Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

One thing I have found out for us gaming fans who overclock, is that many of those tests will run for ours without even a single error, then you load something like oblivion, all the toys go flying out of the pram!

If you are gaming and overclocking, I would at least suggest you run the S&M stress test, do a google search, it's available for free. Set the CPU load slider to 100%, if your system can take a few loops of that test, it will most likely not throw a wobbly when you are gaming. I understand that it has become the norm and accepted to run many other benchmarks, ofcourse we may all pat ourselves on the back, also have others verbally pat us on the back when we pass them, but some of those benchamrks will not really reflect how stable your system will be for gaming, you'll get an idea, but not the complete picture.

Raja

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone please give some incie on the issue that i raised in my previous post? I would also like some help determining the problem I have. I have set up dram setting in the bios twice now, both slightly different because I thought there might be a problem. I have booted with each of them and ran dual prime for 5 hours+ with no errors. the problem is that i can not even get it to post after I ask it to restart from windows instead of turning off.I aslo seem to have trouble sometimes with it not posting even when I push the the power button from it being off. Other times it boots right up into windows. I have manualy set the cpu voltage to 1.375 (Cpu-z and smartgaurdian report it as 1.34v though) I would really aprreciate the Assistance. I am extremely confused with this oard atm. btw i only have a single 1900xt in atm

If you've overclocked, that vcore is probably on the low side, unless I'm wrong of course..

You have to set the voltage one higher in bios than you actually need.

heh, aight

just making sure you guys know where I am coming from

I've got a lot of respect for bleeding edge types that at least have a clue what they are getting themselves into, as does Rgone

it's the types with too much money and not enough sense that really get us going over the edge lol

anyway, I am still testing this 3200DR board with a single and Xfire X1900XT's that I borrowed from CPU Killer

If people get angry because I honestly state that I am not impressed and I would rather own SLI (though, once again, I would still prefer a single X1900XT for single cards as they are the best, and cheaper than Nvidia's top card), well that isn't really something I worry about too much.

Thing is, I don't remember anyone getting upset at me (especially Nvidia) when I told my honest opinion back when SLI stank to high heaven and was absolutely NOT worth the money...

ok no more complaining...I am still testing testing, and once I am done, I will post up my results and you can all decide for yourselves (and I won't be including ONLY synthetic benchmarks...)

here's what I will be testing

3200DR with a single X1900XT and Crossfire X1900XT

3200DR with a single Raptor 36GB 10,000RPM drive & with 2x80GB Hitachi SATA II RAID-0 drives

original RDX200 Lanparty with single X1900XT and Crossfire X1900XT

RDX200 with single Raptor 36GB 10,000RPM drive and 2x80GB Hitachi SATA II RAID-0 (but the RDX200 doesn't have SATA II support)

3dmark2001

3dmark2003

3dmark2005

3dmark2006

ATTO (hdd speed test)

HD Tach (hdd speed test)

Everest 2.20 Home Edition (memory bandwidth)

FEAR

Call of Duty 2

Quake4

if you all have some other games that you'd like me to bench, let me know, and i'll see if I have them (probably do!)

I think CAT 6.3 should be used, 6.4 has known issues.

Also when running Crossfire, you may have problems with the Catalyst AI function set to advanced, with this board I have found I need to set it to Standard, some games show Crossfire errors when Advanced is used, BF2 SF is one of them.

Thanks AG

Hmm after testing stablility at stock I am starting overclocking - but I cannot get to 225 FSB.

I have tested and got working - 220 (10x) and HTT Bus of (4x) - this was running at default voltage and ran a 15 mins Prime test fine (I am moving up hence only 15 mins). But move to 225 and I cannot POST.

Might be this new board and its need for manual memory timings - I have specified a 133 divider and have clocked the memory at its standard. This is well within spec. (Running 2T - the aim is to stress the CPU first to see what its got)

TCL - 3

TRCD - 3

TRP -2

TRAS - 7

These are the only things I have set manual the rest is auto - anyone got any hints or tips here, anyone else using this OCZ memory?

I have tried more voltage up to 1.4 so far but no POST. Any ideas?

can anyone tell me What "c1" displayed on the Led means? Dfi has really done a great job providing details on the error readouts of their LED module :rolleyes:

ok I thought it was just me that couldn't find the LED Diagnostic Error Codes or whatever they are called lol

I mean, the 4 LED's were in the manual...but this new LED error thing that everyone wanted...well...we included it...and yet no one bothered to include the error codes?

