Irql_not_less_or_equal (bsod) :(

I don't know what the problem is. Every now and then my system crashes and leaves me with a Blue Screen with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. My system was rock stable overclocked, but to solve the problem, i went back to default settings (with a little bit more voltage in RAM and CPU just to be 101% sure). I initially thought it was a RAM issue, so i ran a TRIPLE Prime95 and after 2 minutes, one instance failed. So i went to BIOS and enabled Memtest, left it running for 1 hour in default settings and passed all tests 2 times. Is that a proof that my RAM is OK? I have 2x512MB OCZ PC4800 Premium. What could the problem be?

I tried to leave only 1 module at a time in my system, but as soon as i take 1 module out, my system doesn't start. I have the modules in the orange slots. In order to work with 1 module only, should i put the only module in the yellow slot?

My other thought was that it may be a driver issue. But i didn't install any new drivers except the ATI drivers. I did a complete uninstall of ATI software plus a cleanup with CAT Uninstaller, then installed 5.13 CCC. Still the problem remains... :(

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I need a stable system, i already lost 10 days worth of downloading during holidays just because i was away and the system was idle with a blue screen... :(

i already lost 10 days worth of downloading

:shake: Found that very funny for some reason

Anyway, you need to run memtest for like 24hrs to verify stability, and even then it may not be stable. Memtest is horrible at catching failures IMO, with both of my 2GB kits that I've had I can run memtest 270+ while I can't play games at 100MHz (both kits failed)

Also to work with 1 module it needs to be in slot 1 or 2 (2 preferably because it's orange).

I ran memtest on my settings for 11 hours, 14 tests 0 errors, 29 hours on prime before i stopped it. but ever since i begain playing with that damn IDE SW driver, windows will not stop crashing randomly even with it uninstalled. Without it, whats the point? SATA drive = IDE udma6, I couldnt be more frustrated..

I never install the firewall. I did uninstall the drivers when I updated to newest BIOS as told, but Im still getting crashes, and no SATA controller in windows, so I dont know what is up. Seems I have been getting crashes randomly since I even attempted SW IDE driver install from the beginning. I don't want to reinstall windows again right now, but I really need to figure out wtf is going on, cause its really agravating me..

I have this same problem intermittantly, maybe 1 boot in 10 it will BSOD and reboot the system. Strangely enough, It has never done this whenever I try to boot xpx64, just the 32bit version. not that big of a problem, more like a minor annoyance in an otherwise stable system

Problem as I see it is you are randomly trying this and that and thats a great way to wind up frustrated.

start at the begining and go through it one step at a time from low level up.

get latest BIOS, or if you do make sure you do a proper clear CMOS, and save over top of any of your CMOS reloaded settings after you flash and clear.

looks like you already verified your RAM, next would be a HDD diagnostics, not in windows that depends on two many varriables, download the proper bootable utility to test the drive from your manufacturer (don't bother with quick test go right to the full)

make sure all cables are firmly connected SATA cables have a really sucky connection and are easily set loose.

after that (I know you hate to hear it) a fresh windows install, btw fresh means delete the partition and full format, not dump overtop cause your two lazy to do a backup, get a spare drive to use for testing if you must. Don't load it up with all your favourite little apps and utilities because that just complicates the issue keep it as "bare bones" as you can, and if possible run your PC with no printers, usb stuff, disconnect any optical drives unless you need them, if you still have the problem you have removed all of the above as possible suspects.

If the problem goes away start adding your hardware and software back in one at a time, taking the time to fully stress the system before you add the next peice back into the puzzle.

If the problem persists at that point you are left with the Vid Car, mobo, cpu, or PSU (or possibley the quality of power the PSU is being fed a good UPS to run your PC on will remove that problem).

The PSU can be swaped out easily enough, as can the vid card (you only need a peice of crap pci card to run prime, superPI, or OCCT)

the cpu & mainboard are tougher unless you have a buddy to swap with or to try them in anothers system (unless you got money to burn on spare parts).

I know it sounds like a royal pain in the ASCII but take my word for it... if you bite the bullet and troubleshoot methodically in the end it's faster and less frustrating then just trying this or that because it seems like this or that, your PC is a SYSTEM and any part of the system can cause any other part to be upset therefore the symptom you see may not relate to the actuall faulty part (Those damn evil USB to PS2 adaptor's are created by SATAN!)

If you don't have the patience or resources to do it get a proffesional to have a go at it for ya, just make sure he has more credentials then a screwdriver :)

good luck

Every windows install is a fresh one with a new partition here, i dont play games. I tried memtest, i tried prime, i used WD diagnostics, nothing shows a single error. All i get is windows crashing because of this IDE driver i installed. Without it i have no SATA speed. i installed windows with no OC and only the SATA drive, put PATA drives back after install. Did it change the SATA controller problem? Nope. I apologize if i sound rude, but I have delt with this SATA prob since I got this mobo. I am a bit drunk ATM but yet I have been frustrated since day one with this SATA drive. I keep posting for help and I seem to get little response. This Post was on page 5 for almost 2 days. I don't like upsetting people, but some pc problems upset me more then cancer... I just want to solve this minor problem with windows and move on. Please excuse my vocal aditude.

Sorry guyz but please stick to the topic, if you do have a problem with your own rig, please post a new topic.

Now after some testing for my own problem posted on the top, i tried some of your solutions (software related) but none worked. I did a complete uninstall of ATI drivers, NVIDIA drivers etc, installed all newest ones (nVIDIA 6.70 and ATI 5.13), nothing. Still the problem remains. That is, after a day or two, my system would go on a BSOD with the exact same error...

I just had a BSOD a couple of minutes ago while being idle (idle = downloading with Azureus and FlashFXP, wasn's sitting in front of the PC). I turned it off, put out one RAM module (the one in the upper side) and tried the other one. My system would report an error with only 1 module in the slots next to the CPU, but posted OK in the upper orange slot (didn't try the upper yellow slot). So now i am with only 1 module (1x512MB). Will leave it like that for a couple of days until it gives me a BSOD again. If not, i will put the other module and do the same thing. Then i might have some results whether it is a RAM issue or not. I will be away for the weekend, so hopefully it won't give me a BSOD again and lose 2 days worth of downloading repoman! :P :P :P