Evercool VC-RE NF4/CFX3200/RDX200 chipset replacement fan @ SVC.com!!!

It is the responsibility of the system builder, in this case the end use, to insure that all components are installed and functioning properly.

Being under tension, once the plastic fingers spring out the stay in that position. For the heatsink to become detached for the reason given above indicates the installation was never completed successfully.

It appears the heatsink may have been faulty. But as the system builder the responsibility of a safe install rest with us. A careful inspection of the pins would have revealed that the one in question was not seated properly and should not have been used as installed.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ISSA9000

not sure what problems you are having or had, but you always seem to have problems and then make a huge deal out of it when the rest of us are happy and already using the machine as it was intended.

ah wait, I should have known the instant I read this...you know more than anyone else so you are the expert. I should have realized this months ago.

really?

you sure about that mr expert?

i must have removed 10+ stock sinks without removing the motherboard simply by cutting the tops of the plastic push-pins off while holding my finger in the center of the fan, then once both plastic push-pins have been chopped, you simply pull the chip set fan out and clean the chip-set, put the Ever-cool or any other push-pin capable sink in.

Pretty easy there....so I'd probably tell you that YES THERE IS A WAY TO DO IT IF YOU USE YOUR BRAIN EH?.

ya, OK, so I just showed that it can be done. Next!

the rest of your nonsense...is gibberish mostly.

1. i was referring to the video (example) and the fact that you have to remove the board to get the heat-sink off. (do you cut the pins while the motherboard in the case)?, (it would be safer even to do this with the board out of the case- probably on a flat surface.)

2. their are many useless way to remove things (then you can't use them again)..

(its like taking a engine apart (from your car) you probably want to use the parts again when you put back together)

sure i can cut them too (but then it he original pins are (heat-sink) useless.

NO THE IDEA IS TO REMOVE IT CORRECTLY, AND THAT ALL PARTS ARE IN STILL WORKING ORDER. IE NOT BROKEN (CUT)

3. NOW YOU ANSWER IS SILLY (BECAUSE THEIR IS PROBABLY A MILLION WAYS TO REMOVE IT) BUT THEY ARE PROBABLY NOT THE BEST WAY TO. (FOR MR AVARAGE JOE)

BUT THAT LIKE TELLING SOMEONE (GO ON JUST PULL THE 1900XTX VIDEO CARD OUT , WHILE THE POWER ON (AND COMPUTER RUNNING), 95% IT WILL WORK , AND IT WONT DAMAGE THE CARD + THE MOTHERBOARD.

4. no you would tell them to remove the board from the system (strip it down) turn it over (use a anti static procedures etc.. flat padded surface - carefully remove the pins by gently pressing them in and pushing the pin down, first 1 then the other.. as well as this etc... having the board out makes mounting a replacement heat-sink easier (IE the ve cooler)...

their are many ways to mount the heat-sink, but the example in the video is best for the general user.

LIKE CUTTING THE PINS (FOR MISTER AVERAGE GO BLOW) (WITH LITTLE OR NO EXPERIENCE, WHAT THE CHANCE HE SLIPS AND CUT HE MOTHERBOARD PCB, WE HAVE SEEN THIS WHEN SOME PEOPLE USE SOME PLYERS/SCREWDRIVERS TO UNHOOK THE CPU HEATSINK FROM THE BOARDS -- THEY SLIP AND SCRATCH(CUT) THE PCB AROUND THE CPU SOCKET..

THE CORRECT (AND ONLYSAFE WAY) TO REMOVE THE PINS(ORIGIONAL HEATSINK, WITHOUT DESTROYING THEM) FOR MOST USER IS TO GET TO THE BACK OF THE BOARD, AND MOST PEOPLE HAVE OR REMOVE THE BOARD TO GET ACCESS.

AND WE DONT HAVE A UNLIMITED SUPPLY OF PINS (INCASE WE WANT TO PUT IT BACK ON).

Umm...

That was interesting :???

In my eyes theres a difference between removing a $400 graphics card when the power is on and cutting the pins off a stock chipset heatsink worth perhaps $5 which your just about to replace anyway...

And I can't imagine DFI warrantying you messing about with the chipset - if they do, then thats awesome (more than I'd expect) and if they don't, thats perfectly fair - so don't replace it :s

EDIT: Read through this again, and by the looks of things the main problem was that you hadn't installed it properly or checked it was installed properly. Thats what I've read out of this thread so far, and I'll remember if I get one to check that its installed properly - would you install a X1950XT and then not check it was in right, to use your metaphor?

