Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

1. Update system BIOS and use your current driver.

2. Based on step 1 and you still see problems. Update beta driver. But my suggestion is only for users who are using WD360 disk drives.

3. After updating BIOS and beta driver and you still see problems.

(1) Possibly caused by unstable power. So please check your disk power connector.

Don't connect too many disks to one branch of the power connector. Usually connecting two disk drives to the same branch of power connector is okay to use. More than two will cause more troubles due to unstable power.

(2) Possibly caused by bad sectors.

(3) Others, and you could feedback to DFI or ULi if you think it is really a issue.

:)

Hi,

The problem is NOT bad power (I have have a Tagan 900W and have also used Seasonic 600W) and have also had independent power to the drives using an Enermax 500W JUST for the drives.

The problem is not bad disks.

The problem DOES NOT HAPPEN on the ASUS board with all other hardware the same.

Do I have to open a ticket with support for feedback or is this enough?

Maybe DFI can respond to this question: Are they sure there isn't a bad batch of ULI (or other board component) chips out there?

I feel at this point all those with the problem should be offered a priority advance replacment board (with a Credit card deposit if required).

That way we get our new board before we have to send back the faulty one. The replacement should come with a prepaid courier docket so we can call them to pick up the faulty one after we swap in the new one.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

The problem is NOT bad power (I have have a Tagan 900W and have also used Seasonic 600W) and have also had independent power to the drives using an Enermax 500W JUST for the drives.

The problem is not bad disks.

The problem DOES NOT HAPPEN on the ASUS board with all other hardware the same.

Do I have to open a ticket with support for feedback or is this enough?

Maybe DFI can respond to this question: Are they sure there isn't a bad batch of ULI (or other board component) chips out there?

I feel at this point all those with the problem should be offered a priority advance replacment board (with a Credit card deposit if required).

That way we get our new board before we have to send back the faulty one. The replacement should come with a prepaid courier docket so we can call them to pick up the faulty one after we swap in the new one.

Have you updated the new system BIOS ?

Yes, I have updated the BIOS and drivers (per posts from a couple of days ago in this thread).

The problem can be quite random at times too, sometimes you don't see it for hours, other boots you get it every minute and sometimes hard locks. :-(

When this happens just a reset is not enough, the machine needs to be powered off to help, this smells of a bad chip/other component to me .....

Yes, I have updated the BIOS and drivers (per posts from a couple of days ago in this thread).

The problem can be quite random at times too, sometimes you don't see it for hours, other boots you get it every minute and sometimes hard locks. :-(

When this happens just a reset is not enough, the machine needs to be powered off to help, this smells of a bad chip/other component to me .....

Have you replaced a new board from where you bought?

After you get a new board, update new system BIOS.

Usually updating system BIOS should be enough to solve your issue.

If not, update beta driver by the following steps.

Driver installation procedure:

1. In Device Manager of WinXP, pick our storage controller.

2. Click on Driver -> Update Driver->No, not this time->Next->Install from a list (Advanced)->Next->Don't Search...->Next->

Have Disk->Browse to get the driver->OK->Pick "Uli SATA/RAID Controller ->Next->Continue Anyway

3. Restart system for new driver to take effect.

Have you replaced a new board from where you bought?

After you get a new board, update new system BIOS.

Usually updating system BIOS should be enough to solve your issue.

If not, update beta driver by the following steps.

Driver installation procedure:

1. In Device Manager of WinXP, pick our storage controller.

2. Click on Driver -> Update Driver->No, not this time->Next->Install from a list (Advanced)->Next->Don't Search...->Next->

Have Disk->Browse to get the driver->OK->Pick "Uli SATA/RAID Controller ->Next->Continue Anyway

3. Restart system for new driver to take effect.

No, I have not RMAed the board as I was hoping the updates (which per the previous post I have already done and would of course redo for a new board) would solve the problem.

In addition, it is a major pain to swap out a board again, plus being without it for an indefinite time (many weeks probably as I'm in Ireland and the supplier is in the UK).

So I'd have to put the ASUS board into it again but I am supposed to be selling it to someone who would then have to wait too ....... hence my suggestion that DFI organise an advance replacement for us.

I've already had to phone Microsoft to reactivate my Windows (64-bit) and would have to do it another TWICE (at least) if I go that route.

Sigh .....

Maybe its all just a bad dream and when i wake up all will be well?

Well it wasn't just a bad dream.................i started getting random lock-ups so i just went to a non Raid set-up. If anyone else does this make sure you don't use the new Beta bios. I couldn't even format my other drive (storage) through widows without it locking and rebooting. Went back to latest released bios and it went throught the format fine.

Well it wasn't just a bad dream.................i started getting random lock-ups

Hi,

After what time did these lockups appear? e.g. you had the board for 3 weeks and then they started appearing or was it after an update or?

Just wondering if maybe your board/chip has gone faulty after some time or what? (I think you might have mentioned adding some hardware or something before?)

Cheers!

@ everyone: Is there any correlation between running Crossfire and the errors? Do DFI/ULI test with a Crossfire rig and high-end CPU (i.e. high power load).

Hi,

After what time did these lockups appear? e.g. you had the board for 3 weeks and then they started appearing or was it after an update or?

Just wondering if maybe your board/chip has gone faulty after some time or what? (I think you might have mentioned adding some hardware or something before?)

Cheers!

@ everyone: Is there any correlation between running Crossfire and the errors? Do DFI/ULI test with a Crossfire rig and high-end CPU (i.e. high power load).

Mainly after using the new beta bios and the ULI raid driver. I'm not running crossfire either. Should we RMA if possible (maybe faulty chips)?

Mainly after using the new beta bios and the ULI raid driver. I'm not running crossfire either. Should we RMA if possible (maybe faulty chips)?

To do an RMA (unless you have a friendly retailer) we would need to have a definitive statement from DFI agreeing to it, otherwise I see the following scenario:

"Hello retailer, I have a fault" - (they give an RMA and I send back my board)

1 week later the board arrives, 2 days later (if I'm lucky, more like they send it off to somewhere which takes another 3 weeks) they get around to testing, plug in a CPU/drive/RAM .... it seems to work fine.

They send it back (another week) with a note to say "No Fault Found" and I've wasted €30 shipping + 2 - 6 weeks with no board ......

To do an RMA (unless you have a friendly retailer) we would need to have a definitive statement from DFI agreeing to it, otherwise I see the following scenario:

"Hello retailer, I have a fault" - (they give an RMA and I send back my board)

1 week later the board arrives, 2 days later (if I'm lucky, more like they send it off to somewhere which takes another 3 weeks) they get around to testing, plug in a CPU/drive/RAM .... it seems to work fine.

They send it back (another week) with a note to say "No Fault Found" and I've wasted €30 shipping + 2 - 6 weeks with no board ......

Bought mine from the Egg...never had an issue with them on RMA's.