looking for absolutely best heatsink for dual core opty.

Shadow of chaos

havent long installed my SI-120 with 120mm ystech fan and at the stock voltage, my cpu was reaching 46C under load.. now i have it at just 1.4v and overclocked a little.. now its hitting 59c and its only been on for like 1-2 mins.. the stock cooler sucks, and this one doesnt seem much better.. and the temps are awful, PWM IC temp already hitting 68c and cpu is like 64c now

Yeah, something is deff not right. That Si-120 should be out-cooling the stock hsf for sure. You might want to try re-setting the hsf and applying AS5 or OCZ Ultra 5+(same exact thermal paste). I would look into that for sure.

CJ

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, something not right.. anyone have any idea what the problem could be? im sure it doesnt need to be reseated, it seems to be fine as it is.. cept the temps are bad

when temps are like that, with a great hsf like the Si-120, you will need to at least try re-setting it. I know it's a pain to take off, clean the bottom and CPU and re-apply thermal paste, but it's worth the effort if you want to rule out all possiblities. You don't want to run your rig hard with temps like that, for sure.

What thermal paste are you using?

CJ

I'm using Artic silver 3, however.. it is old.. i have to admit, i dont know if this stuff goes off or what but it must be about 2-3 years old.

I still think its not the paste though, as i thought that even the stock hs was pretty good and i was getting crappy temps with that aswell, and the thermal stuff on that was already applied to the bottom of that.

anyway, i have paste that came with the heatsink.. dunno if its worth cleaning the AS3 off and using that stock stuff or what..?

I would go with ThermalTake BigTyphoon, i love this bad boy...its pretty ez to installed take about maybe 10 -20 min or so. look at my sign...keeps my cpu cool...38/44c full load only 44c that's not too bad for it being OC 300 fsb 1:1 1.48v timing.....good luck....

bigtyphoon for sure. load temps of 41c. i do have a slightly faster fan on it than stock. stock is 1300rpm currently a 1500rpm fan on it.

what are your ambient temps with a load temp of 41*c @ 1.4v? And what are your stock voltage load temps?

CJ

k i took off the hs and wiped the cpu and hs clean, i put on some of the stock paste stuff that came with the SI 120 and spread it around the whole ihs.

stock voltage and temps are 46-50c dual primes.. still not that good temps

hmm. Ok, go into BIOS and look at your idle temp, let it set for about 5 mins before you jot it down. Then, boot into windows and use whatever you use to moniter temps(smartguardian, speedfan..ect.) see what the idle temp is there and compare(after 5 min idle). Post the results up for us to see.

CJ