Evercool VC-RE NF4/CFX3200/RDX200 chipset replacement fan @ SVC.com!!!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one. The fan is much quieter than the stock DFI one, sure beats the hell out of a passive one with a large loud fan 4" away from it, but it has a high pitched noise that it makes as if it is hitting into a twist tie or something. :(

quieter too, eh? i may indulge..

It does NOT work on a Lanparty NF3 Ultra-D (939 + AGP).

I have one. Its impossible to put the second pin down because of a transistor in the way.

I agree... the metal retention clip was too long and hit the caps in the upper right hand corner. I tried to bend it slightly and... BANG! Broke that little sucker! :mad: I guess I should have gotten off my lazy azz and used a Dremel or some metal shears!

So off to the shop I went. I fabricated a new metal retention clip out of some steel. I made the ends rounded off to clear the caps, and reused the plastic pins and springs. Should have been good to go, right?

Wrong.

When I placed the cooler on the chip, it just didn't sit down right. I played with it for a while and found that it was hitting a cylindrical component on the motherboard. (Looks like a small cap on it's side... at the lower edge of the cooler. ) :mad:

I took a Sharpie and marked the area that was causing the problem. I went back into the shop and used a rat-tail file to cut a groove in the side of the HS to clear the part on the MB. A few attempts... and a few beers later, it was good to go. :cool:

It may not look the best, but I'm running 39 degrees on the chipset with my fans turned WAY down. It's much more quiet, that's for sure.

Evercool%20VC-RE%20II.JPG

Mark

I installed mine yesterday. Its idle temp is around 40 degrees at full RPF which still seems a bit high for an idle temp with this fan. Its down by about 5 degrees. BTW is used Artic Silver 5 compound.

Whats every ones temps after changing the fan ??? :rolleyes:

Just installed the Evercool VC-RE. I am very happy with the result, over 10 F cooler than stock DFI cooler. I managed to do it without removing the motherboard. Just took my time and gently cut each plastic tip off with wire cutters and pushed the nubs through the back of the motherboard. Old one was on with thermal tape. Put Arctic Silver 5 on and popped the new one in.

I couldn't believe how chincy the DFI stock one is compared to the VC-RE. A little smaller diameter and about half the weight of the VC-RE. 5000 rpm vs 7000, and quiet. I'll take it!

I'm happy as a clam and I'm sure the chipset is too. I think DFI should have put more thought into their heatsink/fan for that chipset, especially when they knew that a two slot vid card would almost cover it up.

Going to install my vc-re tomorrow with my new ram and big typhoon replacement fan. Needs the the comp down because getting too hot in California. Thanks angry for the tutorial.

Will the stock Chipset HSF work? yes...

BUT

The VC-RE will

-Run Cooler

-Look Cooler

-Run QUIETER (less than half the noise at a given RPM!)

IMHO, the VC-RE chipset HSF replacement is the best bang-for-the-buck mod or upgrade you can do to to your DFI board for the least money.

Who the hell wants to listen to that whining or that howl (when set up to spin up to full speed at a certain temp and it hits that?) You NEVER hear the VC-RE over your case fans, and if you do, you must have some damn quiet ($30US) case fans.

hey!

I basically followed happy_games video tutorial, but had to cut some of the copper to fit the cooler in properly....Everything is running fine, graphics card fits etc...Its prob about the same size as the evercool...

heres some pics, of the cooler installed etc...

my temps are still 40 celcius @idle, so im hoping it will drop in temp soon..

i used arctic silver thermal compound...

PS!!! do you think that my case looks best the way it is, or it will look better if i move the neon lights to the side panel?

sorry bout quality of pics im using phone camera "supposedly 2 megapixel.."