SLI crashing - Signal Frequency is out of range

I use PS2 Keyboard and Mouse.

I know this sounds creasy, but out of desperation, I decided to remove the Nvidia PCI Controller driver.

The PC rebooted, rediscovered SLI, and rediscovered the PCI memory controller and SMB bus. When it asked me for a driver I didn’t install Nvidia and now I have two yellow question marks.

That really doesn’t concern me as Windows is using generic drivers for now.

To make sure, I tested the PC using SiSandra and my memory, CPU, hard drive benchmarks are all still the same; I didn’t loose anything. 3Dmark still reports the same score.

I ran the game for a while and no crashes this time.

I’m currently running SuperPI to make sure the machine is stable, and then I will run 3DMark all night as well. So far it looks quite stable.

The only reason I did that is I noticed the keyboard/mouse/hard drives all freeze with the screen. The PCI controller module is the only option left within Nvidia driver, and it sounds like it might do the trick.

If this proves correct, I will not install the driver till Nvidia releases a new version. Hopefully they’ll fix it this time.

I’ll keep you posted.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using USB keyboard and Mouse, and I am crashing. Not as often as everyone else in this thread though.

Yeah the crashing is intermittent sometimes after a couple of minutes, sometimes after a couple of hours.It is very strange, it has been 2 days now with the 11/02 bios and so far all is well ;)

I am going to create a new thread for this titled "SLI-DR Expert with SLI causes Game Crashes." I believe the reason we haven't seen very many mods are admins on here is because this thread's title and the first page sound like this is a monitor problem, rather than a motherboard/computer issue. In addition, having 9 pages probably makes most people assume that the problem has either been fixed or can not be fixed. The new thread can be found here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44874

Hopefully a new thread with a more applicable title will help get the attention of those who may know how to fix this problem (or know who to talk to about getting it fixed). I'd like to encourage all of you to check out the new thread though it isn't completely necessary since I have included all of our hardware specs in addition to our tests so that the new thread has a basic summary of this entire thread in a fairly easy to read format. If anyone posts any solutions in the new thread, I will repost it in this thread for any who do not see it in the new one.

Nice one

Thanks. Hopefully I've included all the pertinent information so we can skip past the "Maybe the PSU is dead, try replacing it" posts. 99.99% of all DFI-Street users are pretty helpful I'd say, but I think between all of us here we have probably tried every single obvious fix to this problem, so with luck people will post new ideas that we haven't thought of (or better yet, know exactly how to fix the problem though I don't want to get my hopes up to high at this point, heh).

• 2 months later...

My pc was running prime stable, playing all the latest games max setting no probs :) .

Got the out of "Signal Frequency is out of range" / sound loop error for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and have been following this thread looking for a solution.

The only things that had changed in my system from stable setup to unstable were addition of the x-fi card and video driver updates.

I figured is could be the result of :

1. need for more power,

2. driver conflict (sound blaster /,NVIDIA)

3. hardware conflict (x-fi/ nForce4)

4. heat

It started to lock up from time to time usually two or three hours in to hardcore gaming.

Then the other day booted up and tried to play Need For Speed Most Wanted crashed in less than 10 Minutes. On investigation I realized that none of my additional fans were not on! (forgot to turn on the fanbus)

The addition of the sound card had reduced the air flow to the lower card due to the position of the fans in my case. Everest was reporting it up to 10deg C warmer while gaming.

By killing the additional fans I can replicate the problem

So guys I think I could be heat related. A bigger fan seamed to have solved my problems.

Will keep you in formed.

Try sticking a big fan blowing on to the Graphics cards. See if that solves your probs.

Btw running on xp64