Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

This is what I've noticed, whenever my system has been shut down for a longer period.. let's say when I turn it on the morning it won't boot up windows XP before I go in to the bios and change some value--> save and exit--> then XP boots normally again.. running 270 x 10 1T..

Not sure why this is happening.. anyone else stombled across the same thing?

-Toby

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i cannot get the ram setting stable soon i think i might return it and grab an nf4 ultra-d. can anyone give me a good reason to keep playing with the ramfor a another week instead of sending it back? I am only using one pci-e slot ( i bought this board, and waitedd I might add, becuase it was suppossed to be better than the ultra-d but i cannot see any reason that can be true and even if it was i dont think it is worth twice the price

I haven't read any of your other posts, have you looked at OCZTony's guide on tuning RAM for the CFX3200? Its a solid starting point. I also have some G-Skill memory, and its pretty finnicky, and I haven't been able to get as high of a stable overclock from my memory as with other boards.... Having said that, my Sandra bandwidth numbers are still higher.

One thing to note, its a bit early to be trading in the board, there is a BIOS update coming that will address compatibility issues with some types of memory.

Also, I noticed that if one or two settings for your memory are off even a smidgen, you will see performance issues. When tweaking my G-skill memory, the board really likes the timings as tight as possible. I had everything stable a couple days ago, but was getting some strange menu hangs in Maya, I changed like 3 DRAM settings, added 200MBs to my bandwidth and got rid of the menu hang.

One thing you might try is using the "auto" setting on some fields that are not necessarily critical as described in Tonys OCZ guide. I would manually set all the timings however as the board tends to get those wrong when overclocking.

One of the strange things I've noticed is that my ram will run @ 216 mhz at 225 htt, 2.5-3-2-6 12 X multiplier on this motherboard, the effective ram speed is 245mhz.

If I lower the multiplier to 11 use 1:1 (200mhz), 245htt, I can't get it stable, even if I relax the memory timings.

I wonder what could be the difference between the settings, even lowering ht link to 4 x will not work, or altering drive impedences.

Raja

If i cannot get the ram setting stable soon i think i might return it and grab an nf4 ultra-d. can anyone give me a good reason to keep playing with the ramfor a another week instead of sending it back? I am only using one pci-e slot ( i bought this board, and waitedd I might add, becuase it was suppossed to be better than the ultra-d but i cannot see any reason that can be true and even if it was i dont think it is worth twice the price

look at Bleeding Edge for Tony's setup of this board...he uses EB (Infineon) and EL/XTC (Samsung UCCC...which is exactly what is in your Gskill's)

make sure you don't use Auto

make sure you use the latest BIOS for the board

otherwise...give up and get an Nf4 original (not Expert and not Venus cuz you won't find a Venus lol)

I have given up on trying to acheive any memory overclock. I Just cant get stability no matter what i do. I have been able to run at stock speed ( 250 mhz) with fairly tight timings and have 75% stability. loosening the timings makes me more unstable and so does tightining ( really making me scratch my head) My bios will sometimes reset the cmos if it hangs with my memory settings ( I did not know that was possible) I checked the cmos jumper and i made sure i did not even try to use cmos reloaded or the reset button.

Hi,

I have incorrectly flashed bios (my fault, I tried via pen drive, a moment of lunacy), the board will now not boot, does anyone know of a fix? I heard Tony had something, but have not yet recieved a reply from him. Looks like I'll be needing a new bios chip. BTW I've tried all the standard fixes, clearing cmos, battery removal etc.

Raja

ati really needs work on their drivers in crossfire mode, i cant play dvds when crossfire is enabled, disable it dvds work fine, or i disable the hardware accerleration, it will work. games work fine and all other videos work fine, intervideo7 doesnt work with crossfire enabled and harware acceleration enabled, should i try some omega drivers or something so i can see if i can get some stability.

ati really needs work on their drivers in crossfire mode, i cant play dvds when crossfire is enabled, disable it dvds work fine, or i disable the hardware accerleration, it will work. games work fine and all other videos work fine, intervideo7 doesnt work with crossfire enabled and harware acceleration enabled, should i try some omega drivers or something so i can see if i can get some stability.

Hmm, I got DVD and TV running with Crossfire enabled. Of course I am using MCE 2005.

look at Bleeding Edge for Tony's setup of this board...he uses EB (Infineon) and EL/XTC (Samsung UCCC...which is exactly what is in your Gskill's)

make sure you don't use Auto

make sure you use the latest BIOS for the board

otherwise...give up and get an Nf4 original (not Expert and not Venus cuz you won't find a Venus lol)

AG, no samsung UCCC tested as yet, was the next kit in, todate on this post i have tested 4800plats, 4000EB and 4000Plats, whaich are TCCD, CE5, Micron F die, sammy UCCC will be the next kit to get punished

I'm using the Mushkin XP4000 eXtreme Performance, 2Gb Kit based on Samsung UCCC chips and they been working quite well.

Follow Tonys guide when setting them up and here the settings I have atm:

mushkin.JPG

-Toby

Hmm, I got DVD and TV running with Crossfire enabled. Of course I am using MCE 2005.

i really dont know what to say, my tv works fine but not dvd, it worked before but i dont know what the heck is going on.