Umm...

That was interesting :???

In my eyes theres a difference between removing a $400 graphics card when the power is on and cutting the pins off a stock chipset heatsink worth perhaps $5 which your just about to replace anyway...

And I can't imagine DFI warrantying you messing about with the chipset - if they do, then thats awesome (more than I'd expect) and if they don't, thats perfectly fair - so don't replace it :s

hi iv edit my post..

unff if a board fails (or the origional heat sink fails ) under warrenty, (no modifacation) you have to send it back . (ere in australia) +2months waiting etc..

(you have no working system), so you decide to replace the fan with a aftermarket 1) but 4+ later the board onboard sound fails (not related to the mod does with the heatsink) (you HAVE NOT DONE ANY CLOCKING, MODINK OF any other kind)

now whats happens to you sending it back under warrenty, if you cut the pins you dont cant put back the origional heatsink, to clam warrenty..

even if the faulty was not due to the heatsink mod (every else is stock standard)

dfi will most likly not cover any mods etc... (thats is ok)

---

but

For the average user-no moding (im still using 90c cpu heatsink+ve) no clocking.. (me)

2nd now my aftermarket heatsink is faulty (lest say it came off ) while the computer was off, i notice it, remove it and put back the ORIGIONAL HEATSINK so i can use my computer while i order a new heatsink,

OPPS I CUT THE PINS of the origional heatsink ($5 buck), hense i cant put the heatsink on, hense i cant use my computer for a week+ because i have to order 1 from a differt state (vic).

i could have put on the origional heasink (noisey as it is), while i got a replace ment...

for whats it worth I DID CHECK THAT IT WAS INSTALLED PRPERLY AND SECURE (AND IT HELD FOR 6+ MONTHS) THE PROBLEM IS ONCE THE VE IS IN PLACE ITS PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL IF THE 2 SIDES OF THE PLASTIC PIN HAVE POPPED OUT (THE DIFFERENCE IS 1MM OUT AND MY FAIL PIN (ON 1 SIDE ) 1/2 MM OUT)

THE PIN HELD IN PLACE TILL I REMOVVED THE 2ND VIDEO CARD (BY ACDENTLY NUDGING IT , THE PIN ON 1 SIDE POPED OUT, IF BOTH PINS WERE WORKING THEIR WOULD BE NO CHANCE OF IT POPING OUT.

THE CLEARENCE OF THE ORIGIONAL PIN (POPPING OUT) IS MUCH LARGER 2MM CAN CAN BEEN SEEN VERY EASIL WITH THE NAKED EYE, WHILE ITS HARDER TO NOTICE THE EVERCOOL PINS..

sorry i forget to turn caps off, and im to lazy to retype what iv written..

(i wonder if their s any way to conv cap to lower typw like in word?)

so.. it is a very good cooler, but not the best design for a replacement for the expert board(at the time it was the only good replacement.)

Now i have question..

does the am2 dfi new nf5 board uses the simmular heatsink.. does it have the padding under the heatsink? has anyone remove the copper cooler on the nf5 dfi board to see?

JUST A POINT OUT: i did not have to say anything, im not trying to get a answer. No.

im just WARNING others that this is a possible outcome.. (remember no problems for 6+months)

, it could happen to the people next time they remove a video card from the slot above the heatsink.

cooling = (higher is better) = 10

looks = 10

noise = 10

mounting and instalation = 8

in case of pin failure =4 (needs improving)

my new expert board (im not removing the heatsink), ill set it to a limmited rpm (bios) and use a 8cm fan (19db) to cool it from a distance (so i keep my warrenty), im not clocking (i need max stability)

for 24/7day operation. and thats all i have to say...

First off, please do stop the caps - their really annoying and don't look good for you - but fair enough, you had caps on accident.

For the average user no modding does not mean ripping off their stock chipset heatsink and replacing it with a custom one - you've gotta be more than a bit skilled to do that, so I think you can take any blame which comes to you due to that.

First off, please do stop the caps - their really annoying and don't look good for you - but fair enough, you had caps on accident.

For the average user no modding does not mean ripping off their stock chipset heatsink and replacing it with a custom one - you've gotta be more than a bit skilled to do that, so I think you can take any blame which comes to you due to that.

Sorry about the caps (and my spelling, its no excuse, english 3rd lang)

what do you mean blame?

