Sign in to follow this  
Shadow of chaos

looking for absolutely best heatsink for dual core opty.

Yes, the heatpipe has water in it but it was made in a very low pressure atmosphere, so it boils at around 100F rather than 212F. So it boils, the steam rises to the pins, cools, and water leaks back down with gravity to the cpu to boils again.

The speed of the molecules inside the heatpipe can reach supersonic speeds btw.

So orientation is critcal, you need the water to flow BACK to the cpu, most heatpipe stuff is layed out for ATX rather than BTX usage, as an example.

Im wondering, has anyone experience with the AMD retail opty heatpipe HSF? It looks good, give it a nice lapping and it should work well.

Im wondering, has anyone experience with the AMD retail opty heatpipe HSF? It looks good, give it a nice lapping and it should work well.

i didn't try mine, still sitting in the box. but check this out... AMD Athlon 64 Stock Heatsink with 4 Heat Pipes Tested :rolleyes: it seems pretty nice! ahhh... coolermaster?? interesting...

link to older heatpipe design... AMD Retail Coolers

oh, btw, i love my zalman! keeps the opty nice and cool and looks awesome to boot!

good info about the pipes.. i picked the XP-120 because in a review they said the SI-120 works differently but has "almost" same performance - 1 or 2 degrees.. i dont know this is my second XP-120 and i really like it!

Go for the SI-120 if you fear any compatibility issues i guess..

TT Typhoon, coming from someone with an SI-120

It will perform better.

how much better did you seem ther performance over the SI-120?

CJ

si-120 is awesome! before i overclocked i was getting 26c idle (closed case) and the fan facing the WRONG direction.

i'm sure i could get ;)

SI-120 = no compatibility issues. I'm using a scythe fan on it 65cfm <26 dba.

The case fans are louder than my cpu cooler. exceptional product! I would also consider the scythe ninja. The performance out of that is great!

With the SI-120 I would get 38C Load at 2.8GHz, 1.52vCore

TT BT 34C

I chose SI-120 because I am a thermalright whore, I despise TT, and the Big Typhoon is the uglyiest thing I have seen

I love my xp-120. Not only are the CPU temps really good for me, but it made a HUGE difference on the PWM's and chipset as well. Everything benifits from the xp-120. I am using a panaflo M1A 90cfm 120mm fan and another intaking air from the front of the case. Thats it!! no need for any more fans. I use my PSU's two fans to do all the exhaust work. I have tried having more exhaust fans, but it made no difference. Out of all the combinations i used, the one single panaflo intaking and the psu exhausting worked the best. Thats with a room temp of 73-74*F.

CJ

I chose SI-120 because I am a thermalright whore, I despise TT, and the Big Typhoon is the uglyiest thing I have seen

lol. No kidding. Although, i'm into performance more than looks, from all the testing i did, the xp-120 was the winner. I was going to use whatever worked the best.

CJ

XP-120 might be able to handle higher temps from an opty better than the BT, either way TR FTW

I noticed with the XP-120, with added voltage, the temps barely rise, not like the other hsf's i have tested. Seems as though the xp-120 is more effecient at higher voltages. For instance at 1.450vcore, my temps are 43*c at 1.49vcore, my temps are only 44*c. Thats not much of a move for the amount voltage added. 1.55v barely moved temps to 47*c. All of this is while dual prime95.

Also, you must think about the fact that the dual core opty 165 has a 110w output. Maybe the xp-120 scales better for high output cores.

CJ

I think I've read somewhere that the XP90c beats the XP120 for load temps by a very small amount, but I could be wrong. Either way, I still maintain the Big typhoon's greatness.

Sign in to follow this