looking for absolutely best heatsink for dual core opty.

Shadow of chaos

letting your PC "sit in the BIOS" does not give idle temps FYI, no full load temps either. but it does use more cpu cycles than "OS idle" - and there for: not comparable.

Whenever the OS executes the halt instruction, the CPU enters what is known as the halt state. Architecturally what's going on in a halt state is the clock signal is shut off to the CPU for some period of time, with no clock signal none of the logic in the chip will do anything and thus power consumption is reduced. Performance is also significantly reduced, however the halt instruction isn't usually called during application usage, so the performance aspects of the halt state aren't very important.

the BIOS does not have a "halt" state, so temps in the BIOS will be higher

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

letting you PC "sit in the BIOS" does not give idle temps FYI, no full load temps either. but it does use more cpu cycles than "OS idle" - and there for: not comparable.

i had a feeling that was going to happen.

I stand corrected. Good info though!

CJ

EDIT: On a side note, my BIOS temps and temps in windows seem to be very close. BIOS temps are 29-30*c, while in os temps at idle are 25-26*c.

yes there will be a height different, if you use a heatsink which has screws and springs to mount you're fine; if you have one which uses the default A64 bracket for mounting you're not.

well maybe you are not tightening the HS enough? are you working in your case? Limited airflow? to much thermal paste? Fan not getting enough RPM's?

how can i not tighten it enough? it clips on. ive repasted and reseated twice. and the fan is full 2800 rpm

DOH!, my bad, I missed that part, sorry, I don't trust clip ons, with a with an adjustable setting you can try to loosed/tighten bolts, or screws to see contact is an issue..........as for a clip device..............not sure how to help you there.

Other then, get a Big Typhoon, that is my advice.

I love mine, and though I am going to water, will keep it, just incase, or for another system.

well it seems to make contact ok, because after i applied paste to the cpu i put the hs on top and then took it off and the paste was then covering the heatsink.

i also managed to bend one of the fins while reseating it :mad: so i bent it back into place with the screw driver.. and this thing is still rubbish

the way it is going i might aswell just dump the whole lot in the river.. or try putting it in the fridge first