(it was mounted for 6+ months and only came off due a nudge while removing a video card from the 2nd slot (pci-express 16x)

what im tell people is the clip design on the ve cooler is not very good, other aftermarket heatsink are mutch better, including the origional heatsnk design.

they fact that 1/2mm difference between a clip failing and working is very hard to tell (even if you are a expert)

and remember when i first put it in, it work (held in place) even after a test nudge (when it was put in), and was ok for 6+months

it just not a good design (if a pin fails)

like some cars in car crashes - some have better outcomes after a crash .

anyhow the pics of fail pin are posted.. you have been warned.. it cost me 300$ and 1 week with no computer.

what im tell people is the clip design on the ve cooler is not very good, other aftermarket heatsink are mutch better, including the origional heatsnk design.

what everyone else is telling you is that it IS a good design, you are the only complainer here about this.

I've got VC-RE's that have been in place for over 8 months on boards that get heavy build/rebuild use where I am removing/adding vid cards, hdd's, psu's, etc every single day.

Not a single VC-RE has ever caused a problem. Look around at this forum and see that not the VC-RE is the most reliable, most popular chipset replacement cooler there is.

they fact that 1/2mm difference between a clip failing and working is very hard to tell (even if you are a expert)

aint seen a single one fail yet. YOU are the only one that has had one fail. Yet your "the sky is falling" is getting old and annoying.

sorry that you've had a negative experience but the truth is, no one is going to listen to you or take you seriously in your whining about this VC-RE cooler because there is no problem (except your problem).

so please let it go and move on. there's nothing wrong with the VC-RE. If there were, there'd be tons of complaints here. Instead, there's just a ton of complaining from you. You are trying to shout the loudest to be heard the most so that people will listen to you when you are the absolutely smallest minority in this forum (1 person vs 26,000+).

Please...give it up and move on.

what everyone else is telling you is that it IS a good design, you are the only complainer here about this.

I've got VC-RE's that have been in place for over 8 months on boards that get heavy build/rebuild use where I am removing/adding vid cards, hdd's, psu's, etc every single day.

Not a single VC-RE has ever caused a problem. Look around at this forum and see that not the VC-RE is the most reliable, most popular chipset replacement cooler there is.

aint seen a single one fail yet. YOU are the only one that has had one fail. Yet your "the sky is falling" is getting old and annoying.

sorry that you've had a negative experience but the truth is, no one is going to listen to you or take you seriously in your whining about this VC-RE cooler because there is no problem (except your problem).

so please let it go and move on. there's nothing wrong with the VC-RE. If there were, there'd be tons of complaints here. Instead, there's just a ton of complaining from you. You are trying to shout the loudest to be heard the most so that people will listen to you when you are the absolutely smallest minority in this forum (1 person vs 26,000+).

Please...give it up and move on.

i only posted about this 2 times , 1 that it can happen, and 2 a post with pics of the failed pin, the rest of the post where responses to "YOU MUST HAVE PUT IT IN WRONG" etc which i did not. and for reference i have many post saying it the best heatsink (before my failure).:)

great that 26000+ people dont have the problem, for 6 month i did not even know of the problem and if i did not nudge the heatsink while removing a video card it would (the fault) not have been discover proble for a few years (like a faulty o-ring in the space shuttle design) (they did many flights till it failed) then it came down to "not the best design":angel:

their may be other people that have the problem with 1 clip (pin) but have never nudge it out (slight movement). 1 installed you never touch it.

anyhow. thats it on the subject, you know it posible to put it in and it may hold with a bad pin- just check that if fully poped out on both sides of the pins.:cool:

maybe (this is what i think) that from day 1 my vc-re pin was faulty from day 1. and did not fully spring out (1 side of 1 of the pins), because it has only be installed 1 time, it possible f you remove it many times with plyers it could dmg the spring pieces of plastic.

I just purchased two Evercool VC-RE's. I installed one in my friend's computer today. I cleaned the chipset and added AS5. The clips were a little tricky but you have to use moderate leverage on the pins. The temp's dropped from 57 - 47 during gaming. Here's a comparison pic. =)

dsc00109ry0.th.jpg

Guest caffeinejunkie

Hes not the only one. I did have the VC-RE pop off my ultra-d after multiple re-installs and luckily I had SG open at the time and saw the chipset temp skyrocket and was able to shut it off. I was leary of using the pushpins there after so I macgyvered a nut/bolt/spring setup and it's working good. I dont blame evercool for it I just chalk it up to human error. Ive bought several VC-REs since and will continue to buy them.

How quiet is the VC-RE exactly? I like to have my computer super silent and noticed a new thread about the HR05 SLI. I already have the VC-RE on order but was wondering if it would be better for me to sell it and go with the HR05 SLI.