Or are we just blind???

I think CAT 6.3 should be used, 6.4 has known issues.

Also when running Crossfire, you may have problems with the Catalyst AI function set to advanced, with this board I have found I need to set it to Standard, some games show Crossfire errors when Advanced is used, BF2 SF is one of them.

Thanks AG

aight. I was using Omega drivers, but I will just use the standard ATI 6.3's from here on in my testing

Hmm after testing stablility at stock I am starting overclocking - but I cannot get to 225 FSB.

I have tested and got working - 220 (10x) and HTT Bus of (4x) - this was running at default voltage and ran a 15 mins Prime test fine (I am moving up hence only 15 mins). But move to 225 and I cannot POST.

Might be this new board and its need for manual memory timings - I have specified a 133 divider and have clocked the memory at its standard. This is well within spec. (Running 2T - the aim is to stress the CPU first to see what its got)

TCL - 3

TRCD - 3

TRP -2

TRAS - 7

These are the only things I have set manual the rest is auto - anyone got any hints or tips here, anyone else using this OCZ memory?

I have tried more voltage up to 1.4 so far but no POST. Any ideas?

you need to set max async latency and read preamble manually, the auto function is waaay too tight!

Read this guide that Tony is working on,

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20506

Raja

ok I thought it was just me that couldn't find the LED Diagnostic Error Codes or whatever they are called lol

I mean, the 4 LED's were in the manual...but this new LED error thing that everyone wanted...well...we included it...and yet no one bothered to include the error codes?

Or are we just blind???

aight. I was using Omega drivers, but I will just use the standard ATI 6.3's from here on in my testing

Thanks, I'm certainly no authority on any subject, I remain humble in the presence of the wise..

You may find a few Crossfire issues with the board atm a few graphical glitches here and there, though I think personally, I nailed it down to the AI setting, I'm waiting to hear back from a few sources.

The board is still very new, I was part of the Asus A8R32 bios hunt clan, we had to contact many sites to get the fix required to stop the lag. For the record this board has been a comparative gem.

I'll let you know privatley If I have any info that may assist you in testing.

Hi all.

I've been watching this thread as I am interested in trying this 3200DR. I've had Crossfire X1800XTs for a little while now and have used both the Asus A8R-MVP (terrible, terrible board) and the A8R32-MVP, but I am getting more and more tempted by the DFI. Basically there is nothing really wrong with my A8R32, it's just not overclocking much. I've currently got it at 270x9 with my Opteron, and my previous 3800+ maxed out at 270x10 and it's just not giving me any more, my RAM also seems to be stuck at 230MHz.

I previously had a DFI SLI-DR which I was running at 300x9 with my 3800+ 24/7 and my RAM at 250MHz and I was wondering really if the 3200DR would be better, but it seems to be hit and miss in here. Can people give me some good reasons to change from my Asus please?

Oh, and before anyone suggests it I am not going SLI. I had 2 7800GTXs before for several months and they ended up annoying me so much I switched to 1 X1800XT. For example I had to mess about with the drivers so that the profiles would work, and even then some games still only had half a screen, lol. In comparison my only gripe with Crossfire is not being able to overclock it more than 690/1600 in the CCC, no messing with profiles and it works in every game I play. My SLI-DR was the best motherboard I've ever owned but SLI itself was absolutely poor and I don't really want to go back to a single card (although that has also crossed my mind and getting an NF4 ultra board).

Choices, choices, lol.

@Angry and all

might i just add at this stage that you (Angry) were givin so much conroe lovin before and that that was because of the crossfire scores you had seen, so i dont know why the hell ATI should be annoyed, its there gear that is causing the big fuss and woot's all over. so the chipset isnt totally rockin yet - but nobody has said it wont be - in fact it was you who said it probably WOULD be given time - just the same as Nvidia.

i give mass respect to Angry Games for stating his honest opinion regardless of his position and if i thought he had been bought by a company, i and many others have got plenty of forums to choose from to get our test results and opinions on new products, but we like the way its done here at DFI coz its honest and you know it is. for every Angry rant there's a new DFI devotee guaranteed. and the products are stuck to coz the support is here at the street - which wouldnt be so if he didnt keep it up.

leave off Angry!!!! the site would be lame and the reviews inconsequential if he was 'SUBDUED_GAMES' or 'PASSIVE_GAMES'. his flair inspires.

(err yeah, so about that check in the mail Angry ---___---)