IHS Removal Tutorial (AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Angry_Games

Is the Zalman CNPS 9500 a bolt down like the 7700 or is it a clamp down like the XP-120. If it is a clamp down, is there any other way besides sanding down the retention bracket?

For example, my current heatsink is a bolt down, but has spring stoppers to prevent to much force being put down. To bypass that, I offset the top of the spring stopper by 2 mm by using nylon washers I got from Home Depot.

Is there any such trick with clamp down heatsinks or am I stuck with sanding the bracket?

I don't know the expert Board. but on the 250 theres 4 little stubs used for heatsinks stops. you can razor blade them off if your expert board has them. will give you some more presser

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg lies! :eek:

Agree with above! COMPLETE LIES! i'm here too :) .

Anyway, Very nice guide dude, well made.

I don't think i'll be doing it to my soon to come x2 4200 though, not yet either way XD Although I will have a bolt-down cpu WATER COOLING block [mp-05 aquaxtreme to be exact] but I don't have the nerves to cut it up yet XD.

Plus I hear too many horror stories of faliures that killed the chip completly X_X

either way good job lol.

-Jo.

• 4 weeks later...

was never planing to do this, but i was lapping my cpu (ihs) and noticed that some water had goten between the bits of tape i was using to keep the lectric-bits dry and was around the base of the ihs, where it joins with the board the cpu die and little 8-pin SMD thingys are on.

Freaked out and (very carefully) did this(ihs removal), water had only gone in about 1mm, so it prob would have been ok, but before i removed it i had mno way of knowing... dried it all out and cleaned the paste from top of the die

anyway, got home from work that night and plugged her in (have all the bits on the desk while i do a case mod or 2) put the heat sink back on(with liquid), plugged K/B, mouse, screen in, put on new NB cooler, and inst vid card, turned the psu on and the system turned on with it (no leads for power button installed) screen stayed in standby mode, but no post, nor even black screen...

tried the video card in the other computer, it works... could i have shorted something out while having everything on the desk that could have made it always_on when psu powered up?

note: have never run the pc im refering to as a testbed before, so i have no idea how they usually behave in this environment...

or, worst case senario, could i have damaged the die while putting it on? would that make it always-on?

i will be testing the cpu in another pc asap... but in the mean time, if anyone has any ideas?(edit: have tried reset cmos)

If all you did was turn the PSU on, the computer isn't on. There's a vertical row of two buttons right at the bottom of the board, about two inches in from the right-hand side. The bottom button is the power button. When you turn the PSU on, a few LEDs on the board will light up, but it's just in standby mode.

If all you did was turn the PSU on, the computer isn't on. There's a vertical row of two buttons right at the bottom of the board, about two inches in from the right-hand side. The bottom button is the power button. When you turn the PSU on, a few LEDs on the board will light up, but it's just in standby mode.

the board powered up, all fans started...

ended up getting the on button plugged in... still didnt work... but i could turn it off without having to use the psu switch...

Update: found coolaboratory liquid pro on an ic beside the cpu socket... could be my prob, going to test the cpu in another system to make sure...

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings ,i m planning on removing ihs but i got stock hs on my opteron 148 do i need to mod its base to fit ?

Generally speaking they only recommend a bolt-through cooler if you're going to remove the IHS. Clip on coolers apply too much uneven force for it to be safe, you could crack the core.