SLI crashing - Signal Frequency is out of range

Sorry to hear that guys i left mine running all night running COD2 which would always crash within 5 minutes and guess what it was still running in the morning.

I am very sure now it's power related, is there any chance you guys can borrow another PSU and try that.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw in another post someone was running a X1800 XT and he was also getting the out of range signal, so it doesn't look to be a SLI fault.

I know it can be a little difficult setting up this board with so many options and the like, but it really is sweet when you do manage to sort things out.

I made some more tweaks to the PC last night inc setting a fixed refresh rate in the Nvidia Drivers (60hz) then shut the PC down for an hour or so. Turned it back on and gamed with no probs.

Tried it again this morning and it crashed within 1min of playing BF2.

I think the expression ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sums up my life.

Guys, I think I have something here:

When I moved to the new case, I could see now when it crashes that the hard disk, that is activity lights i mean, would go off as well.

I rerouted the cables and got the SLI to have its own line but it still crashed.

I searched XFX forums and few guys had the same issue with Asus A8N32, I started to think that "May be it's the Video card then?".

Listen to this, whenever I ran 3Dmark looped, it would crash within minutes. So, I underclocked the video card by 10% from 500/1000 to 495/990 and guess what? WORKS LIKE A DREAM. I played Painkiller, looped 3dmark and it's kicking.

I know underclocking is the last thing we people wanna do, but I guess these cards are way overclocked from factory.

I have lost less than 4% performance, a small price to pay to get this rig stable.

Try it and see how you go.

One more thing, just running the cards at default clock still caused the rig to crash; I had to underclock 10% from factory! damn you XFX.

I'll keep you posted.

I have the problem whether my XFX 7800GT's are running defualt (450) or at 490. I've also read those articles on underclocking but what a stupid fix that would be if the whole idea of buying 2 decent cards is to overclock.....

I may try that when I get time and will post my results.

Good luck. I did all my benchmarks and the performance drop is really Negligible. I played some games last night with heavy textering, AA, AF and it still kicks arse.

Good luck, I just passed 6 hours straight with 3dmark looping; I can breathe now.

Keeps us posted PredatorUK.

Well i did a little more research into this to see what i could find and guess what else i found.If i change my broadband connection to the Marvell Yukon Network adapter i got a signal out of range crash again.So i rebooted again and used the Nvidia one and stable as no hard locks.So which connection are you all using and what version drivers.I,m using the 7.29 drivers off of DFI website.Please post back i'm really interested in sorting this out for everyone

i am using both.

the signal out of range problem does not occur everytime.... sometimes yes.. it hasnt occurred however for the past few days...

i think there are certain parameters that are taking place before the out of sync occurs.. but i dont know what they are....

right now i am running with

floppy connection directly on mobo, default monitor disabled in device manager and overriding refresh rates in nvidia control panel to the optimum for my monitor which is 60hz..

dunno if that is a fix.... or if it has actually fixed it.. i have to wait and see..

I've been having these exact same problems the last few weeks (only started noticing them then since that is when I got my overclock stable). Trying several of the suggested solutions I have read in this thread to see if it helps. So far I have disabled the Default Monitor and switched to the nVidia Network Controller. Going to test a bit on Day of Defeat: Source. Tomorrow I'll check my power cables to see what else is plugged in. Also, I don't know if anyone has tried it, but I have tested with both the 81.98 drivers and the 81.95 drivers so far and had crashes in both.

Anyone gotten any sort of official help yet on this problem, here at DFI or XFX or nVidia?

To be honest I think the only common bit of kit here is the MB. We're all using different models of grafx cards, memory, cpu's and PSU's.

Perhaps we're trying to fix the unfixable and DFI need to pull their heads out of their arses and address this matter.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue, but how the hell are there SLI issues so far down the road in this technology???

It kind of defeated the whole point of building this PC.