safety feature/software which makes my system bulletproof or makes suggestions how to, supports at least: SATA, nvidia video cards, my boards audio and Lan etc.

Ok. Calm down...don't kill me. I'm just a noob...and you said already distros would be easy to install and the support IS there. I just wanted some suggestions which to choose.

Ps. I don't to want go through that uninstall all unwanted programs/features which slow my system and i don't wanna ever use (mail programs, default video players etc.)