Evercool VC-RE NF4/CFX3200/RDX200 chipset replacement fan @ SVC.com!!!

My chipset was running at 51-52c idle, 55-56 load with the stock heatsink, and the fan was making some funny noises... so, I picked up one of the evercools from SVC, it arrived today, I stuck it in and my chipset is sitting at 46-47c idle and it doesn't budge under load! If I set the fan to run 100% it drops to 44c and stays there solid under idle or load... Installation was the usual pain, but it worked out great... highly recommended...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a word of warning with that ve copper cooler (thats recommended)

i had it installed for 6 months, the other day i tried pluging in my 1900xtx in the 2nd pci-express slot (testing) , and after that i plug it back in the top slot. went to sleep. the next day turn on my machine (look at heat sink (it was seated ok) started to play bf2 1/2 hour later computer rebooted chipset temp = 84+, heat sink had come off (1 of the plastic pins)

i did not want to remove my motherboard so i just plug it in just my finger (1 plastic pin) dmg the micro ristor on the nf4 chipset.--- now no pci-express works + nf4 sata dead(rest of board ok)

it seams the plastic clims on the ve cooler can fail to spring out (when plug in) and the cooler does not have the sponge square that the origional cooler has (that protects the micro resistors from touching (and shorting out) from the heat sink. and insertion(or acdental removal) of the chipset fan may com in contact with the micro restors and short it out)

ie. my ve cooler came off (1 side) while computer was on can mad contact with 2 micro resistors shorting them out) (burn mark on heatsink underside)

be warned.. that square sponge material arounf the origional (dfi expert) heasink their for a reason. other seatsinks dont have them.

if you can get a seat sink thats hasd metal bolts+nuts etc..

untill that plastic pin faulture that heat sink - was great...a bit of a nudge from the video card then 24h later it poped off.. shorting 2 micro resistors..

33219201865.jpg

33219201895.jpg

Sorry that happened to ya bro. However that probably would not have been a problem had you installed it properly in the first place. My guess is that you somehow installed the heatsink on the board while it was installed in the case. I ended up checking out the video tutorial before installation. After watching it I knew i had to take the board out of the case to do the job right. I know exactly what your talking about though. After mounting the heatsink i flipped the board over and one of the pins did not spread out at the end. So i took my needle nose pliers and pulled it the rest of the way through until the pin head spread out. I also did not re-use the foam square.

no you are wrong.

(why is it that every one think it the end user fault - like they are STUPID) im a service tec. fix tv-hi-fi-comp-phones etc... i know what im doing, iv been doing it for 15+ years of modding clocking 8088 etc...c64)

(iv seen the video etc../fully write ups etc.) i spent 3 weeks reading every meterial before buying + installing that heatsink (6months ago), read reviews etc..

its been installed for 6 months (and yes i took it out of the case etc)when i put it in (you have to remove he m/board to remove the origional heat sink!)

(thier is NO WAY TO REMOVE THE ORIGIONAL HEAT SINK-WITHOUT GETTING TO THE BACK OF THE BOARD AND USE SOME PLYERS)

HENSE what you said CANT-BE DONE!!!!!! hense your guess (cant be done) with out breaking the board.

whats happen is that from day 1 the plastic clip is design badly.

(AND A SQUARE BIT OF FOAM LIKE THE ORIGIONAL WOULD BE GOOD)

IT WOULD PROTECT THE MICRO RESISTORS FROM CONTACT/SHORTS/CRUSHING FROM THE HEAT SINK WHEN MOUNTING OR REMVING.

a small push in design (which is week in diam difference) you push it through the hole and its suppost to pop back out from the plastic pin (both sides) but from day 1 only 1 side sprang out (and held in in place)

WHEN I PUT MY VIDEO CARD IN THE 2ND PCI-X 16X SLOT IT MUST HAVE NUDGE THE HEATSINK (1900XTX) AND WHEN I PUT IT BACK (THE NEXT DAY) IN THE 1ST 16X SLOT, IT THEM CAME LOSE 1/2HOUR AFTER I STARTED USING THE COMPUTER. and while the machine was on (heat sink half removed) the pressur the 1 clip is putting on the heatsink angles the heasink 30degress of to 1 side making contact with 2 micro resistors (with heat sink) shorting the resistors out(you can see a burn mark on the heatsink where the 2 micro ristors have made contact.)

so. the clip design not the best (the origional spring loaded clamp) is better, as well as it puts less tension on the chip - they use a contact thermal bond + trhe square sponge makes sure no contact is made from heatsink to chipset- even in the event of failur (ie the chipset fan is badly handled when mounting or 1 in comes of while running it does noty damage micro resistors or makes a short)

SO MY POINT IS - THIS CHIPSET FAN IS OK, BUT it has to be [put in evenally] both pins put/press in at the same time , as not to cause it to go 30 degreas on it side, as it is possible to dmg the chipset (tight on the clamps/springs/pins) and check the other side that both pard of the spring out clips on each pin comes out.

its still posible by putting in a video card in the 2nd slot that it may make contact (even when removing card) and pay losen a pin on the heatsink...

best chipset fans are the ones that have bolts on them (then they cant get lose) just by nuding them..

dfi design the origional heatsink so if it gets nudge the top plate cover can move without moving the heatsink itself, thst the thermal bond has a glue like effect, and that the clips are pring loaded so can tke a nudge without acdently popping out)

obvisilly they new the heatsink at some time in its like would get a nudge from adding/ or removing a video card in the second slot)

i need to take a photo - to show failure... (please wait - ill post it..)

ISSA2000. Several users here have this chipset cooler installed and don't have problems with it. If both pins where pushed through all the way you would have to be pretty ham handed to get that sucker to break loose. This is why i had assumed to you had missed a step.

For the record if you REALLY wanted to you could indeed install it without taking out the board. You would clip the pins off at the top and push it through. The result would be peices of plastic stuck under the motherboard. But yes it CAN be done.

ICE RICH: The site is currently down but if and when it comes back up:http://www.shinyhardware.co.uk/products/product.asp/pid=5511

Greetings,

The chipset cooler on my motherboard is playing hide and seek at times (read: intermittent on/off). It's starting to piss me off as I've removed and re-seated it with to no avail....... It looks like I need a replacement.

Anyone know where I can get a couple of Evercool VC-RE NF4 SLI-DR Chipset Coolers

in France? Or at least from someone from the UK, US or Canada that will ship to France.

Regards.........

You can go into the BIOS, under PC Health Status and set the:

“NB Fan Fully On…” > 30ºC

Basically this will set the fans to full speed (RPM). I notice that when I do this my whole system will run cooler. I prefer the fans spinning faster than the throttling. If the throttling or noise is to loud adjust the temp up a bit.

The stock cooler runs _very_ loud when you follow @tasr's advice. If you decide that you still want the VC-RE, you can get it in the UK here (not sure RE: shipping to france though) I've ordered a few off them in the past, and they were just fine... Only problem - the site currently says only one in stock - so you may be in for a bit of a wait...