Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

Guest eva2000
actually it wasn't this at all

its an issue with the OCZ 600w Powerstream and this board

it simply will not power up when the Master card is inserted by itself in any slot or when both master and slave card are inserted in teh correct order (ie: master card in top slot, slave card in the bottom slot).

it will only power up with the master in teh bottom slot and slave in the top (and reversing lanes does not allow crossfire to be enabled...I tried 10 ways to sunday an no go), or the slave card in any slot by itself.

It will not power up without a monitor connected to a card either, which is pretty weak.

however, replacing the 600w Powerstream with the 520w Powerstream, it finally booted right up (and sounded like a jet engine with 2 X1900XT turbines running 100% lol)

Did you try with 600W PS to use one PCI-E to dual molex adaptor for the mastercard or slave and only use one PCI-E power connector for the remaining video card ?

Interesting thread this is, I should have CFX3200-DR with a few pairs of X1900XTX/XT CF cards if i lucky - fun fun fun :D

I'm reading a few issues for >4x SATA disk raid on this board, any follow up progress on the issues ?

well i pulled 28037 in 3dmark03 just now @ 2Ghz (stock speed 3200+ Venice, 2GB RAM, stock speed X1900XT's in Crossfire with no alterations to any CCC settings other than enabling Crossfire)

Sounds like you're very cpu limited there with that cpu still :)

Hi,

Obviously you guys know what you're talking about, though I'm convinced that when you have 7 fans, a dvd writer, floppy drive and 2 hard drives in raid 0, 600w just won't cut it for completley stable overclocks.

I'm now considering this

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-75zf.htm

though the specs of these 700w-750w psus don't seem to add up,

12v X 18 amps = 864 watts, underneath it says 60 amps, which is more like 15amps each when the system is under heavy load.

maybe I'll have to get one of those PC&P supplies or run 2 psu's.

Raja

X1900XTX/XT CF can consume between 20-30amps on +12v rails when overclocked!

750W silverstone should do you fine, Joel from Silverstone said the web site will be updated soon with the rail distribution for the 750W version just like the info provided for 650W version at http://www.silverstonetek.com/Q&A%20POWER.htm

Note newer 650W version has split the PCI-E power connectors to be handled by separate +12v rails. Most newer SLI/CF psus will have this method i.e. FSP700W and I believe 750W Thermaltake Toughpower psus as well. So i assume 750W Silverstone will follow suit.

You may also want to check the ATI certified list of crossfire psus at http://www.ati.com/technology/crossfire/ce...dcrossfire.html

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I stop Windows and/or the motherboard from trying to boot from any single extra hard drives that I have installed. The Asus AR832-MVP had a section in the bios where you could set which hard drives were available to be boot drives, then a section where you could set the boot priority. I could simply remove single/extra drive and that would leave the only RAID volumes listed. The CFX3200 looks to have something similar but you can’t manually remove drives. As soon as I plug a (unformatted even) drive into the 1.5Gbs Sli controller it grabs it and will only show that drive in the list of bootable hard drives. ???????????????? :(

Why oh why would it (by default) ignore the drives on the 3 Gbs ULI controller (RAID or other wise) and force you boot from a drive on the 1.5Gbs Sil controller.

Also if I have a drive on a Maxtor PCI card it will let me choose between it and the RAID volume I’ve set on the ULI controller but windows won’t boot. On the AR832-MVP I had to remove the drive on the PCI control to install windows. Windows would start install on the RAID volume but then at some point it would start copying files to the drive on the PCI controller, ignoring the bios setup and the windows install set up. At least I could temporarily unplug the problem drive and install windows and after the install I could plug the drive back in and all would work. On the CFX3200 I have tried the same thing but windows will only start to boot with the other drive on the PCI controller. If I take it off the RAID volume boots fine. ?????????? :(

I have 8 SATA connections but I can’t use them all if I want to boot from a RAID volume on the 3Gbs ULI controller?

Thanks for any help.

-Richard

How do I stop Windows and/or the motherboard from trying to boot from any single extra hard drives that I have installed. The Asus AR832-MVP had a section in the bios where you could set which hard drives were available to be boot drives, then a section where you could set the boot priority. I could simply remove single/extra drive and that would leave the only RAID volumes listed. The CFX3200 looks to have something similar but you can’t manually remove drives. As soon as I plug an (unformatted even) drive into the 1.5Gbs Sli controller it grabs it and will only show that as a bootable drive. ???????????????? :(

Why oh why would it (by default) ignore the drives on the 3 Gbs ULI controller (RAID or other wise) and force you boot from a drive on the 1.5Gbs Sil controller.

Also if I have a drive on a Maxtor PCI card it will let me choose between it and the RAID volume I’ve set on the ULI controller but windows won’t boot. On the AR832-MVP I had to remove the drive on the PCI control to install windows. Windows would start install on the RAID volume but then at some point it would start copying files to the drive on the PCI controller, ignoring the bios setup and the windows install set up. At least I could temporarily unplug the problem drive and install windows and after the install I could plug the drive back in and all would work. On the CFX3200 I have tried the same thing but windows will only start to boot with the other drive on the PCI controller. If I take it off the RAID volume boots fine. ?????????? :(

I have 8 SATA connections but I can’t use them all if I want to boot from a RAID volume on the 3Gbs ULI controller?

