Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

I don't think it can come really from that..did a full or quick reformat during the windows ( DOS process) don't really do a big big difference ( the time to do it yes.)..

There's a little thing i find strange with this Raid Uli... the size of the Raid area;

my HDD do 2x 160Go, in all Raid i have use ( SIL, NVraid) the final zize of the array is allways under the total of the HDD (2x 160Go give only 315Go final, not 320Go.) with the Uli raid, the final size of the Array is : 328Go....

the problem with the Raid, come from the paging file? right?.. ( it was the message i have got in past.. the peripheric have not respond in time, error in the paging files...)

Possible it can from that.. no? ( it's just an idea...)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all first post :)

i was getting the error every 2 hours to within the minute, now ive just done a full format and a clean install with the beta drivers and seem to be getting them more often or could that just be caused by the windows install ?

iam of the work now so will see better tonight.

Kev

I have launch a Prime, it seems i have got this issue by past after some hours of Prime.. i hope can see.. the problem: if it do this in games i will not have possibility to check the ev. viewer, cause the only games i have got sometimes crash was GW: and it can come too from my OC or DDR, the fact is the PC just lock with continuous sound, so no error are write on the ev. viewer..

One ask... is someobody have got this error without the Raid?.. in case it s not solve.. i can use my HDD's without the Raid0.. ( little loose of performance, but not a lot for bench..)

Lane,

I've been following this thread and i can say i've never had this error in the event viewer.I've used at times a single drive on both the Uli and Silicon Image sata chip sets.Maybe I'm just lucky I guess.If lets say everyone is using the same BIOS and drivers and some keep getting this problem and others are not it must be a bad chipset.I'm no expert but if you step back and look at this problem what else could it be?DFI needs to look at it as their maybe some bad ULI chips on some boards.Could it be just a RAID problem.....it could i guess.I can't really say because I've never run RAID on this board.I just find it strange that DFI can't solve this problem and that this problem has existed this long.This is already starting to be a serious customer serice problem for them

Well i reformated and installed the ULI new beta driver in with F6 at load.

I got everything loaded in and things seem to be running a little better. I checked my event viewer and did see a couple of 5288 errors. But didn't notice any actual problems becuase of the errors. One of the errors were from defragmenting, but the defragment worked so i don't know what the error had anything to do with.

I also got WoW loaded back in and played it for about 1.5 hours with no pauses or sound problems (fingers still crossed).

I try full format install win xp sp2 with beta driver without install ULi 2.20 and got no problem , try install ULi 2.20 sata controller i got error , could it be this software? , i play HOMNM 5 got stuck

Hottubjohn I have been telling DFI for three months that it seems to be a problem on only a percentage of motherboards, I think that they may know this, it may be something like slightly sub standard ULI Chips and they are hoping that a new driver will sort the problem. As ULI have been taken over by Nvidea it could explain why it is taking so long. I am finding that I am having another problem at times when I switch on I find that the computer will not recognise a Hard Drive or a partition and sometimes all the data has been lost. I must say I have had enough of this motherboard.

Kind of scary... but I do get the same disk errors ("51") even after disabling ULI SATA controller and only using SIL3114. Not quite as often as m5228 errors, but often enough - and with exactly the same results: freezes...

What could this mean? My three SATA drives should be ok, the cables likewise. Still, unless I'm the only one suffering from event-logged SIL3114 freezes too, this might mean something more sinister, not directly related to ULI or SIL controllers at all. But what, then..?

Hi all,

I was thinking about the issue with this ULI (and maybe SII) on this board a bit and though I'd try something.

I have disabled the windows swap file and so far (touch wood!) the lockups have GONE.

I can all of a sudden (since setting no swap file) run HDTach short and long test with no freeeze, windows boots with no freeze too .....

So, can everyone with the problem may try this and see what happens.

If it works, maybe try running the swap file on the SII controller (I will try this next) as you may need the extra RAM gained by windows normal paging.

I'd be very interested to hear how others get on, I'm also sure DFI/ULI would be too as it may point to the source of the trouble.

Out of interest, I am running the new beta driver, but installed it as a normal windows upgrade, i.e. "Live". I'm running a 4 drive RAID 0 (per sig) that I brough over from my ASUS board (i.e. created on ASUS A8R32-MVP, ran on that with no freezes, plugged it into DFI board, got freezes, installed new driver, still freezes, remoed swap file; no freezes (yet!).

P.S. I have max queue and max pre-fetch in the "South Birdge" (sic) settings with the HPET enabled.

P.P.S. Currently stress testing: 2 x Prime 95 (1 per core) + 2 x copy ops (to same array) of 5 x 2GB files each + HDTack running long test. So far drives are rattling away like mad with no lock-ups ..... plus this is my 4400+ @ 2.64GHz (Highest OC so far) ...... RAM is at 333 though until I establish max CPU OC.

P.P.P.S. I have the ULI RAID util disabled as I got those silly errors in event log from it on the ASUS too so it's been off all the time I've had the DFI (installed last Saturday).

Another note: I also have the +10% current on for all items but that was not helping with the freezes before I disabled the swap.

Good luck!

I allready figured disabeling swap file solved a lot, but running the swap on another disk/controller doesnt help. That's why it could be a driver problem. But I start to doubt it...

ChkDsk