Thanks for any help.

-Richard

Hi there!

In bios under Advanced Bios Features there is some booting prioritys that you can choose from.

-Removable Device Priority

-Hard Disk Boot Priority --->here you can set the boot prioritys of your HDD:s

-Network Device Boot Prioirity

I haven't tried it my self yet, But will probably try it next week when I'll be adding a PATA drive for Linux OS.

-Toby

Hi there!

In bios under Advanced Bios Features there is some booting prioritys that you can choose from.

-Removable Device Priority

-Hard Disk Boot Priority --->here you can set the boot prioritys of your HDD:s

-Network Device Boot Prioirity

I haven't tried it my self yet, But will probably try it next week when I'll be adding a PATA drive for Linux OS.

-Toby

Yes but as soon as I plug a drive into the 1.5Gbs Sli controller the bios grabs it and will only show that drive in the Hard Disk Boot Priority, the RAID volume is no longer a listed option.

Yes but as soon as I plug a drive into the 1.5Gbs Sli controller the bios grabs it and will only show that drive in the Hard Disk Boot Priority, the RAID volume is no longer a listed option.

Ok, that doesn't sound right.. looks like I'm going to have to do some fighting with the same problem next week..

-Toby

Thanks to all you guys for this thread - it's been wicked informative!

Quick question for you, I saw a few pages back that Angry said that the PCI & PCIe are always locked on these boards. Unless ClockGen is fooling around with me, mine is changing with my FSB. It's maintaining a 1/8 ratio. I've tried overclocking the FSB in the BIOS and in Windows via ClockGen and both ways it's reporting a rising PCI bus speed. Any thoughts?

Igo to pll setup and select the "ICS 951462" Clock generator, that eems to work for me and ,list all the values correctly.

I have managed to find a stable dram setup for 250 mhz. I relaxed the timings and htt multiplier / cpu multi so that i could try to increase the clock. I opened sp2004 and started a large fft test. Using clockgen I increased the memory clock 1 mhz at a time. I had a slight problem breaching 265 mhz so i increased the voltage .03 volts. I thne was able to round it off to 270mhz. Sp2004 continued for 5 more minutes withoput a hitch. i then tried to set the memory speed in the bios at the same speed and it would not boot windows correctly. I have been trying to do anything possible to make it stable using tony's guide but i cant seem to get it to work. Also i note that with the relaxed timings and increased mem speed i can consistantly POST with 2.7 volts set in the bios( 2.80 displayed in bios ) Before with 250 mhz and tight timings i was only able to consistantly POST with a voltage setting of 2.45 volts ( 2.54 displayed in bios ) I am currently using memtest86 Test 5 to determine mem stability and trying to decrease the errors found because if i can decrease the errors found i feel that i am moving towards no errors at all. Is this Wrong to do?

Are you using the clockgen that was on the supplied CD?

No, I downloaded the most recent one from cpuid's site. I didn't realize it was on the CD. Is it different? I'll try it out when I get home!

Igo to pll setup and select the "ICS 951462" Clock generator, that eems to work for me and ,list all the values correctly.

Cool, I'll try this when I get home too! I've been using ICS 951446 I believe.

Thanks guys!

I'm having major issues with the mobo!!!!

I can't use the 233 or 250 mem dividers as it always gives 236.6 as mem speed set at either setting in bios!!!!

I can't save Data Drive Strenght setting either!!!!

I've tried clearing the CMOS & also used the KillCMOS program as tony recommended but no difference! I'm very miffed about this :mad:

I've tried all bios's available, 1/2 of them I can't even boot with dual channel :mad:

Anyone elso have this problem?

Raju - just to check - you do have the extra 4 pin floppy power connector wired up on the motherboard yes? (Next to the first PCI-e card slot?)

yes mate, it's connected. I can run rock without the extra case fans, but if I plug them in, things start to lock up. I am waiting for some of the new psu's to be released. The new OCZ 700w is based on the FSP Sparkle with a few extra refinements, it's either that or the new Silverstone 750w.

Thanks

Raja

Did you try with 600W PS to use one PCI-E to dual molex adaptor for the mastercard or slave and only use one PCI-E power connector for the remaining video card ?

as I have stated...I tried every possible combination over the course of a day and a half before I finally just plugged a different power supply into it and now everything works just fine

How do I stop Windows and/or the motherboard from trying to boot from any single extra hard drives that I have installed.

set your boot drive to be the first in line in Hard Disk Boot Priority

btw, has anyone tried using Hitachi's F-Tool to enable 3.0Gb/s on SATA II Hitachi drives?

both the cd and the floppy versions hang up or fail at some point

going to have to plug these brand new SATA II drives into my NF4 and turn on Spread Spectrum Clocking along with enabling SATA II since it is impossible on this 3200DR

PSS ATI finally relented and said they would supply me with permanent Crossfire cards lol

looks like Angry might be coming back with a very crow-eating apology to everyone (but not until I am done testing and I really see the difference lol...yes I am hard-headed)